Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. Noobie over here to the forums, I created an account solely to ask this question.

I have a 2013 VT 6-speed and I'm trying to determine what direction to go with this car. I do plan on keeping it for a while so here we go:

The 2019 2nd gen VT N model has the 2.0T from the sonata in it. I'm wondering whether that will bolt right up in the first generation VT since its the same motor that is used in the 2nd gen VT N or would i be required to do a shit ton of Fabrication and customization that'll cost more than what the car itself is worth.

Help, directions, or even a 2.0 swap guide would be great.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,654 Posts
Good evening everyone. Noobie over here to the forums, I created an account solely to ask this question.

I have a 2013 VT 6-speed and I'm trying to determine what direction to go with this car. I do plan on keeping it for a while so here we go:

The 2019 2nd gen VT N model has the 2.0T from the sonata in it. I'm wondering whether that will bolt right up in the first generation VT since its the same motor that is used in the 2nd gen VT N or would i be required to do a shit ton of Fabrication and customization that'll cost more than what the car itself is worth.

Help, directions, or even a 2.0 swap guide would be great.
Keeping the 1.6L is best option overall and can make good power. How much power will determine $ needed to do so. Or budget will limit what you can do.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Could a 2.0 swap be done? Maybe, but then you’d have to do a lot of research and analysis to even guess how feasible it is, without any help from this community because nobody has done it. The 2.0 ECM from the VN is incompatible with the other computer-controlled systems in the VT1 and cannot currently be tuned without knowing someone who can probe it under the covers.

You’re much better off buying a spare 1.6 engine and rebuilding it carefully. Get someone to build a custom exhaust manifold and select an aftermarket turbo that fits both your intended usage and power goals. Swap that in and you can tune it yourself using HPTuners with 0 incompatibility issues regarding supporting systems. There are enough performance internals available to support a 500+ WHP build and a few people have done so.

Try to do it the hard way (2.0 swap) and you’ll likely hit many roadblocks along the way, spending probably double of what a 1.6 rebuild would cost, plus you will have to have a lot more funds readily available up front to get custom fabrication done and professional consulting assistance for converting the electronics to be compatible.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
In addition, even a 1.6 rebuild plus a quality aftermarket turbo setup with all the ancillary necessities will cost more than the car is worth right now. Just traded my 2014 VT with 48K miles in on a VN and the dealer would not budge over 7K.

Sorry to say this, but if you want a 400+ WHP car for cheap, you’d be better off finding one that is already built and being sold at a huge discount.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
In addition, even a 1.6 rebuild plus a quality aftermarket turbo setup with all the ancillary necessities will cost more than the car is worth right now. Just traded my 2014 VT with 48K miles in on a VN and the dealer would not budge over 7K.

Sorry to say this, but if you want a 400+ WHP car for cheap, you’d be better off finding one that is already built and being sold at a huge discount.
Amazing how the depreciation on cars are... Hyundai's are among some of the worst for trade in value.

·
Registered
151 Posts
IMO Hyundai's are meant to be bought and kept till they die. LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Amazing how the depreciation on cars are... Hyundai's are among some of the worst for trade in value.
Good for people looking for used cars.
My wife's '15 Sonata with 14,000 miles cost $14k and she bought it in early 2017. They were gonna sell it for $16k but got it down to 14k.

Can't even imagine how much trade in money they paid the 1st owner. It's really for people who's gonna drive them until the wheels fall off, because whatever they gonna offer 5yrs from now and 60k miles later as a trading value will definitely be nearly nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I am also very interested in Hyundai based swaps (especially those similar to Veloster N). Surely someone must be irrational enough to try this!?
I bought my ‘16 VT and had it shipped to the island where I reside, but due to Covid lockdown was unable to even register it. I will use it as is but in the back of my mind I’d like it to be powered by a 2.0t even if it is a marginal power improvement (and huge cost).

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Why not mod the 1.6T with good bolt ons and tuning? The 16 VT is a good base to start from and can gain ~100 whp on the stock turbo. Drop in the bucket vs a swap. A built engine can make stupid power and still be less $ and hastle as a swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could a 2.0 swap be done? Maybe, but then you’d have to do a lot of research and analysis to even guess how feasible it is, without any help from this community because nobody has done it. The 2.0 ECM from the VN is incompatible with the other computer-controlled systems in the VT1 and cannot currently be tuned without knowing someone who can probe it under the covers.

You’re much better off buying a spare 1.6 engine and rebuilding it carefully. Get someone to build a custom exhaust manifold and select an aftermarket turbo that fits both your intended usage and power goals. Swap that in and you can tune it yourself using HPTuners with 0 incompatibility issues regarding supporting systems. There are enough performance internals available to support a 500+ WHP build and a few people have done so.

Try to do it the hard way (2.0 swap) and you’ll likely hit many roadblocks along the way, spending probably double of what a 1.6 rebuild would cost, plus you will have to have a lot more funds readily available up front to get custom fabrication done and professional consulting assistance for converting the electronics to be compatible.

Let us know what you decide.
I ended up going FBO on meth but I daily it so I also have a N54 I’m throwing back together soon. Once I have that up I’m finishing the drivetrain/suspension and the motors next. I mean why not at this point. I’d say I’m $7,000 in give or take.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
N54? Is that a bmw motor? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've gotta assume labor is a big chunk of this...
Nah. I own a 2013 which is notorious for engines blowing so since I can’t modify the car and completely negate the risk of it exploding I wanted to make sure i replaced anything and everything that even looked slightly worn. While I was in the process I decided to do the front end as well. Mono ball control arms, legitimate performance tires, and the works. Hell The spark plugs were $30 a piece themself. Surprisingly enough it beats a lot of higher WHP cars from a dig but loses its umph.

only labor $$ spent was on the downpipe and methanol install. I’m not breaking a stud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts