Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I don’t want a loud exhaust all the time. I was wondering what would be your opinions on the best way to put an electronic cutout onto the factory exhaust of a 1st gen Veloster turbo? The kit comes with a y pipe that I could potentially use to replace the flex pipe right before the resonator and have the cutout dumped there off to the side or create a custom pipe that connects the cutout before the resonator but people say the exhaust sounds better resonated. I could possibly weld a curved pipe right before the muffler so that it wraps around the muffler and have the cutout near the end of the curved pipe dumping out right beside the muffler as seen in some of these photos/diagrams with red markings I’ll post. A metal attachment from the new pipe to the mufflers original exhaust hanger for stability and I can wire it from anywhere on any side of the car. Or possibly other ways you guys can come up with that could be better. Thanks in advance.
87F62962-346F-45E9-9C65-D10586F19D6A.jpeg
A81770BA-4CF4-4378-BAB1-B459AB3B80D7.jpeg
19911BA9-6017-43EC-9A1E-B361FF8A811A.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,962 Posts
Put it where it will fit and where you want it based on sound preference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the MBRP catback with resonator, which replaces the second cat and muffler. It's pretty damn near straight pipe with only a very mild resonator, and I love the sound even with the stock downpipe. Plenty loud when I want it to be and quiet the rest of the time. With that said, I think resonated is the way to go.

Since your cutout is basically cutting off the rest of the exhaust system after it, you can disconnect sections of the exhaust to figure out what it'll sound like at a given point. Try starting it with the muffler removed and with the entire catback removed to see what it'll sound like installed at a given point, then go from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just ordered a Granatelli slip-fit cutout! I'm super excited. It comes as a tube already so it replaces 9" of what is otherwise straight tubing. I think I'm going to put it in the longest straight part (location 1 in my drawing) but I'm also considering using it to replace the (is it cat #2 or resonator??) thing at location #2 in my drawing.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered a Granatelli slip-fit cutout! I'm super excited. It comes as a tube already so it replaces 9" of what is otherwise straight tubing. I think I'm going to put it in the longest straight part (location 1 in my drawing) but I'm also considering using it to replace the (is it cat #2 or resonator??) thing at location #2 in my drawing.
According to the developmental analysis documentation on the 1.6T which is posted over in Veloster Performance, that's the "Main" catalytic converter, as compared to the "Primary" Catalytic converter in the downpipe. Makes sense, right? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
#2 in drawing is a resonator in the 13-15 VT exhaust. Both cats are in the lower DP section on these year models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
#2 in drawing is a resonator in the 13-15 VT exhaust. Both cats are in the lower DP section on these year models.
Ah I see. I'll place it back of the resonator then bc that will be easiest placement and smoothest sound.

So then my secondary cat (the drillable one) is where?

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Ah I see. I'll place it back of the resonator then bc that will be easiest placement and smoothest sound.

So then my secondary cat (the drillable one) is where?
After the resonator will have the same sound as a muffler delete.

Both cats are drillable on any model VT made thus far. 13-15 has 2 cats in the lower DP section. 16+ has a cat in the upper DP section and another in the beginning of the mid pipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts