Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two of these sitting around if anyone wants them. $15 each shipped in lower 48!

Many benefits to running one of these on any VT especially the auto cars!

20170515_160148.jpg

·
Registered
872 Posts
what would be the benefit? What is the temp rating on the OEM T-Stat?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oem is 180°f

More power/power potential
Better mpg
Less lspi/missfire potential
Cooler iats
Cooler engine bay
Cooler oil
Cooler atf

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is there any potential downside to this? In the cold perhaps? I imagine the cooling fans still only come on when they are coded to.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One sold
One still up for grabs

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any potential downside to this? In the cold perhaps? I imagine the cooling fans still only come on when they are coded to.
Fan will still come on around 203°f-205°f.

Down side is in cooler weather the temps can get into the 150's if you decelerate in gear for an extended period which will cause slight power cut due to not being what is setup as the full operating temperature. This is somewhere around 156°f or so.....

These run at 170-172°f in a VT normal driving so have to decelerate in gear a bit to drop below that point.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wondering if I should pick one up for both our cars. Hmmm...

This is a pain in the azz to change on my Sky (but may have a sticking T-stat)...but where is the housing on a VT? From what I've been able to see, looks like it is on the left side of the engine (which is facing the front of the car) below the intake manifold...looks like it is a pain to get to.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, How much of a mission is install?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Drain coolant, replace t-stat and put better coolant in, like AMSOIL HD. trdtoy can advise where the t-stat is physically located, or you can look in the service manual.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Housing is below the alternator and intake manifold toward front side of car on passenger side. Removing alternator makes the swap super easy as you can see what you're working with but can be done without doing this. Any way you go about it plan for an hour to make the swap.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have you considered how going to a colder thermostat effect the Engine: IE
Engine oil contamination with moisture and acid forming in the oil?
A richer not completely atomized fuel mixture washing the oil film off the bore increasing engine wear and drag?
Engine running below optimal temperature of factory tune and effect on fuel economy?
Richer ECU commanded fuel mixture from lower engine temperature and effect of black soot forming blocking Catalytic converter and exhaust system?
How will this effect the ugly black soot out of the exhaust over the exhaust tips and up the back of the car?
Moisture non-issue. Only lowered cvvt temps 4° or so on my car. So no big difference there. And remember the oil is still being heated up by hot engine internal parts as well as the turbo CHRA which is very hot.

The temperature change will not have an effect on afr, fuel atomization, etc

Still runs in operating range of oem and aftermarket tunes and mpg will improve slightly.

This will not cause a rich condition or make soot worse. The soot on the oem tune is not from just being rich at WOT but has a lot to do with injection timing events at any afr.

No one is going to get me bent out of shape in any way so no worries here. I try to discuss facts and data vs opinion. If anyone wants to argue or disagree with facts based on data per their opinion it does not upset me as that is their issue.

Reactions: rspec2014

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He seemed to want more detailed answers based on valid concerns so I answered them.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took a 30 mile drive today to monitor temps during. This was mostly at 60-70 mph with a mix of side roads, hills, flats, etc. I even made 10 WOT pulls in 4th gear from 3k to redline during the drive. Here are some temp specs:

Ambient was 73°f-77°f
ATF maxed out at 155°f
Coolant and trans was 168°f-176°f
CVVT was 196°f-204°f

0 Misfires reported during the drive on torque app under test results. This was on a 20+ psi tune with agressive timing. 93 pump gas. No water or meth used. Iats never went more than 16°f over ambient.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Remember one thing this is a for sale thread... keep it to to either purchasing the item or do not post. Questions can be sent via PM's

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still have one up for grabs

·
Registered
702 Posts
Fan will still come on around 203°f-205°f.

Down side is in cooler weather the temps can get into the 150's if you decelerate in gear for an extended period which will cause slight power cut due to not being what is setup as the full operating temperature. This is somewhere around 156°f or so.....

These run at 170-172°f in a VT normal driving so have to decelerate in gear a bit to drop below that point.
trd, doesn't the fuel cut during engine braking anyways?

Or are you saying that if I hit the gas after engine braking for extended period of time, there'll be a power cut?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ECU cuts power below certain coolant temps upon heavier throttle application.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What is the gasket part # for the tstat housing? I'd rather not use the one I've had on there for 120k miles.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Use the OEM gasket. I have found that some aftermarket gasket may leak at times but never a leak from the OEM gasket thus far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts