Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Veloster friends. Figured I would quickly introduce myself to the group. Within 2 weeks, I will be the owner of a Black on Black w/ Grey accents 2013 Turbo A/T Ultimate. As soon as it arrives at the dealership I will be taking delivery. While I was looking at alternatives to a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, fuel economy was at the top of the list. As a daily commuter I just can't justify paying the gas station upwards of $700/month in gas.

After considering the SUV options, I decided that while the SUV may be AWD or in some cases 4x4, it just wouldn't be a Jeep. So I started looking at the other end of the spectrum. Low and behold the Veloster popped up on the radar. The first draw was the sport coupe style, and secondly I was impressed with the listed MPG. 28city/38highway is quite a bit better then the 17MPG I am getting in the Jeep. My daily commute is 100 miles per day total, so the savings could be quite large on fuel costs.

Went to my local dealer, and took a test drive of the 2012 non-turbo. Being 6'1" tall, I still felt comfortable in the drivers seat. I was lucky enough to be on the lot at the time they had a turbo model, but it had already been spoken for in a dealer trade. The salesman let me give it a spin in the lot. Of coarse not being able to give it a full workout, but I was able to tell the difference in power right of the bat.

Considering all my options, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase a 2013 Turbo A/T. While the M/T would have been nice in the fun department, being 90% of my driving is highway with plenty of traffic jams, I opted for the A/T for convenience. Upgrading to the Ultimate package for me seemed like the right thing to do. Having some of the added creature comforts during my long daily commute seems warranted.

So as I say goodbye to the 4x4 community and Jeep waves, I say hello to the Veloster community!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I would have been pissed if I found out my VT was test driven after being spoken for... lot or not. lol

Luckily mine was in the showroom so it's unlikely to have been test driven by anyone other than prep people.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Test drive may have been an overstatement. I drove it probably 100 yards around the back of the parking lot with the salesman in the car. I goosed it up to 20 MPH..haha! On the flip side, I did get the full experience of the Veloster 2012 non-turbo on the road. But, I do understand your point of having your brand new vehicle driven by someone else. I am gathering from what I have read that Hyundai may have underestimated the popularity of the Veloster and getting a M/T is like a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I jumped on mine so quickly, not ever the sales manager could sit in it, jejejejejeje!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well ksuflash, when you get your Black on Black w/ Grey accents 2013 Turbo A/T Ultimate I expect you'll be as happy as I am with its exact twin here in VA! Short story...I bought a NAV Black/Black with Style and Tech packs back in June of this year. It was great...sure it performed more like an Accent than a Hot Hatch but the mileage was awesome. Although I wondered if I bought too soon and should have waited for the Turbo, I had myself (almost) convinced that the hp was fine and mileage was more important than performance. Then one day in August I realized that at 62 I really did want to enjoy the thrill of driving before I got too old...and began scanning Chucks List for a Black/Black V with A/T and Ultimate. For days...nothing -then one evening there it was and bound for my dealer here in Manassas, VA. I emailed my SalesRep who had since become the Sales Manager and we set up the scenario. The V finally arrived on Friday 8/31 and it was mine by Saturday afternoon. Because of appreciation (rather than depreciation) I did well on the trade although some additional cash closed the deal. With the additional bells, whistles and instant on-demand performance I'm as happy as can be -especially since my 33.1 avg mpg is only about 3mpg's less than the NAV under the same (grueling) stop-and-go commute. Nicest thing is there is NO Turbo lag -torque and acceleration are strong from the start and when passing the rush will push you back in the seat -so be careful! I had a few unintentional tire squeals from start not realizing how much instant power is available from a dead start. Another very nice thing about the automatic is that it is smoother than the Dual Clutch in my NAV and responds quickly to downshifts. But you will also find that driving with the auto in Sport Mode gives you a more "spirited" driving style and almost replaces the fun that a MT can be. Of course in Sport Mode you can also shift manually if you wish -AND you also have the paddleshifters. Sure, the MT has it's afficianados but you don't need to be bored driving the Turbo Automatic AT ALL. I also have to say that since 9/1 I've only seen ONE other Turbo on the road so I've gotten a Lot of long looks and thumbs-up driving this unique car...get used to being somewhat of a "celebrity" :) Although there are a TON of folks here that have done or are planning Mods of all sorts, I just can't do it. This is my 20th car since my first car in 1968. I have to say that I've modified many of those and always, always regretted doing so. This one is staying stock all the way because for me it performs and looks exactly they way I want it to. So congrats on yours, hope the days til delivery go quickly and you enjoy the ride as much as I do!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds great Bobster! Looking forward to doing some photography on the new ride! The quicker it gets here the less I will be at the pump!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Scratch that. The dealership that was trading with my dealership sold my VT out from under me. :furious: I had a deposit down and a VIN number. EFF Chicago.

Back to square one for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took delivery at 10:15am today. This car puts the "F" back in Fun! Drewfusss, my salesman was telling me about some sort of VT issue with another guy. Not sure it was you or your scenario though. I wasn't paying much attention to my sales guy at that point, as I was focused on staring at the new ride. Hope you can get your VT stuff sorted out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats man! I am green with envy. Today is such a nice day to get a new car too....

From what I hear I am not the only person being screwed. Its irrelevant though, I put another deposit down on a different car at the dealership it is actually being shipped to. I have high hopes, maybe by this time next week I'll be in the cool kids club.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts