Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
A lot of you have been super helpful in pointing me to the right direction for a lot of things as I begin to build my car more and more. A questions I have that I’m currently stuck with is I installed the lowering springs on my second gen veloster ( H&R ) and I like the look of it especially with the wheels and tires I got but I’ve had a hell of a time this week getting the thing to drive straight and not feel like I’m gonna flip it lol. I never thought about what issues really arise from lowering the car obviously aware of wearing through suspension faster because of it being lower.
A couple issues I’ve had so far were the fact that the alignment done on the car earlier in the week obviously could not get the camber to where it needs to be due to lower center of gravity, so I drove it afterwards and it felt like it was legit fishtailing and anytime I wanted to turn or make a sudden move it’s almost like the car wanted to fight against itself. I took it to a second place that specializes in alignments for lowered vehicles and he said he did the best he could but the car today still felt like it wasn’t very planted and like it wanted to swerve. Any recommendations on what I should do? I’m thinking of adding a adjustable sway bar in the rear from Pearce motor sports as a start but any advice on lowering springs and vehicle dynamics after doing so would be super helpful. I just want the car to handle good and drive straight lol

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
580 Posts
Hey all,
A lot of you have been super helpful in pointing me to the right direction for a lot of things as I begin to build my car more and more. A questions I have that I’m currently stuck with is I installed the lowering springs on my second gen veloster ( H&R ) and I like the look of it especially with the wheels and tires I got but I’ve had a hell of a time this week getting the thing to drive straight and not feel like I’m gonna flip it lol. I never thought about what issues really arise from lowering the car obviously aware of wearing through suspension faster because of it being lower.
A couple issues I’ve had so far were the fact that the alignment done on the car earlier in the week obviously could not get the camber to where it needs to be due to lower center of gravity, so I drove it afterwards and it felt like it was legit fishtailing and anytime I wanted to turn or make a sudden move it’s almost like the car wanted to fight against itself. I took it to a second place that specializes in alignments for lowered vehicles and he said he did the best he could but the car today still felt like it wasn’t very planted and like it wanted to swerve. Any recommendations on what I should do? I’m thinking of adding a adjustable sway bar in the rear from Pearce motor sports as a start but any advice on lowering springs and vehicle dynamics after doing so would be super helpful. I just want the car to handle good and drive straight lol
Sounds like you need a torsion bar for the back to give you stability in the rear. Best mod you can do on a tail happy Veloster. 😂👍
The rear sway bar won't really help as it's only purpose is to reduce the sway on the car and nothing more.

Also the H&R springs drop you no more than about 1-1/4 inches so you'll realky have no issues with wearing out your suspension. Having to do a wheel alignment really isn't necessary either if everything was realigned when you put it all back together.
I did my H&R springs and never did an alignment and the tires still look new. I drive it hard but still no unusual wear anywhere.
A competent alignment shop can get you going and you'll have to have some camber bolts for the front struts if you're wanting more camber.

So again get the rear torsion bar, strut bar, and trunk bar to stiffen up that loose chassis and be amazed how well she stays planted. 👍

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need a torsion bar for the back to give you stability in the rear. Best mod you can do on a tail happy Veloster. 😂👍
The rear sway bar won't really help as it's only purpose is to reduce the sway on the car and nothing more.

Also the H&R springs drop you no more than about 1-1/4 inches so you'll realky have no issues with wearing out your suspension. Having to do a wheel alignment really isn't necessary either if everything was realigned when you put it all back together.
I did my H&R springs and never did an alignment and the tires still look new. I drive it hard but still no unusual wear anywhere.
A competent alignment shop can get you going and you'll have to have some camber bolts for the front struts if you're wanting more camber.

So again get the rear torsion bar, strut bar, and trunk bar to stiffen up that loose chassis and be amazed how well she stays planted. 👍
That’s what I was thinking like how is dropping an inch 1/4 messing with this so much, the first place messed up the alignment to begin with so I had to get it fixed right after but just struggling to find out why it feels the way it does ya know. I’ll start there though I appreciate the insight!👊🏽

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
580 Posts
That’s what I was thinking like how is dropping an inch 1/4 messing with this so much, the first place messed up the alignment to begin with so I had to get it fixed right after but just struggling to find out why it feels the way it does ya know. I’ll start there though I appreciate the insight!👊🏽
Dropping it with the H&R springs brings the control arms exactly where they need to be, parallel to the ground which is ideal for handling and the best suspension performance.
This is why you probably didn't need an alignment in the first place. 🤷🏼‍♂️
All good though and have a competent alignment shop put it back to stock spec and that'll work great.
Enjoy man and good choice on the springs. I love mine and the car handles like crazy. 😍🤙

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,086 Posts
Get proper allignment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts