Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im currently chasing a noise in the suspension and decided its time to change the oil while im at it. Quite a surprise when i found a good amount of oil on the underside of the car and on the oil filter. Looks like its coming from above the oil filter. Heres the thing though....i have not noticed any spotting where i park the car so im wondering it maybe its only coming out when the car is under load while under boost? I notice i have to top the oil off from time to time between changes but nothing too crazy as most turbo cars ive been around seem to burn a little oil. Car is scheduled to go tot he dealer as im hoping whatever it is is covered under the power train warranty. Any ideas? Am i barking up an empty tree thinking an oil leak would be covered under the power train warranty? I have little faith in the 10y/100,000 mile warranty after the coolant pipe failed and was not covered.... 20170510_192707.jpg 20170510_192700.jpg 20170510_192653.jpg 20170510_192602.jpg 20170510_192556.jpg

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have spots where I park but it doesn't look like it does in your pics, on the underbody. If it is in fact coming from above the filter it could be a gasket on its way out. It's always worth seeing if they will cover something. I've leaked drops of oil for months and the dealer has never said anything when I bring it in with my own oil for them to change.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I just realized something, lol. At 50K miles I've not once checked the oil from the dipstick. Is that even what's it called? I mean why would one even check it? Especially in 21st century, I remember my father doing it growing up but I never caught on to it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 2008 Mini Clubman used about 3-4 .oz of oil per GAS TANK. It would be destroyed in a matter of months without checking the oil.

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
Am i barking up an empty tree thinking an oil leak would be covered under the power train warranty? I have little faith in the 10y/100,000 mile warranty after the coolant pipe failed and was not covered....
could you elaborate a little more on that coolant pipe please?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i cleaned it up around where the filter meats the mount and then wrapped some electric tape around the seam to see if oil gets trapped behind it and after 50 miles not a drop. So unless its only coming out under certain conditions i doubt its coming from the filter. Also i wipe down the mating surface for the seal and then apply oil to the new filter seal so a stuck on old seal is not it either. Im a bit OCD with doing oil changes lol. The filter is also the OEM part # i order from hyundai 4 at a time.

As for the guy not checking you oil after 50k miles...lol thats nuts.

As for the coolant pipe, the part #25620-2B700 which comes back as the housing for the thermostat? They called it something else when i spoke with them. Basically the car started to overheat one day last year and i noticed coolant was low. No visible leaks under the car or smells. Turns out it was dripping slowly onto the trans bell housing and pooling then evaporating. Turned into a big issue because the part was on nationwide backorder with no ETA on arrival. Dealer put in a request to Hyundai corporate to try and get the part faster. Wound up costing me a little over $400 since at the time i was about to go on a trip and did not have time to do it myself. I will say though even though it was not under warranty that Hyundai did put me in a rental at no cost to me since the part was not stocked anywhere in the US.

As it sits the car is going in to the dealer next week since turns out there is a recall they are going to perform so while its there they are going to look into the oil leak and fingers crossed if its something major its covered under the power train warranty. Hopefully they can get a better look at the front suspension for me and help me narrow down this freaking noise I am getting during body roll.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just an update. Dealer called and stated the leak is coming from the seal between the oil cooler and block. Lucky me its NOT a covered failure under the power train warranty...figures. Tech also said that i would have to order a whole new cooler. I cant see how there is not just a seal i can buy to replace. Looks like im shopping around online.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe when the seal blew is fried the cooler... that sucks
After spending some time looking up the part it doesn't look like the seal is an item that is sold separate for some dumb reason. Think i found one on Ebay used for $30...might be worth a shot. If not I can order it via Hyundai online for $97. Dealer wants $400+/- to replace it.

I do not see though how the oil cooler could be bad unless it has a hole in it somewhere so im also debating just using some RTV or similar sealant that is oil resistant.......:serious:

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's a 4 yr old car how is an oil leak not covered? F Hyundai. I'd try another dealer in your area before buying anything. I'd probably be making a call to Hyundai and opening a case too, though this may be tough if it's your only means of transportation.

I had a leaking oil pan in my Integra GSR back in 2003 ish Acura/Honda replaced and resealed the pan without blinking an eye. Complete BS they will not cover it IMO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a 4 yr old car how is an oil leak not covered? F Hyundai. I'd try another dealer in your area before buying anything. I'd probably be making a call to Hyundai and opening a case too, though this may be tough if it's your only means of transportation.

I had a leaking oil pan in my Integra GSR back in 2003 ish Acura/Honda replaced and resealed the pan without blinking an eye. Complete BS they will not cover it IMO.
Seems they do not consider it part of the power train. of course if i did not notice it leaking and it failed causing the engine to seize that would be covered. Its BS. I guess I am lucky its not something i cant do in the driveway but still when i bought this car i never pictured it being such a problem. Between the coolant pipe failing now this and the head unit acting up im truly debating taking a bath on it and trading it in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Below is a copy and paste from the hyundai CPO limited powertrain warranty ..... how is the failed SEAL between the engine block and oil cooler not covered? ugh.

Covered Components
The following components originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai Motor Company, Hyundai Motor Group, Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama,
Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia or Hyundai Motor America that are found to be defective in material or workmanship under normal use and maintenance,
are covered under the terms of the Limited Warranty:

Engine:

Cylinder block/head and all internal parts, manifolds, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, gaskets and seals, oil pump, water pump, flywheel, oil
pan assembly, rocker cover and engine mounts, and turbocharger.

Transmission / Transaxle and Drivetrain:

Case and all internal parts; axle shafts (front/rear); constant velocity joints; front/rear hub bearings; propeller shafts; seals and gaskets; torque
converter and converter housing; transfer case for AWD models; and rear differential for Santa Fe, Tucson, Veracruz AWD, Genesis and Equus
models.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would absolutely open a case with corporate, show them this, hell show the dealer first even or just bring the car to another dealership.

May I ask how old you are? Just trying to honestly figure out how in the hell they would tell you that it is not a covered component, I just can't see them not covering this. Ha I would have had a case number for them w/corporate before I even left the dealership. Wouldn't have gotten mad or yelled just would have gone right over their heads.

Please don't lay out the money for this without a fight. Sometimes it's the principles ya know, I know some people will say screw it, especially if you need the car and it is your only one. They need to know they can't just turn down honest warranty work because they feel like it or because you may be young with a lil "tooner" car. Complete BS.

I would first go in there again calmly and show them the information outlined in your warranty coverage you posted, if they still refuse open a case with corporate before leaving the dealer and provide the service writer the case number. The more info you have for corporate the better get names, part numbers, dates and times you went there, etc... If they still refuse, let corporate do what they do. They'll almost always call out a regional rep to look at the car and concern you have. Usually in the end they'll cover it even if they say it is a one time good faith repair

Or hell like I mentioned is there another dealership in your area, if so, go in and say you're in to get warranty work performed on your vehicle. Don't ask if it is covered, tell them there is a oil leak from gasket xyz I need to have this replaced under my factory warranty. You'd be surprised that another dealer may not even question it

Best of luck, and like I said I don't know your situation but if you can afford to have the car down for a little while PLEASE DO NOT lay out the money to fix this just yet. Lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would absolutely open a case with corporate, show them this, hell show the dealer first even or just bring the car to another dealership.

May I ask how old you are? Just trying to honestly figure out how in the hell they would tell you that it is not a covered component, I just can't see them not covering this. Ha I would have had a case number for them w/corporate before I even left the dealership. Wouldn't have gotten mad or yelled just would have gone right over their heads.

Please don't lay out the money for this without a fight. Sometimes it's the principles ya know, I know some people will say screw it, especially if you need the car and it is your only one. They need to know they can't just turn down honest warranty work because they feel like it or because you may be young with a lil "tooner" car. Complete BS.

I would first go in there again calmly and show them the information outlined in your warranty coverage you posted, if they still refuse open a case with corporate before leaving the dealer and provide the service writer the case number. The more info you have for corporate the better get names, part numbers, dates and times you went there, etc... If they still refuse, let corporate do what they do. They'll almost always call out a regional rep to look at the car and concern you have. Usually in the end they'll cover it even if they say it is a one time good faith repair

Or hell like I mentioned is there another dealership in your area, if so, go in and say you're in to get warranty work performed on your vehicle. Don't ask if it is covered, tell them there is a oil leak from gasket xyz I need to have this replaced under my factory warranty. You'd be surprised that another dealer may not even question it

Best of luck, and like I said I don't know your situation but if you can afford to have the car down for a little while PLEASE DO NOT lay out the money to fix this just yet. Lol
Im 27 but i feel that fact that the car is in my fathers name probably gives them the impression that I am just some spoiled kid who has no knowledge about cars. Tech i spoke to yesterday before they closed said that this repair would have been covered under the 5yr/50k warranty so now im confused. The car since it was CPO has the remainder of the 10yr/100k power train and i was told it was 6yr/60k bumper to bumper...?? For now im going to pick the car up and ask for a print out of what the problem is and why its not covered. I need to dig out all the paper work from buying the car and go over it before i open a claim. Im going to clean up the car real well and change the oil and keep an eye on it in the meantime also. I have a truck i can drive but getting 8mpg is kind of a burden when you drive 200+ a week lol. I may take it to another dealer as well and i think im going to call one today and give them the part# and explain where the leak is and see what they say.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Figured I would update on this problem. I gave up with Hyundai and their warranty, pulled the oil cooler myself and cleaned it all up. Oil cooler was fine with no damage. I wound up using a small bead of liquid gasket along with the original rubber O-seal (ghetto i know but why not)......couple thousand miles and no leaks. Ill never understand why the little rubber seal that is on the cooler cannot be purchased separately. I found a few oil filter gaskets that almost matched but decided it was not worth the hassle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts