Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive on the Highway at 65mpg for a 100 mile round trip I am only getting around 27mpg at the pump. Computer usually says around 29. I guess I can live with that even though it is not that great. The problem is that my wife commutes in our small town with our car. She drives less than 3 miles round trip to work and back. She doesn't even let the car rev over 2500rpm. The computer says that she is only getting 15.6MPG with 100% in town driving. I realize that city driving is less, but this is as bad as my 4200lb, 4x4, V6, brick shaped Jeep Liberty. Is there something wrong with my car?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't listen to the computer. Next fill up reset the trip meter. Next fill up, divide number of miles drivin by number of gallons you put in. Simple. Computers don't know anything about the road ahead, and the road behind so mpg estimates are never going to work.

·
Vendor
1,989 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I don't think it's an issue with the car, stop and go city driving will definitely make a big impact on your MPG. Also, are you sure she doesn't take it over 2500rpm? She might be driving like Steve McQueen when you're not in the car lol

Nick C.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Kind of similar experience. Right after my daughter was born my mother in law was using the VT while she was here. I left it with the computer saying 32, got back in a week and a new tank later and it was down to 17....I'm pretty sure it's just the way she drives. She is very "jerky" with the accelerator and the brake. Just remember if you brake quickly instead of coasting to a stop your mpg will go down like crazy!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Also dont forget its winter, and winter mix gas is craptacular at best.

Another thing to keep in mind, essentially every time you hit the brake you waste gas
*think about it*

and +1 for manual calculation.. The computer calc is good for long trips, but not so much on short ones.

·
Banned
929 Posts
Don't listen to the computer. Next fill up reset the trip meter. Next fill up, divide number of miles drivin by number of gallons you put in. Simple. Computers don't know anything about the road ahead, and the road behind so mpg estimates are never going to work.
Yep, do that an you will be fine :wink:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It's bc most of the time the car is in park idling. The computer will tank your mpg rating while idling. Go fill up dive like a mile and then go park it and watch the mpg drop.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Maybe your GF is under 2.5k but if she goes into boost accelerating thats what lowers the mpg. Take it for a test and watch the instantaneous gauge and accelerate up to 35mph below 2.5k rpm. Also if your area is hilly like mine that also affects mpg really bad unless your trip is all downhill :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The fact that its a short commute like that has more of an impact than stop and go. The car essentially never warms up and a warm engine is the only time you get optimal fuel efficiency. My avg MPG always drops dramatically in my first couple miles and then gradually catches up. If her whole commute is during warm up then these results make sense. And a V6 will warm up faster since there are more cylinders doing the warming.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
i have mpg issues too! i babied mine to see what the deal was the best i can get is 24 and im back to full stock except exhaust now! sometimes im in the teens and thats with partial highway driving! i have a ton of soot all over the back!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I get 17, but that is hauling ass on the way to work. In the city I usually get 21, but then again I drive like an asshat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I was beginning to worry, but it looks like my car might not be messed up. She drives about a mile and a half to work and there are 4 stop signs on the way, so I guess that might sum up the problem. She also never coasts before braking... foot leaves gas straight to the brake pedal. I see some have similar experiences. I get out of the car after about 60 highway miles and the computer says something like 34mpg. I can get in the car wednesday after it has been driven around 10 miles stop and go and it will be down to the low 20s mpg. Like said earlier, if I fill up and have only in town driving, the computer says it is getting 15-16mpg. Haven't tested city mileage at the pump yet, but I will.

-87octane fuel (usually from Shell or BP)
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
-Tires are aired up
-5200 miles

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think I could get under 15 mpg if I tried.

Short city trips and long stop and go traffic is horrible for the VT's mileage.

Roll it out at 60 mph in 6th gear and the mileage will amaze you.

Around town, not so much.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
the only reason i think there is complaints it bc of the purposed epa! its total bs
And right around the time I was getting mine the EPA estimates went down. I think city used to be 29 and highway 37. Now its what, 25/34? Set on cruise control at 60 I can get way over 34 so ive been lucky to be above EPA estimates...so far. During the whole rebate thing with hyundai I was getting well above posted with my accent, so I never even sent in a claim. Are you guys shifting above 3k rpm? I usually shift between 2000-2750 unless of course I'm racing somebody.

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
And right around the time I was getting mine the EPA estimates went down. I think city used to be 29 and highway 37. Now its what, 25/34? Set on cruise control at 60 I can get way over 34 so ive been lucky to be above EPA estimates...so far. During the whole rebate thing with hyundai I was getting well above posted with my accent, so I never even sent in a claim. Are you guys shifting above 3k rpm? I usually shift between 2000-2750 unless of course I'm racing somebody.
I got 39mpg doing 80 over a 600 mile trip. Was so epic. I even had four or five highway pulls against other cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts