Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon fellow Veloster Owners,
I have a 2016 DCT and pretty much last thing I haven't ordered or want to do this summer is an exhaust. Just looking for some suggestions on what to get. Rather custom or an actual exhaust. I've heard that solo is a good exhaust but I don't think it fit's a 2016. Also I've thought of just going to a standard exhaust shop and getting them to install a 3 inch exhaust with a big resonator and slim muffler. Biggest thing is I do want limited cabin drone at highway speeds. Can't wait to hear back from you guys.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,233 Posts
Do you want it for true performance or sound? Goals and uses of the car now or in the future? Current mods?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The actual size of the exhaust you need is going to depend on what power level you're trying to push. You won't need a 3" until you start to get near 300hp. Personally, I love my MBRP 2.5" catback. Nice throaty sound, loud enough when I floor it, quiet (enough) at lower RPM. Might be a little more cabin drone than YOU want (I'm personally a fan of loud exhausts), but I don't think it's bad at all. Can't tell much with windows even slightly cracked. Also going to be just about the cheapest you can get an exhaust, unless you've got a buddy at your muffler shop who owes you a few.

And trdtoy has definitely got some of the best information out here. If you're really into getting the absolute BEST setup for the mix of performance and sound you're looking for, he can help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you want it for true performance or sound? Goals and uses of the car now or in the future? Current mods?
Both, really planning to go FBO eventually. As of this week I have intake, Oil Catch Can and BOV. I'm wanting to add 60mm throttle body just need to find one(don't feel like paying the $100+ for a new one). Then just some cosmetic stuff I plan on downpipe and FMIC over the winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The actual size of the exhaust you need is going to depend on what power level you're trying to push. You won't need a 3" until you start to get near 300hp. Personally, I love my MBRP 2.5" catback. Nice throaty sound, loud enough when I floor it, quiet (enough) at lower RPM. Might be a little more cabin drone than YOU want (I'm personally a fan of loud exhausts), but I don't think it's bad at all. Can't tell much with windows even slightly cracked. Also going to be just about the cheapest you can get an exhaust, unless you've got a buddy at your muffler shop who owes you a few.

And trdtoy has definitely got some of the best information out here. If you're really into getting the absolute BEST setup for the mix of performance and sound you're looking for, he can help.
Only reason I don't want a lot is for passengers or when I get a headache lol. Really as long as the windows are up and radio is on and there is no drone I am good. I don't know if I would push 300WHP if anything I want to go FBO. I have heard of MBRP I'm really seeing if there are any other options out there. I know there is the classic Borla, Magnaflow, Greddy, etc... Even ok with going custom at the exhaust shop up the street.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
205 Posts
The actual size of the exhaust you need is going to depend on what power level you're trying to push. You won't need a 3" until you start to get near 300hp.
I would say your choice of downpipe will impact things more than the exhaust will. 2.5" vs 3" downpipe.

I don't think there are any 3" exhaust systems you can buy that aren't custom.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
You'll be fine with just a muffler delete and gutting the cats to save $.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say your choice of downpipe will impact things more than the exhaust will. 2.5" vs 3" downpipe.

I don't think there are any 3" exhaust systems you can buy that aren't custom.
I know there are a few I think ISR, and solo are.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right lol. I learned something today!
Yeah, I've done way too much research on exhaust systems as of late for no reason lol. I thought it would be easy but seeing the price for some of these hurt especially since I've heard mixed about them. I originally was going to go borla since I've used their stuff in the past but I heard it is meh on these cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have 2 other friends with velosters, I have a magnaflow, one has ISR and one has Borla I believe. To be honest... We don't sound that different lol. And that's coming from someone that does music for a living lol. Which ever makes you happiest!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 2 other friends with velosters, I have a magnaflow, one has ISR and one has Borla I believe. To be honest... We don't sound that different lol. And that's coming from someone that does music for a living lol. Which ever makes you happiest!
O yeah that's one of my issues I care a lot about exhaust note. I changed my major out of music but that's cool you have a career in music. Good to know though. Finding a good exhaust note for a good price never seemed harder.

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
Yeah, I mean I do plan to get an actual downpipe eventually. Money saving isn't a huge deal if it is worth the price.
Worth the cost or not is very dependent on the owner preference on sound vs power vs cost. By saying you do not want 300 whp says that 3" is not needed at all. In that case you can do this much cheaper and get the sound and performance you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Worth the cost or not is very dependent on the owner preference on sound vs power vs cost. By saying you do not want 300 whp says that 3" is not needed at all. In that case you can do this much cheaper and get the sound and performance you want.
That's fair, so what do you mean do this? Do you mean getting a custom exhaust done? Like I said I do want to go for power I've just seen there is really no way to get 300WHP with out spending a whole lot of extra money.

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
If you do not want 300 whp that means you're keeping the oem turbo. On the oem turbo you can make 270 whp area max. Higher on N2O but let's not go there. Difference from 2.5-3" is only a few hp on the oem turbo at this power level.

I'd start with a simple bolt on muffler delete and gutting the oem cats. Do the rest of the mods and tuning and see if the power and sound is good for you. If not, then at that point you can do a full turbo back setup for a little more power and change the sound up. Spending the $ to do a full 3" from the get go for the given power and sound you want may not be worth it though. All up to personal preferences, opinions, and budget which varies person to person.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good afternoon fellow Veloster Owners,
I have a 2016 DCT and pretty much last thing I haven't ordered or want to do this summer is an exhaust. Just looking for some suggestions on what to get. Rather custom or an actual exhaust. I've heard that solo is a good exhaust but I don't think it fit's a 2016. Also I've thought of just going to a standard exhaust shop and getting them to install a 3 inch exhaust with a big resonator and slim muffler. Biggest thing is I do want limited cabin drone at highway speeds. Can't wait to hear back from you guys.
I've got the Borla axle Back, and it's perfect. I actually ran into my car's twin this past weekend, and he had the cat back Borla. They sound IDENTICAL! If you're interested in hearing it, let me know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is nothing fancy.
Muffler delete and put a straight pipe.
I've changed my stock resonator to Glasspack.

I love the way it is tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts