Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It appears that after being handed a decent sized fine, Hyundai is recalling more cars, and the 2015 and 2016 Veloster is on the list.

“The recall covers certain 2012 Santa Fe SUVs, 2015 and 2016 Veloster cars, and Sonata Hybrid cars from 2011 through 2013 and 2016. The vehicles have 2.4-litre, 2-litre or 1.6-litre engines.”

“The recall will address a manufacturing issue that could cause the connecting rod bearings to wear out and the engines to fail, Hyundai said. A damaged connecting rod could puncture the engine block, causing the engine to stall. It also could let oil leak onto hot surfaces, increasing the risk of a fire.”

Owners will be notified ~Jan.22

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a 2016 made in 2015 because of supposedly stronger internals someone correct me if I'm wrong but basically Hyundai is saying these years have the same issues as earlier years. Haven't the other years of these models already been recalled and what are the actual supposed improvements in 2015 besides a retune?
What exactly is the manufacturing defect that can cause premature wear or is that just catch-all bs phrasing?

I'm really hoping this is over paranoia on Hyundai's behalf since they got slapped with this giant lawsuit over recall neglect and it's better to be safe than sorry. Prices are already going up on all models just to cover their losses.
The solution is new knock sensor software?? And if bearings are worn install a new engine with the same problematic internals? Wow. How thoroughly do you think will they check clearances on this many cars and how many new motors are they dropping in on all these recent recalls? Only when absolutely necessary, and with presumably the same motor

What are the differences on the 2019/20 1.6 and 2.0 internals that makes them exempt or will that be the next recall?
It's real slick how manufacturers quietly improve a major design flaw without telling anyone since to do so would be admitting there was a problem in the first place. It's usually only on the forums you find out through tuners and builders what the real deal is. Typical corporate cover your ass bs.

So who thinks this is just a PR issue? And is the software update even a good idea or will it most likely be over sensitive?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What would I need to keep my eye on to make sure this isn’t happening to me?

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,439 Posts
Hyundai should contact people by January but if you want to be proactive give the dealer your VIN to see if the car is part of the recall

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2011 Sonata was on this recall. Basically, after they do the recall software update, they warrant your engine for life against this problem. If you don't do the recall, you're on your own if the engine fails.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2011 Sonata was on this recall. Basically, after they do the recall software update, they warrant your engine for life against this problem. If you don't do the recall, you're on your own if the engine fails.
That’s not a bad gig. I do my own oil changes though so I’ve heard from Hyundai they wouldn’t warranty my Veloster anyways...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
That’s not a bad gig. I do my own oil changes though so I’ve heard from Hyundai they wouldn’t warranty my Veloster anyways...
Not entire true. They can only not cover if you did not do the maintenance properly or have proof of the maintenance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not entire true. They can only not cover if you did not do the maintenance properly or have proof of the maintenance.
I know this is a subject for a different thread, and I'm just stating what I was told by a Hyundai representative at their corporate level, not a dealership. Before I bought my car, I wanted to see if me doing my own oil changes would impact the warranty. The dealership couldn't answer it, so I called a number they gave me. The guy I got a hold of told me it absolutely voids it. I said, even if I have proof, and he said it still voids it because there's no way of knowing it was done properly. I said "what if I video taped the entire thing on a GoPro and showed that I torqued things to spec and it was filled to the proper level?", he replied with "I've never been presented with that extreme example, so I can't answer it confidently, but I imagine it would still be hard to prove the video was enough proof." At that point I was done arguing and ended the conversation knowing I just wouldn't have a warranty.
I've talked to a different dealership and they said they don't care, as long as I had some sort of proof, but it depends on the dealership and management at the time.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
It just has to be documented which is enough proof for them to show you and you to them regarding any maintenance or warranty concerns. More detailed documentation the better. This is how it works regardless who you talk to that may or may not know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just has to be documented which is enough proof for them to show you and you to them regarding any maintenance or warranty concerns. More detailed documentation the better. This is how it works regardless who you talk to that may or may not know what they're talking about.
that's what i thought and figured would be the case if anything were to come up, it was just a ridiculous conversation with Hyundai corporate that made me skeptical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IDK about the Veloster issue but the Sonata thing was a lawsuit. The settlement is if you get the software update and your engine fails from this issue, they'll replace the engine. I didn't see anything about oil changes, etc. in the lawsuit. Of course, proper maintenance would still apply to warranty work.
As for doing your own oil changes voiding the warranty, that's totally bogus. Just reference the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. You know, you can go to a shop for oil changes and they can really screw it up. Anyone ever go to Jiffy Lube?

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
80 Posts
I do my own oil changes since 40k miles and had a top engine rebuild at 61k. All I had to show as proof was my Amazon/Advance Auto Parts receipts for the filters and oil purchases. The pictures didn't matter even though I took one each time I changed the oil. Worst case, at mediation, they would have to prove you didn't change your oil and your negligence of not changing the oil caused the engine failure.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The list of things Hyundai has changed in the gen 1 (13-17) VT for safety and reliability is unreal. So many oem part and tune revisions.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2015 engine threw a rod at around 105k replaced with a 2016 and almost exactly one year later same thing happened the same way I was at a stop light it turns green I put it in first go and as soon as I push clutch they died wasn't getting on it either time !! They both had rod failure 2015 was #1 rod 2016 was #4 rod now I'm looking for a short block and I may just build my own . Can't do worse that Hyundai did right lol

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
My 2015 engine threw a rod at around 105k replaced with a 2016 and almost exactly one year later same thing happened the same way I was at a stop light it turns green I put it in first go and as soon as I push clutch they died wasn't getting on it either time !! They both had rod failure 2015 was #1 rod 2016 was #4 rod now I'm looking for a short block and I may just build my own . Can't do worse that Hyundai did right lol
Keep in mind that not only engine recalls but you have no clue what maintenance was on the used engine and if your maintenance is up to par either. One major issue is that maintenance is poor in general for the avg VT even those maintained by the hyundai book.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Second engine had 26000 mi and I think I know why
I thought it was lspi at first but upon further analysis Im starting to think it could possibly be another case of MdaF!! See I'm too dumb to know how dumb I really am thus causing the second failure ! So I'm giving away ten Vpoints the only catch is : Can you tell me why I blew my 15 then my 2016 replacement engine one year and one week later . I'll give you more hints then 15 threw a rod and it felt like the accessory belt slipped of no loud noise,no debris in road no nothing really it just stopped the 16 engine I knew exactly what had happened something that was inside my motor was no longer inside my motor lots of noise and drama . So can you catch my elusive problem that keeps blowin by my mechanical" expertise". And fyi I have worked, or " piddled" some would say ,enough that I can work on it in the dark and that's not a exhaderationn also I believe in preventive maintenance and was maticulas with oil changes . 10 Vpoints to the clever one who can catch my shitgreimlin plaguing my veloster

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Second engine had 26000 mi and I think I know why
I thought it was lspi at first but upon further analysis Im starting to think it could possibly be another case of MdaF!! See I'm too dumb to know how dumb I really am thus causing the second failure ! So I'm giving away ten Vpoints the only catch is : Can you tell me why I blew my 15 then my 2016 replacement engine one year and one week later . I'll give you more hints then 15 threw a rod and it felt like the accessory belt slipped of no loud noise,no debris in road no nothing really it just stopped the 16 engine I knew exactly what had happened something that was inside my motor was no longer inside my motor lots of noise and drama . So can you catch my elusive problem that keeps blowin by my mechanical" expertise". And fyi I have worked, or " piddled" some would say ,enough that I can work on it in the dark and that's not a exhaderationn also I believe in preventive maintenance and was maticulas with oil changes . 10 Vpoints to the clever one who can catch my shitgreimlin plaguing my veloster
What do you consider preventative maintenance and meticulous oil changes? Do you know the maintenance performed on the used engine before you got it? Do you know if either engine or car the engine were in would fall under a recall or TSB of any kind?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll cut to the chase hydro lock from my catch can being full of water and oil although I drained it the same day every month both times it was full full so when I was went from stop light pcv valve closed the second I went to shift and released gass throttle plate closed pcv valve opened and drink drink from full catch can . I had been noticing my vaccume numbers were odd like higher than normal easily hitting-22inhg when plate closed then it would drop to 17 even 15 them platau back at 18

1 - 20 of 48 Posts