Veloster Turbo Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
False!

I honestly wish I was tuned way before my 100k mark due to the stock tune being so inferior. 3 flywheels & 2 dct's later replaced under the stock tune.

The DCT performs great when put to the test, but is underutilized with a stock tune.

Find a reliable tuner!
How much does it cost to tune the car? How can I tell if the car has this DCT issue when I test drive. Does doing any the mods to prevent this issue void warranty?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Again, it’s not so much that the DCT itself is crap, it’s that the factory tune causes weird irrational DCT behavior, usually at the worst possible time.

The only aftermarket “fix” is a tune. There is an upgraded clutch kit available but it doesn’t address the behavior.

A dealer can also update the TCM software, but usually only if there is a problem reported.

A DCT is simply an automated manual transmission.

Go test drive the one you’re considering and see how it operates.
How would I know it the updated software has been applied?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
How much does it cost to tune the car? How can I tell if the car has this DCT issue when I test drive. Does doing any the mods to prevent this issue void warranty?
Varies; $0-$1200. You said you read about the problems, so you should know how to reproduce them. Only if you have an issue requiring powertrain work and they check the ECM; it also depends on the dealer.

You’ve asked enough questions.

Let’s see some of the cars you’re looking at. Capture some videos while test driving.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Don’t see anything blatantly abnormal, but without an accompanying description of what you are feeling (i.e., how much pedal you’re giving it, if there is a dead area with no response when pushing the pedal, etc.), it’s practically impossible to give feedback.

Since you have a Google account, use YouTube for videos, since they will automatically embed right in your post(s).

Bottom line is more background information plus feedback is what needs to accompany the vids. We’re not clairvoyant... =)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Don’t see anything blatantly abnormal, but without an accompanying description of what you are feeling (i.e., how much pedal you’re giving it, if there is a dead area with no response when pushing the pedal, etc.), it’s practically impossible to give feedback.

Since you have a Google account, use YouTube for videos, since they will automatically embed right in your post(s).

Bottom line is more background information plus feedback is what needs to accompany the vids. We’re not clairvoyant... =)
Well it felt like I had some turbo lag which I guess is normal. I would floor it and the would go but a second or two you would feel the turbo kick in. I don't think I felt any dead spots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've worked on and tuned the DCT VT and more have quirks than those that don't. Most minor and some major issues few are good and the only good ones are the 19+. But then you deal with a bigger price tag and a smaller turbo for modding.
Hi!

Just getting into this whole debate as I've just had my 2016 for about a year. Mine seems to have a decent jerk/slip in first to second gear and I've been wondering what to do about it. Is getting a tune the only way to go about this and if so how do you recommend finding someone who does them?

Tried to DM you but I'm too new to the forum.
Thanks!!

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,315 Posts
See if car is under the TSB for the TCU tune by hyundai first. Other than that some have swapped to better transmission oil, had a TCU relearn performed by the dealer, or had the tcu tuned by an aftermarket company.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts