Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a car and have found a 2012 Hyundai Veloster turbo manual for a decent price but the owner is saying both the turbo and head gasket needs replacing. The car has 126,000 kms and is still drivable but I am not sure if it is a very good idea to buy. I like the car and other than that it looks to be in good condition. I can send the link to the advertisement to anyone wanting to help and appreciate any input. If anyone needs any more information, just ask and I will provide as best I can. I am going to see the car in person tomorrow so anything to look out for would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ill edit this post with any new information i get after going to look at it in person.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,652 Posts
I would not consider a VT unless a 15 or newer in the US or 14 or newer out of the states or if you plan to build the engine any year is ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not consider a VT unless a 15 or newer in the US or 14 or newer out of the states or if you plan to build the engine any year is ok.
Oh thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I am in Australia so not sure if that changes anything, I'll still have a look at it tomorrow cos I'm going past anyways. Would you have any guess how much it would cost to get it to a point where it runs reliably and anything to look out for when I go tomorrow. Again thanks for such a quick reply.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With that year and mileage, you're probably looking at an engine replacement in the very near future. Most folks will never see 150k miles on the earlier VT without replacing engine internals. I would go even higher than trdtoy and start at 2016 and up. On top of the improved reliability, you also get improved electronics and other niceties. If you're dead set on the car you're looking at btw, it would be worthwhile to have it inspected at a mechanic before purchasing. Many shops offer pre-purchase inspections that could save you a ton of money down the line.

I don't know about the non-US markets, but here in the states the first year with a turbo was 2013. Are you sure that the 2012 you're looking at is actually a turbo? Would love to look at the ad btw.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having looked at the ad, it definitely LOOKS like a turbo. It's got all the right body pieces, but without looking under the hood, I can't be sure. Either the seller got the year wrong, or the non-US market got VT's in 2012. Maybe I'm just confused. /shrug

That said, that price is in AUD, right? ~$6200usd isn't a TERRIBLE price to pay if all it needs is a new turbo and head gasket. You can get upgraded turbos for less than $2k, and even with labor you'd end up with a fully functioning VT with comparatively low miles for <$10k, which is pretty hard to beat. If you end up having to swap the engine in the future, you can get a '16+ with low miles for ~$3k shipped (here in the States, at least; you'll have to check what motors are going for in your area), after which you'll still probably be looking at <$15k for a sturdy VT with ~50k miles. Even less if you can do any of that labor yourself. Not too bad, but lots of work and downtime.

That said, you will almost certainly have issues with this year of VT. Those failures didn't happen on their own, something caused it. Unfortunately, poor user maintenance has an unusually high effect on these vehicles. I would definitely pay to have it inspected at an independent mechanic before purchasing. Preferably one you're comfortable with, because it's not unlikely you'll be seeing them a lot if you decide to go through with the purchase. Oil grade and change interval is probably the biggest cause of issues with these cars, and there's not much you can inspect there without really opening it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having looked at the ad, it definitely LOOKS like a turbo. It's got all the right body pieces, but without looking under the hood, I can't be sure. Either the seller got the year wrong, or the non-US market got VT's in 2012. Maybe I'm just confused. /shrug

That said, that price is in AUD, right? ~$6200usd isn't a TERRIBLE price to pay if all it needs is a new turbo and head gasket. You can get upgraded turbos for less than $2k, and even with labor you'd end up with a fully functioning VT with comparatively low miles for <$10k, which is pretty hard to beat. If you end up having to swap the engine in the future, you can get a '16+ with low miles for ~$3k shipped (here in the States, at least; you'll have to check what motors are going for in your area), after which you'll still probably be looking at <$15k for a sturdy VT with ~50k miles. Even less if you can do any of that labor yourself. Not too bad, but lots of work and downtime.

That said, you will almost certainly have issues with this year of VT. Those failures didn't happen on their own, something caused it. Unfortunately, poor user maintenance has an unusually high effect on these vehicles. I would definitely pay to have it inspected at an independent mechanic before purchasing. Preferably one you're comfortable with, because it's not unlikely you'll be seeing them a lot if you decide to go through with the purchase. Oil grade and change interval is probably the biggest cause of issues with these cars, and there's not much you can inspect there without really opening it up.
Oh nice thanks, ill have a look at it without a mechanic tomorrow and give it a little check myself cos i got a scanner and stuff but ill be sure to have it properly looked at by a mechanic if i still want to buy it after tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts