Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, on a drive down to Louisiana from Indiana, my VT suddenly started acting really weird and shuddering badly. I managed to coax it to a dealership near Nashville, TN, where the diagnosis was grim: it did as the 2013s do and threw a rod, totally borking #2 cylinder and who knows what else is damaged. The car had 103,000 miles on it.
I've done some looking online but it seems our engine is hard to come by. I'd like to price out a 2014 or newer engine so that this doesn't happen again. Since engines are 2-3k, and labor would probably be something similar, I might just scrap the car, blue book on it is around 7k, I am not sure that it would be worthwhile to fix. Let me know any thoughts or recommendations you might have as far as rebuilding/replacing the engine.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,806 Posts
Car-part.com for a good used engine 15-17 lower miles the better. Labor to install should not be high at a private shop, dealer yes due to high shop rates. Car is not worth near as much not running as it is with a good engine.

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
67 Posts
Is your VT part of the new recall started in January of 2021?
That spark plug looks horrendous. Were you running any mods? Which fuel? Plug damage like that means the combustion temp was really high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to vin, no though I am fairly certain it is the issue they are talking about. Car is bone stock, 87 octane, not sure from what gas station.

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
67 Posts
Based on your account of the issue, I am a bit skeptical of the diagnosis. Any time I have heard of or witnessed someone throwing a rod (I have seen it twice at Autocross) it is so disastrous that the distance limped is measured in feet, not limping to a service department. Parts fly through the oil pan like shrapnel. Even in the cases where an oil pan holds up, the debris destroys the engine as bits are pumped with the oil. Even spinning a rod bearing (if you just used the wrong terminology) is disastrous and makes such a horrendous sound you just dont drive it. Continuing to drive with a spun bearing normally results in the piston wedging and seizing. Aside from the mention of no compression, it sounds like you just toasted the spark plug and limped to the service department with a dead (non-firing) cylinder. The lack of compression could have been from apparently vaporizing the spark plug gasket (I dont seem to see one intact in the pic). A detonation could have toasted a valve though. Did anyone inspect with a borescope or were there any other more obvious signs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts