Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Manual VT, sxth sri, turboxs bov, resonator delete, upgraded motor mounts, sfr tune, add occ
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has around 103k miles. Basically just starting today my 5th gear did not want to act as it should. I noticed that the car will accept the gear change into 5th but once I release the clutch it revs as if it were in "neutral" even without applying any acceleration. I feel as though there is something not catching mechanically. I can't really think of anything that I did wrong. I drive my car as hard as the first year that I had it. I would love to say it's just wear and tear but I feel like something more sinister at play. I read some other articles about various somewhat similar issues and maybe a bad slave cylinder or master cylinder, but I am just not sure.

Anyone else have/had an issue like this?

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
So it revs to redline with clutch release in 5th even without touching the gas pedal? What about the other gears? Mods and tune on the car will be helpful as well as any other possible pertinent information.

·
Registered
2014 Manual VT, sxth sri, turboxs bov, resonator delete, upgraded motor mounts, sfr tune, add occ
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it revs to redline with clutch release in 5th even without touching the gas pedal? What about the other gears? Mods and tune on the car will be helpful as well as any other possible pertinent information.
The other gears are perfectly fine. So the only new mods I have are my sfr tune, occ, spark plugs to go with the new tune (which I'm not happy with right now 🙄) and that's about it.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
So the other 5 gears do not do this?

If you want a better tune let me know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the other 5 gears do not do this?

If you want a better tune let me know.
The other 5 gears are perfectly fine. I did forget to mention that I had my fuel line upgraded before the tune many months before.

My friend thinks that there might be a linkage issue or at the worst a trans issue. I might have to just put my stock ECU back in and take it to a shop. I hope it will be an easy fix. I made a video on the drive to work but it was kinda raining and you can't hear the car very well. I will still share the link.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am linking some videos I made this morning:

Not sure why some of the videos turned into "shorts".
Also we test drove around the neighborhood and 5th acts as if its in neutral. We tried to take off from every gear from a stop and each gear stalled out except 5th; 5th remained acting as if it was in neutral, no stall. So sad. :(
Hoping this might be a cheap/easy fix.

Also there were no codes that came up on the obdII scanner.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
756 Posts
Get a friend to help you look under the hood while someone inside the car goes through the gears like they would on the street.

Locate the gear shift cables where they mount onto the top of the transmission and note each gear when shifting.

See what 5th gear is doing as like all the other gears it should respond with the shift and move the linkage appropriately on the transmission.

If all that seems normal you can remove the center console to access the transmission shifter console.
Again you can go through the gears and make sure everything mechanically on the cables are working as they should.

This would be what I would be doing before doing anything with the ECU.
Good luck. 🤞👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

This is the work that was done on my car. It was expensive but at least I have my car back.
My next question is, is it safe to put my SFR tune back in? Lol. I sure hope the tune didn't mess up my 5th gear. The guy at the shop said the rest of my transmission was perfectly fine and the clutch as well. can a tune mess up 1 gear?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,171 Posts
i would think unrelated.

Reactions: PearlWhiteVT

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
756 Posts
All they did was overhaul the entire transmission. 🤷
All parts are basic parts replaced when opening up the tranny for overhaul.

Tunes do not affect manual gear box transmissions.
A bad slave cylinder which they replaced could have caused your issues. 😉🤫

Glad you got it going, install your tune, and enjoy the ride. 🤙

1 - 12 of 12 Posts