Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

(PROBLEMS LISTED AT BOTTOM). I just finished building my 13 VT. This is my Daily and my goal was to build something that was efficient on gas but I could also have some fun when needed. It has less than 500 miles on the engine. I am having two issues. A little background about this build. This is my 4th engine build and I have 10+ years of mechanic experience. This has me stumped. Any help or advice is much appreciated. I have no Cel.

The build (13 Stock Tune):
  • Bored block to 77.5 MM and decked at Shacklet automotive in Nashville
  • Head built by Shacklet automotive in Nashville
  • 77.5MM Traum Pistons
  • Molnar rods
  • King Main bearings
  • Hyundai rod bearings
  • New OEM Coil packs
  • HSK Spark Plugs
  • Injen CAI
  • Tork Pipe
  • Tork Motorsport Downpipe
  • All OEM seals
  • New timing chain components (reused cam phasers)
  • Fuel injectors cleaned and tested at Injector RX
  • New OEM Borg warner turbo
  • Oil Catch can
  • Braided Fuel Line
  • New OEM HP Fuel Pump
  • Upgraded Mac solenoids
  • Assco Flywheel
  • OEM Clutch
  • Braided clutch line
  • All new front and reart end suspension

• Problem 1- A rachet sound that I can only hear in the cabin. I have stethoscoped the engine from top to bottom and cannot pick up the sound in the engine bay only in the cabin. The High-pressure pump is the only thing that has a sound that is remotely the same. I replaced the fuel pump lifter and pump and am still getting the same sound. The only time it stops is when I left off the throttle with the car still in any gear and the sound stops. As soon as I touch the throttle it comes back.
    • New HP Pump
    • New Braided fuel line
    • Fuel injectors cleaned and tested at Injector RX
    • New HP pump lifter
    • The tank pump is on order

• Problem 2- Power loss at 4500 rpm in any gear. I think the wastegate is opening at 4500 RMP causing a complete loss of power. This happens with light or heavy throttle.
    • I have changed both solenoids with mac vales
    • Cleaned the IC during the build. No leaks.
    • Turbo smart dual-port BOV.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,151 Posts
The sound is most likely NVH from the fuel line from a mediocre install. Very common with most installs of the braided steel lines.

The power cut will have to be sorted with more details and datalogs for sure. With everything that can cause that and the mods on the car it will be more difficult to sort remotely but doable.

Why did you go with a smaller displacement than oem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@trdtoy sorry was a typo on my piston size. 77.5 mm. I had some nasty scratches in my cylinder walls when I pulled the engine apart.

I'll look at the fuel line tomorrow. thought I routed and secured it pretty well when it was installed.

What do you recommend for pulling data logs? I am new to the Veloster game and did not plan on doing all of this but here I am and loving it.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
168 Posts
@trdtoy sorry was a typo on my piston size. 77.5 mm. I had some nasty scratches in my cylinder walls when I pulled the engine apart.

I'll look at the fuel line tomorrow. thought I routed and secured it pretty well when it was installed.

What do you recommend for pulling data logs? I am new to the Veloster game and did not plan on doing all of this but here I am and loving it.

thanks again.
Seconded on the fuel line install, had to get some rubber sleeving for mine to stop. I placed it at the two contact points going from the HPFP down underneath the car, and one where it goes back up into the fuel tank area. Otherwise, it sounds like:
Font Wood Circle Writing implement Musical instrument accessory

·
Administrator
6,151 Posts
This ^^^^^ lol! Need to isolate and inaulate from the body.

For datalogs obdlink LX, torque pro app, android device.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for the advice. I have ordered the obdlink lx. Should be here tomorrow. I will get some data sent over ASAP. This thing feels strong. But cuts out right before all the fun is about to happen. lol

I am going to install rubber isolation on the fuel line today and see if that changes it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good to hear! In regards to the power loss, you've added a ton of power. Are you still using the factory wastegate and solenoid, or is it aftermarket? The OEM tune cuts power at a certain point, and you may have exceeded it with the amount of mods performed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unless it's a big turbo, not really. There is one available via Forge Motorsports, but that's intended for very high HP applications. Just curious if the new turbo you put in had one attached since you said it was opening. If it's still using a solenoid, then that means the ECU is telling it to open for one reason or another. We'd need to figure out what's causing it to open. Any CEL?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you tuned the car? With the mods you listed your issue sounds like a factory tune maybe the problem. Especially since you said you had the head custom built. The engine probably just needs to be tunes to your mods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless it's a big turbo, not really. There is one available via Forge Motorsports, but that's intended for very high HP applications. Just curious if the new turbo you put in had one attached since you said it was opening. If it's still using a solenoid, then that means the ECU is telling it to open for one reason or another. We'd need to figure out what's causing it to open. Any CEL?
No CEL.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What tune do you guys recommend? I am not really wanting to go full race car. LOL. Since this is my DD.
You don't necessarily need a hot rod tune, trdtroy does quite a bit of VT tuning and would be the one to ask about that

Also, Do you guys know what the plug/ connector is on the Waste gate solenoid?
As in, the electrical connector? I'm not sure what the question is referring to

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You don't necessarily need a hot rod tune, trdtroy does quite a bit of VT tuning and would be the one to ask about that

As in, the electrical connector? I'm not sure what the question is referring to
I was able to find the connection type for the bov solenoid (ev1). The waste gate solenoid connector is different. I am wanting to upgrade to the pierburg solenoid. but need to make a connector. this both solenoids will be pierburg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah, got it. I believe SXTH element makes a pierburg upgrade kit, you might be able to contact their support to get an answer. I'm unfamiliar with the names of the connectors, only the shapes

·
Administrator
6,151 Posts
I can tune the car if you want. You may need one with your mods to not hit tune limiters and have a safer tune at a minimum even if you do not want to add much power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can tune the car if you want. You may need one with your mods to not hit tune limiters and have a safer tune at a minimum even if you do not want to add much power.
@trdtoy I would definitely be interested in talking with you more about a tune. Today I installed the Peirburg BOV solenoid and the DW65C in-tank fuel pump with no change. Still cutting out at 4300rpm to 4500rmp. Also, I do not have any BOV flutter or any CEL. It's essentially like an on/off switch at that RPM. Pulls super hard and then stops. Let off the throttle rev down and then back on the throttle with no hesitation. Runs great and just cuts out at that RPM range. Below is a link to a random assortment of pulls and runs from today. Please let me know if you want me to add any sensors or provide this in a different format.

Google Doc No tune Data Log

1 - 20 of 26 Posts