Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 2016 Veloster turbo automatic. It has 31000 miles on it. I have read about transmission issues. Has this been resolved or is this an issue with all DCT VT? Please help need vehicle soon!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
confirm warranty details

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
The link u posted talks about engine issues. Doesn't specify automatic or manual. Is the engine an issue for both transmissions?
Correct, the blog article is not transmission-specific, except for the transmission fluids mentioned. Yes, all VT1 owners should follow that guidance, regardless of transmission type.

I saw you went into another member’s thread and asked similar questions. I removed it because that is called thread hijacking and is not allowed here.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Is the 2015 a better buy? Does it have the same issues?
Depends on condition & maintenance.
Engine, yes; transmission is a traditional hydraulic automatic with torque converter. Less efficient but fewer issues, but it can get quirky as well.

Look, if you want a 2016 DCT, get one. Just do your homework beforehand since you know little about the platform.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depends on condition & maintenance.
Engine, yes; transmission is a traditional hydraulic automatic with torque converter. Less efficient but fewer issues, but it can get quirky as well.

Look, if you want a 2016 DCT, get one. Just do your homework beforehand since you know little about the platform.
Do all the 2016 turbos automatic have the DCT?

·
Registered
332 Posts
2013-2015 have conventional hydraulic automatics
2016-2017 have DCTs

A DCT is not an automatic. In fact its more like a manual than an automatic. However, it is generally automatically operated. It can be confusing. Most of the time automatic and dct can be used interchangeably but if you are asking technical questions it can avoid some confusion by using the name for the transmission that is most correct.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
So the DCTs are crap. Going on four years and Hyundai can't fix these? Is there a aftermarket fix for the DCT?

Which is why I mentioned "warranty details". I've gone through 2 DCT's all covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Again, it’s not so much that the DCT itself is crap, it’s that the factory tune causes weird irrational DCT behavior, usually at the worst possible time.

The only aftermarket “fix” is a tune. There is an upgraded clutch kit available but it doesn’t address the behavior.

A dealer can also update the TCM software, but usually only if there is a problem reported.

A DCT is simply an automated manual transmission.

Go test drive the one you’re considering and see how it operates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The link u posted talks about engine issues. Doesn't specify automatic or manual. Is the engine an issue for both transmissions?

Again, it’s not so much that the DCT itself is crap, it’s that the factory tune causes weird irrational DCT behavior, usually at the worst possible time.

The only aftermarket “fix” is a tune. There is an upgraded clutch kit available but it doesn’t address the behavior.

A dealer can also update the TCM software, but usually only if there is a problem reported.

A DCT is simply an automated manual transmission.

Go test drive the one you’re considering and see how it operates.
The result is the car rides it’s own clutch usually and it doesn’t get better if you shift into the manual mode because the computer is still riding the clutch. And 1st gear is super bucky because you can’t push in the clutch. Also, at least on mine the power curve is not smooth on acceleration. I took it in and they just told me to run higher octane. That didn’t fix it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are no real issues with the 2016 DCT, as it came from the factory with the latest firmware. I have 25,000 on my 16 and it is flawless. Screwing with the ECU can cause problems in lots of ways.
I am looking to buy a 2016 Veloster turbo automatic. It has 31000 miles on it. I have read about transmission issues. Has this been resolved or is this an issue with all DCT VT? Please help need vehicle soon!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There are no real issues with the 2016 DCT, as it came from the factory with the latest firmware. I have 25,000 on my 16 and it is flawless. Screwing with the ECU can cause problems in lots of ways.
False!

I honestly wish I was tuned way before my 100k mark due to the stock tune being so inferior. 3 flywheels & 2 dct's later replaced under the stock tune.

The DCT performs great when put to the test, but is underutilized with a stock tune.

Find a reliable tuner!

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,411 Posts
I've worked on and tuned the DCT VT and more have quirks than those that don't. Most minor and some major issues few are good and the only good ones are the 19+. But then you deal with a bigger price tag and a smaller turbo for modding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts