Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought id start up my build thread since im about ready to get moving on it. Ive owned VT for about a year now and figure its about time to start fiddling with it. The first couple of performance mods im doing are going to be fairly minor (im trying to fly under the radar so I dont run the risk of voiding my warrenty). That being said, im choosing to put my money towards some performance mods first before I turn my attention to aesthetics. Nothing really has been done to the car yet except for a Boost Gauge (for logging and monitoring in the future) and the magnet removal mod with the intake.Here are a couple shots of what Suki looks like as of now though:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to mention, the mods I have in mind currently are:
TurboSmart Kompact plumb back BOV
Intercooler Cold Pipe (sixth sense)
Intercooler res delete (sixth sense)
Muffler and Res delete
Maybe an Intake, I have mixed feelings about that one though. Ive heard a lot voids come from aftermarket intakes?

Please let me know if there are any other mods you think could be accomplished that would be lowkey! Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honestly, the dealership can try to give you hell for something like an oil catch can. My rule was basically I'll install anything I want on the car as long as the install doesn't take more than 1 hour so if I ever have issues I'll be sure to put every little bit back the way it was. If anything, the aftermarket intake is one of the easiest ones, 10 minute swap out if you don't pull all the air box stuff out from behind the bumper.

Though one suggestion is if you're looking into a new cold pipe, check out the 3/4tbs and 60mm throttle body upgrade.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
You should speak to service managers of local dealershits and see how they feel about mods. Some are very reasonable, some play it by the book.

You may wanna iron out where you want the car to end up in terms of performance, handling and aesthetics. That way you don't waste money. For example, if you plan on getting and FMIC in the future, don't buy a cold pipe or IC resonator delete. If you ever plan on getting an upgraded hot pipe (totally worth it), you won't need that IC resonator delete again. There's plenty of parts out there this applies to.

Finally, this car really does do well with a tune. Even a base "stage 0" tune does wonders and you can tune anything from a stock engine to full bolt on. If you use a spare ECU you can just swap it out (takes 2 minutes) if you ever have to go to the stealer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can go to a local muffler shop and get a Magnaflow installed. Have them cut out flanges and weld in pipe. Leave the resonator as it will done if you don't. Mine sounds great and cost less than $200. Lots cheaper than a cat back! Do the intake. You can get a system that is 3.5" and goes into OEM airbox, nice and quiet. Read mod posts here. Lots u can do that comes off easy for warranty work. Check with your dealer to see how they feel about mods. My dealer always asked me what I have done. Just don't say a tune! Good luck, blessings, Whiz

·
Registered
866 Posts
Are you already running a high quality oil? Do you have catch can(s) in place? Have you addressed your motors electrical ground points? There are some really UNsexy things I'd recommend prior to you diving into the standard fare. The link posted above by E9 has a very comprehensive list and outlines importance. That said I have a couple other thoughts on your list. If you aren't planning on swapping a 60mm TB to your car I wouldn't bother with any aftermarket cold pipe. They serve no purpose if your still feeding the stock IC to the OE 57mm TB.

How many miles are on your car? It might behoove you to do some other things like plugs, coolant, tranny fluid, etc. If you're going to start modding a car with high(ish) millage.

Lastly, don't discount how good these mods are even though they aren't sexy at all

- Pierce Rear Torsion Bar
- Xe XWEK
- replacement/updated MAP sensor
- high grade fluids throughout the car

Happy modding man and don't skimp on the foundational and preventative to rush into the sexy stuff... just my two pennies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once thanks for the input guys. I that foundational mods list and found it extremely useful. Come to think of it an oil catch should probably be a priority, my car is currently at 33k miles so it should be early enough in the lifetime of the car that it should have any serious build up. Although ill see if I can borrow a boroscope and still have a look. Now currently ive done all my oil changes with the dealer, who has a promotional deal where In exchange for putting a banner on the back of my car with the dealerships name I get free oil. So id have to ask and see what the techs are putting in for my oil changes.The TB mod makes sense to me, and seems to be pretty important before moving on so ill try and pick one up.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Vent your breather and PCV to atmosphere to avoid a catch can purchase as well as probable issues in utilizing a catch-can (experience & research)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts