Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem for months taken it to different shops and everything no on can seem to fix it. Sometimes I have boost sometimes I don't the problem always seems to happen when accelerating uphill and then it goes into limp mode almost like my turbo has been shut off. Idk what the problem is tomorrow I am going to clean the cold air intake filter and try to clean up the MAP and boost sensors since I don't know if any of the shops checked them and if that doesn't fix it I have no idea what the problem could be. I have taken it to a hyundai dealership and all they found was a little bit of oil in the intake but but that was it.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,320 Posts
List the year model, mods, miles, tune, and what all has been checked thus far and was it checked by a hyundai dealer or no?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I listed most of that already but it's a 2016 veloster turbo all it has as far as I know is a cold air intake. It's only at 72k miles they have checked the turbo itself and all of the hoses/intake manifold they replaced the wastegate valve thinking that might be the problem but it wasn't. I don't know if they did a pressure test they didn't specify even though I reccomended that they do one and yes the last 2 times I have taken it in were to a certified dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
228 Posts
I've had this problem for months taken it to different shops and everything no on can seem to fix it. Sometimes I have boost sometimes I don't the problem always seems to happen when accelerating uphill and then it goes into limp mode almost like my turbo has been shut off. Idk what the problem is tomorrow I am going to clean the cold air intake filter and try to clean up the MAP and boost sensors since I don't know if any of the shops checked them and if that doesn't fix it I have no idea what the problem could be. I have taken it to a hyundai dealership and all they found was a little bit of oil in the intake but but that was it.
Likely the wastegate solenoid. I know you said they replaced the valve, not sure if you meant solenoid instead. Had the exact same symptoms. Does your boost come back after turning the car off and then back on again?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Likely the wastegate solenoid. I know you said they replaced the valve, not sure if you meant solenoid instead. Had the exact same symptoms. Does your boost come back after turning the car off and then back on again?
the solenoid sorry yes they replaced that already and no restarting the car makes no difference but if i shut it off for a few hours it sometimes comes back. Also i cleaned the air intake out just now and it was incredibly dirty i just bought the car a few months ago it honestly looks like whoever had it before had never cleaned it out. there was also a loose flap of rubber inside the cold air filter which i removed not sure where it came from but it was pretty torn up so hopefully none of the parts that were missing ended up in my engine. The car has been running perfectly fine other than this boost problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am waiting for the intake filter to dry right now so i can oil it and then put it back on after it dries i went ahead and disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light so if i am lucky maybe it was just the clogged air filter.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
228 Posts
the solenoid sorry yes they replaced that already and no restarting the car makes no difference but if i shut it off for a few hours it sometimes comes back. Also i cleaned the air intake out just now and it was incredibly dirty i just bought the car a few months ago it honestly looks like whoever had it before had never cleaned it out. there was also a loose flap of rubber inside the cold air filter which i removed not sure where it came from but it was pretty torn up so hopefully none of the parts that were missing ended up in my engine. The car has been running perfectly fine other than this boost problem.
Here's hoping the air filter fixed it. I'm concerned about the lost piece of rubber. You need to find where it came from and make sure the piece you found is all that's come off. If a piece got loose and got sucked into the turbo, that's probably the cause of the issue

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's hoping the air filter fixed it. I'm concerned about the lost piece of rubber. You need to find where it came from and make sure the piece you found is all that's come off. If a piece got loose and got sucked into the turbo, that's probably the cause of the issue
yeah that is my thinking as well it looked like it might have come from the filter but that was the only piece i could find it was stuck to the bottom of the filter i have an appointment to take it back to the dealer later this month so if i still have the problem i might need them to take the turbo out and look inside of it i have an extended warranty luckily so if i do end up needing a new one its not a horrible price tag at least.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,121 Posts
can you post pictures of all this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
took it for a drive on the highway about 20min and so far so good it also seems to be running better at idle and is more responsive when i hit the gas i will give it a few days and see if the code pops back up or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
damn you can see right through that filter too! what brand is it?

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
that's a K&N, huh my panel filter doesnt look like that. the filter pleats run straight through left to right. with no spaces. then again i've never had any K&N cone filters. and it's pinkish red.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mine is red now since i put filter oil back on it i had to degrease it because it was so caked with dirt i was actually amazed at how murky the water was when i rinsed it off. I am almost positive the person who owned the car before me had never taken it off and cleaned it.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
gotcha. i bought 2 of the panel filters and just clean/swap them every other season, lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts