Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
The link u posted talks about engine issues. Doesn't specify automatic or manual. Is the engine an issue for both transmissions?
Correct, the blog article is not transmission-specific, except for the transmission fluids mentioned. Yes, all VT1 owners should follow that guidance, regardless of transmission type.

I saw you went into another member’s thread and asked similar questions. I removed it because that is called thread hijacking and is not allowed here.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Is the 2015 a better buy? Does it have the same issues?
Depends on condition & maintenance.
Engine, yes; transmission is a traditional hydraulic automatic with torque converter. Less efficient but fewer issues, but it can get quirky as well.

Look, if you want a 2016 DCT, get one. Just do your homework beforehand since you know little about the platform.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Again, it’s not so much that the DCT itself is crap, it’s that the factory tune causes weird irrational DCT behavior, usually at the worst possible time.

The only aftermarket “fix” is a tune. There is an upgraded clutch kit available but it doesn’t address the behavior.

A dealer can also update the TCM software, but usually only if there is a problem reported.

A DCT is simply an automated manual transmission.

Go test drive the one you’re considering and see how it operates.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
How much does it cost to tune the car? How can I tell if the car has this DCT issue when I test drive. Does doing any the mods to prevent this issue void warranty?
Varies; $0-$1200. You said you read about the problems, so you should know how to reproduce them. Only if you have an issue requiring powertrain work and they check the ECM; it also depends on the dealer.

You’ve asked enough questions.

Let’s see some of the cars you’re looking at. Capture some videos while test driving.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Don’t see anything blatantly abnormal, but without an accompanying description of what you are feeling (i.e., how much pedal you’re giving it, if there is a dead area with no response when pushing the pedal, etc.), it’s practically impossible to give feedback.

Since you have a Google account, use YouTube for videos, since they will automatically embed right in your post(s).

Bottom line is more background information plus feedback is what needs to accompany the vids. We’re not clairvoyant... =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts