Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hydro lock explains the very uneventful and very very nondramatic first failure It was the saddest quietest most pathetic mechanical failure /death possible ive had belts slip that were eventful for some odd reason during the winter my catch can file up with water very fast !!! I drained the can the first time and remember making a huge mess untill the top off of the can this time and it was soooooooo full so I'm positive it was My Own Dumb A** Fault . So now I'm going to build a bottom end myself cause I think I can . .see told ya I'm to dumb to know lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've removed my catch can, the pressure got high enough to blow my rear main seal.

I'll just get it inspected and cleaned every so often.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,447 Posts
Sounds like preventative maintenance by using a can and/or not emptying it is not up to par. These are reasons why I suggest to people not use cans and go to a dual VTA as more effective, maintenance free, cheaper, and will not cause issues like this. If you have to use cans then vented cans only on both sides but you must still empty often and change filter often if they have one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I emptied mine monthly but during cold months for whatever reason it obviously filled up faster than I could empty and I'm not familiar with dual vta I'll have to look into it before I can comment .unless you speaking about dual vent to atmosphere . I only ran one can on pcv line directly into the intake I left the other hooked up to the cold side intake .it needs to relieve pressure some how .and I've wondered if having that open like that contributeed to my can filling up so fast during cold weather

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Empty once a month is never good if you drive the car much especially in climate with cool moist air and on the PCV side.

VTA is vent to atmosphere. I make a kit that converts the system to dual breather VTA with no PCV at all. Maintenance free, cheaper than cans, more effective, no issues like cans may cause.

·
Registered
27 Posts
While vta is better for my engine I am hyperostosis . I smell things most cannot and smells trigger a primal emotional response from me and when I had my system vta it bothered me every time I stopped if my hose clamps weren't tight I can smell the fumes and I can probably smell it if the car in front of me is a v and they are vta I'm betting I can tell you . My solution in idea only thus far is this I currently own two catch cans #1(black) is a two port and #2( red ) is a 3port with a bottom drain . My solution thus far is to have red positioned above black with red in line with pcv with a pcv valve before #1." clean" port to engine red#3 to original pcv have red drain on bottom go to black #2 port and black #1 clean line return to red #2 port . So I figured gravity would drain to black and black would have to fill up before red does and if black was full it wouldn't b able to suck up water in a "gulp"more of a percalter type intake and maybe a low resistance oiroil separator for other crankshaft vent hose to cold pipe .a little complicated I know and a large secondary" black" can would be preferable located as far down and away as possible this is just an idea if you see a potential issue with this please

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That's going to be tough to deal with. You can do a VTA setup that not only runs under the car but farther away from you. The con is any horizontal run of line makes it more dangerous.

You may just want to keep things stock and do walnut blast every so often to remove carbon buildup or get a larger more efficient can setup and empty more promptly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You obviously don't know me nothing is fine at stock NOTHING!!! It needs more horsepower had har harh I blame Tim taylor lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a problem in have and am working on .it's just that everything you buy these days is designed to fail you . I have no faith in anything until I fix it I'm always just waiting for it to break . Seriously when u buy anything at all your asked if you want a warranty plan on it how damn confident are you in what your buying if you need to buy an extra warranty to cover the item your buying and most people seem just fine with it there is nothing younwill pass down to your children or grand children and that's way off topic I know but philosophy has no forum nor can you truly know what looking at when you start out looking through a microscope\ telescope God day do right it's really important right now

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Key is proper maintenance, part, and tuning. Issue is not many know what proper is for any of these categories and these are the majority that have problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well that's like me saying fusion is the solution to the worlds energy and climate issues .Easy to say that proper maintenance blah blah so if your bogarting the proper knowledge pass that s***t. And quick question Question what's your view on cerma I have one engine with it one that has not had it done as far as I know I plan on comparing the two as soon as it's not negative digits outside I can't say with any confidence that it did anything but I put it in at 18k and oe blew at 100k and the cam and top end were incredibley clean . But I never let oil go to long either so lots of factors involved but I'll let you know with a separate thread with evidence and photos

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I share knowledge daily between here, FB, and IG. Many do not seem to listen though and suffer the consequences be it minor or major. Many may not know that I deal with these cars on the daily though, hold records with the platform, and have not had any issues or blown head gaskets or engines on any car I've touched or tuned thus far. VT tinkering since 2014 :)

Re cerma it can help yes. It will not make up for other issues at hand though. In other words it's not a miracle working product that can make the engine bulletproof. Another thing to keep in mind is that the best maintenance, parts, fluids, tune, etc done to the car will not make up for or erase the damage done to the before that point.

·
Super Moderator
3,437 Posts
and 99% of it is here if you search lol just alot of bs as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where is your sense of adventure??? There's no excitement following In the footsteps of someone else lol and I have serious trust issues like I don't even trust myself half the time ...for good reason usually might I add

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Where is your sense of adventure??? There's no excitement following In the footsteps of someone else lol and I have serious trust issues like I don't even trust myself half the time ...for good reason usually might I add
Most issues people have with these cars is due to following what others do or say but this is only because most people spread misinformation or try to cut corners to save $. Clean sweeping the misinformation posted will help those who actually read posts or search for things related to the platform. Those that never research well they're screwed anyway.

Other issue is due to taking a reactive approach to maintenance instead of being proactive. In other words "if not broke don't fix it" does not make for as reliable setup as "fix it before it breaks" way of thinking will. Avg person does not understand that something failing such as plugs or coils causes irreversible damage be it minor or major that makes the setup less reliable from that point on. Replace before it fails and no damage ever done thus more reliable for longer life as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes preventive maintenance is key to longevity . But where do you draw the line that determines beneficial preventive? And I hardly make any decisions about anything new that I don't research to the point of confidence in my decision. Researchgate.org is a great data research site and reddit is a good place to find out why to look up on RG. I am very aware of any slight deviation from normal with my car . I would regularly monitor with obd reader (blue driver)and can quantify what normal is in my car . I don't run it all the time but a solid 25 %. I feel that if you always each the scoreboard you'll miss the game and on a completely separate topic ammo the only one who feels like a mechanics car isn't he last car you want to steal ?? I don't think mechanics believe In preventive maintenance unless their your mechanic and its your car . How off topic can we get on this thread seriously. I always enjoy an intelligent conversation with people who have alternative opinion and views on things this a shame the societal standards in usa don't allow people to disagree on anything yet still respect one another's view . Instead if you disagree your my enemy and it's sad and I appreciate the tolerance of my ignorance I try my best not to spread what i think as fact .facts Carry slot of weight in my vocabulary. And while I hope most believe that what they say is fact I know most of what people say Is for self gain of some type not form the benefit of the person they are saying to . In conclusion yes preventive maintenance is my firm opinion for anything really . And I've come to the conclusion that I'm am so proactive cause I'm lazy plain and simple hell PM cause I'm lazymas hell

And they can't charge me hijacking can they toodles poodles I'm off like a busted condom

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I base preventative maintenance based on data collected on each part that fails across thousands of VT and also try to figure out why. If one closely monitors the car they can make things last longer for sure but this also has a cost of some sort. In general though if you replace things with parts that have low failure rates, longest avg life, before avg failures age/mileage then all will be well.

To stay on topic, doing this can prolong the life of the car where hopefully those recalled can live long enough to get the res done. Lol!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trd what would you consider a logical PM (preventive maintenance)when swapping an engine or while engine is out of car ?? Throw out bearing ? car has 100mi on it porting and polishing head and should intake manifold gasket be changed if still in good condition it just seems silly to change something just cause a company says to one of those highprofit procedure that isn't needed . And heat shield on engine or no heat shield for stop and go heat shield may help but when car is completely cool before next start what good is a heat shield for engine? I have many questions and I like to assimilate ass much data as possible before I decide thanks for your input and your experience is appreciated and unrelated I am trying to hone my abilities of conversation and I'm guessing that your 28 years old or your a very articulate 42 year of age. Not that it matters in any way I just like to see if I'm correct

21 - 40 of 48 Posts