Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I’m new here and figured I’d hop on to ask some of you for help. I recently just bought a 2019 Veloster R spec and it’s my first 4 cylinder I’ve ever owned. Coming from being into mustangs and other v8 engine cars and trucks it’s a big change but the passion for modifying and customizing stays the same. I saw only a couple of videos of muffler deletes and resonator deletes on YouTube and I wanted my car to be louder like my previous toy I had which was my mustang (basically straight piped). I should’ve known that it’s hard to mess up a v8 exhaust compared to what I just did to my veloster LOL. Long story short I’m not into the sound of the muff/res delete on this car, I actually can’t stand it, it just sounds cheesy and cheap and kinda cringe. So my BIG question I need help with from somebody is.... has anyone out there on this forum done a custom exhaust to a 2nd gen 1.6t veloster with a universal exhaust or muffler. Personally the exhaust systems I’m seeing that are available are ridiculously over priced, again coming from building a 2011 mustang GT, I could buy an entire exhaust system for the price of a muffler delete for this car, maybe even cheaper.
So if anyone has any recommendations on universal mufflers or exhausts that people have fabbed up let me know please! I’m shooting for the same loudness but a little deeper and more toned note.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If you do not like straight pipe but want loud then do a full 3" turbo back with a straight through muffler or resonator in the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do not like straight pipe but want loud then do a full 3" turbo back with a straight through muffler or resonator in the system.
Appreciate the recommendation, any sort of straight through mufflers you might recommend on the veloster or 4 cylinders in general?

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
i would skip anything ARK makes if you're in a rust state. their products won't last in new england. lots of threads on the other org from people who paid top dollar for their exhaust to fall apart in 3 years.

also i don't think ark makes anything yet except for the N? i'm on their site and can only find 12-17.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Borla, magnaflow, flowmaster, or custom. Likely others out there. Just be sure SS to last.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Magnaflow 10416, or an ark preformance kit is nice.
Yeah from the reviews the magnaflow gets it seems like a relatively cheap option for a deep tone. Wonder how it will sound on the 4 cylinder haha. Btw anyone have good recommendations on aftermarket tips? I got a set off amazon that are burnt and tbh not really diggin it all that much anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your tips will turn black from richness regardless so get black tips to replace the goofy stockers. Got mine for $40 for 2 on ebay (weld on means clamp on lol) If you're not going 3" turbo back catless there's no point in throwing your $$ away esp since the OEM is ss and decent so just get a high flow muffler you can clamp in place of the stocker. A freakin $30 thrush will work if sound is all you care about. Mine is a 2016 but you get the point. I made the mistake of getting an OBX cat back, which sounds great (like a magnaflow) but offers no gains since it's just another 2.5" but I did lose a 🐈 so that's something.
Also big difference between "4cyl" and 4cyl turbo. Forced induction will only gain from unrestricted exhaust whereas your old na v8 needs back pressure.
IMG_20200806_094522688_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your tips will turn black from richness regardless so get black tips to replace the goofy stockers. Got mine for $40 for 2 on ebay (weld on means clamp on lol) If you're not going 3" turbo back catless there's no point in throwing your $$ away esp since the OEM is ss and decent so just get a high flow muffler you can clamp in place of the stocker. A freakin $30 thrush will work if sound is all you care about. Mine is a 2016 but you get the point. I made the mistake of getting an OBX cat back, which sounds great (like a magnaflow) but offers no gains since it's just another 2.5" but I did lose a 🐈 so that's something.
Also big difference between "4cyl" and 4cyl turbo. Forced induction will only gain from unrestricted exhaust whereas your old na v8 needs back pressure.
View attachment 105542
Hey I appreciate the info and your input, yeah see it’s the first car I’ve ever had that’s not a v8 and also first car I’ve had that’s forced induction so needless to say it’s a bit of a learning curve as far as looking into performance and really anything for this car. As far as what I’ve seen I can’t find a 3” turbo back for the 2019, I might be looking in the wrong places for sure so that might be why, I’ve been on socalgarageworks a few times to check some stuff out But haven’t found anything (might also be blind and not seeing em lol). But yeah for right now it’s more Just for sound obviously cause I can’t stand driving a car that doesn’t sound like it’s even on lol besides the little weird engine enhancement option on it.
i think my biggest mistake was probably taking out the resonator tho so I might throw it back in or put a high flow on cause the burbles are cool and all but it just does it sooooo much it sounds like crap lol.
Digging the car btw, black looks sleek for sure makes me wish I got mine in black😆

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Only custom now for 3" exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts