Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a build & price review of the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Ultimate w/DCT Transmission. I recently discovered the Hyundai Veloster and I particularly like the Turbo Ultimate trim with DCT transmission. I actually like the N as well, but would like to see it get leather, heads-up display and the DCT transmission option. I also wrote an article on my website: 2019 Hyundai Veloster - Detailed Review - Configurations

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's a build & price review of the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Ultimate w/DCT Transmission. I recently discovered the Hyundai Veloster and I particularly like the Turbo Ultimate trim with DCT transmission. I actually like the N as well, but would like to see it get leather, heads-up display and the DCT transmission option. I also wrote an article on my website: 2019 Hyundai Veloster - Detailed Review - Configurations

Wow, this seems awful late and probably shown to the wrong group of people. But I’m only posting about the idea of adding more useless options to a performance variant of a cheap car: No. The South Korean market has a variety like that (which includes that big ass sunroof but not DCT yet) and they can keep it. The car needs to stay as light as possible to keep it handling so well. If those “options” are given to dealers, they’ll load up their orders with everything available in an effort to raise their overall margins while dragging feet, or simply refusing, to order a proper performance car with the parts it needs (basically, the Performance Pack). We have too many great cars in the US market that are saddled with aging sunroof seals/electronics while people are looking to convert them to “slick tops” with filler panels and remove the automatic transmission to put in a proper manual.

Maybe the US market can get a version of the i30 N Fastback/Sportback in that new grey. That’s pretty nice and it’s already a couple hundred pounds heavier. Or we’ll just get an Elantra N that will satisfy people that just want to cruise around in a $38,000+ sedan that can spit and backfire and command. Either way, let’s cut back on future racers trying to get away from an all electric car track day AND looking for transmissions to swap into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'd like a DCT Veloster N too with all the electronic goodies. It's a nice combo of being able to go take it to a track and pretend it's a slow F1 can while having some fun while still making it usable in SoCal traffic. Those that never drove a manual on the 405 freeway at 5:30pm on a Monday just don't understand the pain hahaha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having lived in South Redondo Beach and rolled back and forth to Folsom, I can safely say the Veloster N would be a terrible commuter car. Remember, the DCT they’re talking about implementing would have to take a lot more torque for a lot longer while reducing the shift completion time and general brain dead behavior you can get from quickly shifting or going back and forth between drive and idle modes. Having a hardened DCT with a supposed 8 forward gears coupled to their eLSD with additional programming means “of teh many suck” in freeway stop and go traffic while still keeping an eye on DCT temperatures.

There is a wide variety of other options out there to deal with that type of driving, so there’s no real reason to further compromise an already compromised road-legal vehicle for something like that. Fortunately their performance division knows this, and is spending a lot more effort to develop a different DCT to attempt to address it. But I feel like you’re more likely to see an Elantra “N-Line” type of option, or maybe a beefier Kia Forté SX that could fill in this gap much sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts