Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience similar to this with their Veloster. I recently had some issues come up with my Veloster that progressively got worse over the course of 24 hours. It started with the abs light coming on followed by several other warning lights and my cluster showing a blank box for the transmission selector. I was driving it the next day and on my way home the power steering stopped working and when I finally got the vehicle home to call the dealership and take the car in I could no longer get the vehicle out of park. Long story short my car has been at the dealership for over a month now and the dealership is refusing to do any work to the car because they could not find the issue and have inst at ruled it an outside influence. After checking the Veloster forums I noticed iced a lot of people having the same issues in the same sequence and many of them attributed it to the vacuum pump. Although I voiced this information to the dealership they are still refusing to do anything citing lightning strike even though there is no basis for that claim. The vehicle is still under warranty, but that doesn't seem to be helping me.

The only difference I see with my case that I haven't seen online is that several of my modules are not responding when a diagnostic is run on the vehicle.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,551 Posts
Go to another dealer. Vacuum pump issue or sometimes if you have something in the obd2 port like a reader it can do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to another dealer. Vacuum pump issue or sometimes if you have something in the obd2 port like a reader it can do this.
I'm taking it to another dealership as we speak I just hope I can convince them to look into the matter more than the previous dealership and that whatever the original dealership put in the system does not impact my chances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you happen to find out what happened? I literally just had this issue arise with me today out of nowhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you happen to find out what happened? I literally just had this issue arise with me today out of nowhere
It's been at the new dealership since Monday and they just called me today to talk about the other dealership's findings as possible reasons for the issues, they mentioned it possibly being the speed sensor which I have seen on here as well as a possible reason for the issues. The annoying part is they want to quote me for the repair because they are claiming that if what the other dealership found is true then it would be out of warranty, which I would agree if someone could prove to me that it was lightning. I was ready to initially believe the lightning diagnosis when the first dealership told me, but when I was able to see so many other instances of the identical issue here and on Reddit I knew that wasn't the case and the dealership was trying to pass it off on me because they couldn't diagnose the issue properly. I am still waiting on the original dealership to give me something in writing that they are refusing service because they claim it to be lightning. it just eats me up that they probably get away with this shit with other customers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's been at the new dealership since Monday and they just called me today to talk about the other dealership's findings as possible reasons for the issues, they mentioned it possibly being the speed sensor which I have seen on here as well as a possible reason for the issues. The annoying part is they want to quote me for the repair because they are claiming that if what the other dealership found is true then it would be out of warranty, which I would agree if someone could prove to me that it was lightning. I was ready to initially believe the lightning diagnosis when the first dealership told me, but when I was able to see so many other instances of the identical issue here and on Reddit I knew that wasn't the case and the dealership was trying to pass it off on me because they couldn't diagnose the issue properly. I am still waiting on the original dealership to give me something in writing that they are refusing service because they claim it to be lightning. it just eats me up that they probably get away with this shit with other customers.
Lightning? All I know is I guess I'm going to have to take it in on Monday and hope I don't get the run around like you cause the last time they pissed me off it didn't go well for them, I think hyundai might have some of the worst if not the worst dealerships ever! I only have extended warranty too so I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lightning? All I know is I guess I'm going to have to take it in on Monday and hope I don't get the run around like you cause the last time they pissed me off it didn't go well for them, I think hyundai might have some of the worst if not the worst dealerships ever! I only have extended warranty too so I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks.
Yeah not a problem, I wish you the best of luck. If you don't mind me asking what did you do last time to get your issue resolved if it's applicable in a situation like this. I was thinking of seeking legal representation as soon as I can get someone to give me in writing that they are refusing service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah not a problem, I wish you the best of luck. If you don't mind me asking what did you do last time to get your issue resolved if it's applicable in a situation like this. I was thinking of seeking legal representation as soon as I can get someone to give me in writing that they are refusing service.
Well It will be a bit different for you but I ended up contacting the owners of the dealerships, so here in canada some are owned by auto Canada and others are I guess private. But I contacted them, since I knew they were full of shit, once they investigated there was some repercussions to that dealer and I got my work done basically on their loss. I like their cars but there customer service and dealerships are among the worst, all they do is bullshit you most of the time for whatever reason. Mine was to do with oil leaks they fucked around and said they fixed the problem but literally did basically nothing and had my car for a week and a half.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya if they are refusing work they literally are supposed to prove why, and if they can't then depending on what the situation is just ask to atleast speak to the gm and also contacting hyundai themselves sometimes works, last time I was refused work by them for perforation under my back windshield I called hyundai and they said that the dealer never even put in a request for work to be done under warranty so in the end it screwed me over and I wasn't able to get it done since my warranty at that point was done and I only had extended, because they just straight lied to me saying that I was refused by hyundai themselves meanwhile they never even got a report of it. At which they told me that if the report had gone in when they originally said then I could have still got it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey so I took my car in today and got it fixed in like an hour they knew exactly what the problem was for the most part which is surprising. Cost me a total of about $300 but the part itself was only $13 and its the brake booster vacuum pump pcv module which was shorted out. So if they are still screwing you around tell them to test the module on the back of the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey so I took my car in today and got it fixed in like an hour they knew exactly what the problem was for the most part which is surprising. Cost me a total of about $300 but the part itself was only $13 and its the brake booster vacuum pump pcv module which was shorted out. So if they are still screwing you around tell them to test the module on the back of the vacuum pump.
I wish it was that easy for me, the new dealership seems to have diagnosed it as a faulty speed sensor and they were going to replace it, but now that they saw the notes from the previous dealership about the lightning strike they are refusing to perform and work because they believe Hyundai will not honor the warranty claim. Meanwhile, the previous dealership never opened a repair order or bothered to keep any documentation about the testing process and what, if anything, that they replaced. So now all because I brought it to a terrible dealership that did a piss poor job of servicing it I'm stuck in this situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wish it was that easy for me, the new dealership seems to have diagnosed it as a faulty speed sensor and they were going to replace it, but now that they saw the notes from the previous dealership about the lightning strike they are refusing to perform and work because they believe Hyundai will not honor the warranty claim. Meanwhile, the previous dealership never opened a repair order or bothered to keep any documentation about the testing process and what, if anything, that they replaced. So now all because I brought it to a terrible dealership that did a piss poor job of servicing it I'm stuck in this situation.
Have you contacted hyundai directly? If you don't mind me asking where are these dealerships located? Cause there's a good chance that they will have a franchise owner aswell...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you contacted Hyundai directly? If you don't mind me asking where are these dealerships located? Cause there's a good chance that they will have a franchise owner aswell...
I have and unfortunately, when I was finally able to convince the dealership to submit the repairs to Hyundai they declined the repairs citing the dealership's suspicion of lightning damage so now my car effectively has a stain on in for the rest of its life and I may just have to get rid of it because no matter what every time I bring it in for service this is going to come up and be used as justification for denying my warranty. the new dealership I took it to diagnosed it as a speed sensor which lines up to what a few users have also stated, but now that they were finally able to get a copy of the PA they are walking back their previous finding, it's absolutely maddening to think that I will probably be forced out of this car because the previous Hyundai dealership didn't do their due diligence and was so poor at documenting their work if anything was done because nothing shows up in the system. Both these dealerships are in South Florida.

·
Administrator
5,551 Posts
You're not trying hard enough or talking to the right people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're not trying hard enough or talking to the right people.
I've spoken to everyone in service at the first dealership and I'm still waiting for a call back from the GM who was supposed to call me. I also opened a compilation with Hyundai corporate, but it turns out they basically have no power to do anything so I'm not sure why they even have the complaint line. The vehicle is at another dealership now and I'm hoping to fair better there, but I can't get anyone to go around this bs PA that was provided by Hyundai warranty to the original dealership despite them not opening a repair order or documenting anything that was done to the vehicle. I'm not sure who else i can even talk to at this point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funnily enough, I finally got a call back from the GM at the original dealership and he was furious because I left a negative review on google maps and put in a complaint with the BBB. It basically turned into a shakedown mob boss style saying I could get my work order when I paid for the rental car they had me in for 3 weeks while they couldn't diagnose the issue and that he should sue me for slandering the dealership. I have honestly never experienced anything this insane in my life. Once his roid rage wore off I was finally able to get a copy of the work order even though I was just told one was never written up. I don't have experience with these work orders, but it looks like they just wrote one up today as a cash order so I don't know how much that's going to help me. Hyundai corporate said there is nothing stopping the new dealership from submitting their own claim, but for whatever reason, they are reluctant even though the service manager didn't find my car to be struck by lightning and gave me a diagnosis before they saw what the other dealership had reported to Hyundai.

·
Administrator
5,551 Posts
This is not rocket science. Get it diagnosed and repaired. On your dime if the issue is found to be lightning damage, on theirs if not. That can be determined before the work is done. And I can tell you pretty confidently that it's not lightning damage and the dealer was just trying to get out of pocket $ for the job rather than deal with the warranty process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is not rocket science. Get it diagnosed and repaired. On your dime if the issue is found to be lightning damage, on theirs if not. That can be determined before the work is done. And I can tell you pretty confidently that it's not lightning damage and the dealer was just trying to get out of pocket $ for the job rather than deal with the warranty process.
Would you recommend I take it to a private repair shop and seek to get reimbursed from Hyundai after because for whatever reason I can't get this new Hyundai dealership to do a repair even though they suspect that it is not lightning damage? My issue is that they can so easily refuse service and then put a stain on your vehicle for any service you need going forward.

·
Administrator
5,551 Posts
Any other dealer than the initial one needs to determine the issue at hand aka diagnose the car and document it. Then repair will be based on that determination. Out of pocket is cheaper DIY or by a private shop. Warranty work by dealer only. I would not take the reimbursement route as that will not work like you want it to most likely.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
4 Posts
Just started having this exact problem myself. First is started with my traction control light being illuminated solid and the airbag light on. Then the power steering light started flashing and abs light came on. Power steering went out, brake light came on, and transmission box went blank. This also happened in the matter of 24 hours driving it. Will have to get it towed to the repair shop. Did you guys get a definite cause for your issue yet?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts