Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day! I just want to know what common issues I might encounter if I purchase a used but not abused Veloster. Do Veloster PH units (mostly from Korea) have the same connecting rod failure with the NA units? I’m eyeing a 2013 Hyundai Veloster T-GDI 1.6. VIN: KMHTE61EBDU081745
Hope you can help me! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
204 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

The most common issues on the veloster are:
Fuel line issues
Vacuum Pump issues
Crank position sensor issues

To my knowledge, the internals between regions are the same for the 2013 model year.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,256 Posts
I wouldn't purchase a 13 if it has the oem engine especially if you plan to mod it for more than say 230 whp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

The most common issues on the veloster are:
Fuel line issues
Vacuum Pump issues
Crank position sensor issues

To my knowledge, the internals between regions are the same for the 2013 model year.
Thank you so much for your reply! The VT is in good condition and low mileage. I'm considering buying just because I want to experience a sports car without it having to be a sports car. If you get what I mean. I also haven't seen someone encountering the connecting rod issue for VTs here in the philippines. I've been lurking the groups. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't purchase a 13 if it has the oem engine especially if you plan to mod it for more than say 230 whp
I actually don't plan on modding it. I just want the look of the VT. I'd maintain everything to stock. Well, except the connecting rods and whatnots. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply! The VT is in good condition and low mileage. I'm considering buying just because I want to experience a sports car without it having to be a sports car. If you get what I mean. I also haven't seen someone encountering the connecting rod issue for VTs here in the philippines. I've been lurking the groups. Thanks again!
The veloster is a fun car, and there's plenty you can do to make it even more so without modifying. Getting it aligned with an extra degree of negative camber is going to make the car handle much better without a ton of tire wear. Filling it up with high octane gasoline helps as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The veloster is a fun car, and there's plenty you can do to make it even more so without modifying. Getting it aligned with an extra degree of negative camber is going to make the car handle much better without a ton of tire wear. Filling it up with high octane gasoline helps as well.
Thanks for the tip! I was just reading tons of forums and posts about the VT. I'm curious about the engine issue. If ever I buy the car, I'm planning to have the engine internals replaced. Plus, I've owned 3 different Hyundais and I haven't gotten any issues during ownership. I really like the Veloster but I wanted to know what to expect when buying a used one. Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it man

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bring a flashlight and really give it a once-over. I managed to miss some pretty significant radiator and bumper damage on my car when I bought it. "Accident Free" apparently doesn't mean much

·
Administrator
6,256 Posts
You will want to maintain better than oem maintenance. If you need to know what needs to be done let me know I can lay out what is needed to be reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bring a flashlight and really give it a once-over. I managed to miss some pretty significant radiator and bumper damage on my car when I bought it. "Accident Free" apparently doesn't mean much
I'm actually going to be hiring a Hyundai dealership mechanic to check the unit. He's the one who's been maintaining all my previous cars.

You will want to maintain better than oem maintenance. If you need to know what needs to be done let me know I can lay out what is needed to be reliable.
I'm actually clueless about what needs to be done other than the connecting rods and pistons. The VT i'm getting isn't a DCT, it's a regular 6-speed automatic so less problems in that area. Thanks for the reply!

·
Administrator
6,256 Posts
That depends on year model, mileage, condition, and service history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man we’re in the same boat but it’s nearly impossible to find a Veloster Turbo with low miles here where I live. Today I checked one, 136k miles asking around 15,500 USD it was a 2016 model with the panoramic roof. And the lowest I could find was 134k miles for a 2016 one.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
F that! way too much money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Indeed it has but all the used cars dealers import here are expensive(taxes for imported cars are insane too) and have too many miles. Cheapest one I found was 134k miles, panoramic and the paint was destroyed. For 15K USD. 2016 too. I’m stressed at this point I don’t even know what to do. I remember seeing them around 10k to 13k before and on the pandemic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts