Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it’s just me...when I’m in sport mode in my 2020 Turbo and trying to maintain a speed — say, 45 — about half of the time the car fights with me and won’t run smoothly. No fun to drive when this happens. Things get a little better in smart mode.

Dealer says it’s the engine braking and they see it on other Turbos so...a) I should use sport mode only on the track or b) not feather the gas pedal/learn to drive better (I guess). Whatever it is, they say it’s user error and not covered under warranty.

Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
3,903 Posts
welcome to the forum

Be more detailed if you can to get a better answer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the forum

Be more detailed if you can to get a better answer
OK, what it feels like trying to maintain an even speed in sport mode is frequent engine slowdown, similar to the engine braking you get when you decelerate normally. The difference is this is not during deceleration; it happens when I'm trying to keep an even speed. It's bad enough that I don't want to use sport mode -- not spill-your-coffee jerky but annoying cutouts of power.

To isolate this problem, I used cruise control in all of the modes, and there was no issue.

Back at the dealer, here's what the mechanic said on my repair invoice: "I noticed when the hesitation happens we were slowly moving off of the accelerator pedal. The accelerator pedal is between 1.1, .50 percent. Test drove another vehicle and was also able to duplicate the same concern. Customer is feeling the vehicle engine breaking."

Me again. I have a hard time believing this. I've had several cars with sport modes and never had a problem maintaining a smooth consistent speed. And I'm not "slowing moving off the accelerator pedal." I'm trying to keep it pegged to 40 or 45 or whatever and this happens about half of the time. My guess is no one with a 2019-2020 turbo on this forum would want to drive in sport mode if this were correct.

One Turbo owner said my plugs and coils could have gone bad for some reason. If it is the way these cars work, I'll probably sell mine and get something like a GTI. That's why I'm asking the forum. If this is the way Turbos drive, I'm out. If not, I'd like to keep it and get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maybe you should test drive another vt off the lot to confirm the driving behavior.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
3,903 Posts
This is a DCT car? If so could be the transmission logic causing that. The 16-17 DCT had similar and worse issues than this. Regardless if it's a true issue they will not be able to fix it unless many complaints occur then it will be quite some time after that to find a fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a DCT car? If so could be the transmission logic causing that. The 16-17 DCT had similar and worse issues than this. Regardless if it's a true issue they will not be able to fix it unless many complaints occur then it will be quite some time after that to find a fix.
Yes, it is a DCT, and you're probably right. Since I couldn't replicate the problem on my test drive today, I'll take mine back to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo with Mods
3 Posts
Maybe it’s just me...when I’m in sport mode in my 2020 Turbo and trying to maintain a speed — say, 45 — about half of the time the car fights with me and won’t run smoothly. No fun to drive when this happens. Things get a little better in smart mode.

Dealer says it’s the engine braking and they see it on other Turbos so...a) I should use sport mode only on the track or b) not feather the gas pedal/learn to drive better (I guess). Whatever it is, they say it’s user error and not covered under warranty.

Anybody else have this problem?
Not that uncommon, as even as we try to be with the throttle, the computer notices a fluctuation and thus it "feels" like engine braking because you are in a manual transmission mode. Nothing wrong with the car, mine has been like that from mile 1 day one. I just use cruise when driving any distance at low speeds. I use sport mode 80% of the time because I like the firm shifts and higher revs to take the load off the driveline.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that uncommon, as even as we try to be with the throttle, the computer notices a fluctuation and thus it "feels" like engine braking because you are in a manual transmission mode. Nothing wrong with the car, mine has been like that from mile 1 day one. I just use cruise when driving any distance at low speeds. I use sport mode 80% of the time because I like the firm shifts and higher revs to take the load off the driveline.
Thanks. Good to hear I'm not alone. I'm the same way with sport mode 80% of the time. I'm rethinking how I drive...and what I can put up with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts