Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check the resistance of my coil packs just to see how they were doing and our coil packs don't match the picture that generally gets shared when anyone asks how to check coil resistance.

Our packs have 4 pins and the 2013-2014's have two on the connector.

20170806_155002.jpg

The closest measurement to the .79 +/- 15% shown on the 2013-14 diagram is when I measure between the 1st two pins on the right of my pic. In each one I get roughly .92 ohms. Thats well over the +15% of .90.

Any suggestions on properly measuring these.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Upgraded Ignition Coil Packs?

Hi, it seems that the 2013 -2014 VTs get the 27301-2B110 coil packs and the 2015+ VTs have the 27301-2B120 coil packs. There is also a difference on the connector plug (2B120 has 4 wire plug instead of 2 wire).

I own a 2014 and wondering if hyundai found an issue with the 2B110 packs and replaced them with the upgraded and if this is true, has anyone on the forum managed to use the 2B120 coil packs on his 2013 - 2014 VT?

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
You'll have to jump on hyundaitechinfo.com and get the specs for the newer ignition coils. It's not free, however.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll have to jump on hyundaitechinfo.com and get the specs for the newer ignition coils. It's not free, however.
Thanks but unfortunately after spending $20 I found that Hyundais records are not up to date. Even if I put in a 2017 Turbo it still shows the 2 wire coil packs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks but unfortunately after spending $20 I found that Hyundais records are not up to date. Even if I put in a 2017 Turbo it still shows the 2 wire coil packs.
spec is .75 ohms +- 15% at 20 degrees Celsius. between power and control terminal of coil. pins 4(power) and 2 (control circuit). pin 1 is a ground and pin 3 is not used.

·
Registered
139 Posts
based on the diagram i'm looking at, the old 2 pin coils, the ecm control the switched ground. on the new 4 pin coils, it appears as if the coil has an independent ground and the ecm sends the on off signal to the coil and the switching actually occurs in the coil itself. As if the coil is it's own module. probably to reduce ecm interference in some form

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
based on the diagram i'm looking at, the old 2 pin coils, the ecm control the switched ground. on the new 4 pin coils, it appears as if the coil has an independent ground and the ecm sends the on off signal to the coil and the switching actually occurs in the coil itself. As if the coil is it's own module. probably to reduce ecm interference in some form
Where are you seeing this because I just paid for one week of the Hyundai Service website and all the info on the coil packs up to 2018 still shows the 2 wires packs.,

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spec is .75 ohms +- 15% at 20 degrees Celsius. between power and control terminal of coil. pins 4(power) and 2 (control circuit). pin 1 is a ground and pin 3 is not used.
Based on my pic, which would be pin 1? the Left?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm a Technician at a dealership in Canada, we have access to all the models
Ok, I replied to your post in my thread.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm reviving this again because I just took readings on each of my coil packs and what I'm getting is completely different than what was said here. When measuring between pins 2 and 4 I'm seeing about 345 to 348 K ohms on each coil pack. There is no combination that comes anywhere close to .79 ohms

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason I'm bringing this back up is because after a few good runs testing the new Power with my tune when I came to a stop and was at idle in my garage I was feeling bumps in the idle from misses.

I thought I would check to make sure all my coil packs were reading the same and I also pulled one plug just to see how the coloration looked. Here's what number three looks like.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts