Veloster Turbo Forum banner

2200 miles later.. 3 minor things keeping the car from being 'hot hatch' worthy.

11K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  NEVL666 
#1 ·
This morning I hit 2200 miles on the Odometer, dead on when I pulled into work.

I figure this would be a good time to leave another review on the car, including a few minor things Hyundai could do to make this car hang with the big boys of the hot hatch market.

Before we get started, I'd like to reiterate that I have been an advocate of the VTurbo and it NOT being a direct competitor of the GTi, Mini S and others. I don't think that the cars intended purpose was to compete with these vehicles that are thousands more and bred for being track worthy. I think the V was meant to be a very well rounded hatch; combining technology, comfort, use-ability, economy all while being quick and fun to drive. I think Hyundai accomplished this very well.

As stated, I believe there are 4 relatively small factors keeping this car from being all of what it currently is while giving the other hot hatches a run for their money.

Tires - no turbo car should be equipped with the Solus.

The Kumho Solus KH25 is a good tire, if you don't want to routinely push the car to its limits. I actually think people bash on the tires a bit to much as I have taken corners quite quickly before they start to break loose.

The KH25 is also a relatively expensive tire for the size. Of course Hyundai gets them cheaper than us but that also means they would get any other tire cheaper also.

I'm not asking for a Ultra High Performance summer tire that most people would ask for that carries a premium and has sub-par treadwear. I am asking for a High Performance All-Season tire. They could even stick with Kumho (you know since Kumho = Korean)

For around the same cost, if not cheaper, to them they could have thrown a 225/40/18 Kumho 4x on the car. This would still appeal to everyone as it wouldn't need to carry a premium, has a good treadlife, good comfort charactoristics, etc. The Kumho 4x however would be a bit wider which helps handling right from the getgo. This would also help cornering and acceleration (where the VTurbo seems to really look less than adequate in reviews)

This tire (or others similar) would probably drop the 0-60 by a couple tenths and gain a few hundreths on the skidpad. It would also be night and day on the track and mountain roads as far as how far you could push the car before it wants to kill you.

2nd gear a little taller

One of the biggest numbers a tuner and reviewers seem to comment on with a sports oriented vehicle is the 0-60 time.

As far as my 'testing' goes, you can't QUITE get to 60mph in 2nd gear. You can get very close but not there. This causes you to shift and accel before you hit that golden 60mph mark. If second gear was just a tad taller or the motor could rev a little higher you would save a bit of time getting to 60mph.

Of course with 2nd gear a little taller to hit that 60mph mark, the overall acceleration of 2nd gear would be a fraction slower because the ratio but I doubt enough to affect a faster 0-60 time.

A taller 2nd gear combined with better tires would have a significant effect on the reviews of the car and enthusiasts opinion of the car, not to mention the fun factor by these two minor changes.

I think the best tested 0-60 on the VTurbo was a pretty respectable 6.8-6.9 seconds with a 1/4 mile of 15 flat.

With better tires and that slightly taller (more broad) 2nd gear you could reasonably see 0-60 in ~6.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile a tenth or so under 15.

Heavier weighted steering

Before anyone jumps to the 'it is lighter for the sissy drivers' I am not talking about manual style steering, just something a little heavier than the car has.

I think the steering is actually quite good in the car, especially for EPS and Hyundai being somewhat new at it, as well as never really having a car 'tuned' for the track.

If they just weighted the steering a bit more to provide more resistance I think it would be perfect. There has been a couple of times in hard corners/curves at a quick speed where I don't feel as confident because the light feel of the steering turn in.

For most daily driving it is great, but by making it heavier when turning it it would provide a lot more confidence to the driver.

Other little things to bring up the value but no significant cost impact

HID option. Even if it was a 200$ option, I think a lot of people would opt for it in this car. I know there aren't many cars at this price range with HIDs but people like myself and probably most of you would opt for it, even though the option was relatively expensive.

An actual exhaust note. I understand keeping the car somewhat quiet to appeal to everyone and with local/state/federal regulations but this is a turbo sporty car and really needs to have a exhaust note that sets the car off. It doesn't have to be loud like the SRT-4 but just some 'sound' would be nice..

As far as the rest of the review, I am pretty solid in feeling the way I did before when I reviewed the car after a few hundred miles.

Of course the car is a bit more fun and better looking, now that we have the springs, exhaust, SRI, BOV, HIDS, tint, wheels etc. but from a review stand point it hasn't lost much of the OEM feel and style.

You can check out my other review here:

Review part 1

Review Part 2 -3rd post in above thread

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Trust me, changing the tires to good summer only performance tires will improve the steering feel and handling dramatically. But I think it also hurt my mileage a little.

I would pay $800 to $1000 more for an upgrade package containing HID, Climate Control, Strut Bar and Summer Performance Tires.

#3 ·
Good review. I completely agree. It is a little irritating seeing the car compared to the BRZ or FR-S. They are purpose built track cars. What other car can you have fun in and get 38 mpg when you want to. I think Hyundai did an excellent job creating something that gives you the best of both worlds.

#4 ·
Great review,... the points are well stated. I think I said this once before, but I bought the Velo-T to alleviate the money hemorrhage at the pump. If I want speed, roar, and cornering I'll jump in my Z-28... As far as the FR-S, that's the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced. If you're considering that POS, don't fall for the hype; the car is garbage. Especially at the price you pay for that thing after the dealers get done marking it up. I love the look, love the feel behind the wheel, but I refuse to pay that much for a so-called track car that is likely to get it's doors blown off any high school auto-shop mechanic with in a Civic... <VwwV> Given my experience I'll keep my Velo-T over that FR-S... Now once they slap a Turbo in it... hmm I might have to recant...

#5 ·
Nice Ideas, Luckily in Australia ours comes with out any choice of adding the Climate control or the HID as they are standard fitment. We just got confirmation our car will be delivered to us in 6 weeks so counting down the days before I can add my 2 cents on how the tyres react to our roads.

#6 ·
We down under Aussies have benefited from a later release as our suspension and steering have been imporoved based on all reviews I have read and comments by overseas owners.
Yep tyres are ordinary but the way I figure its an excuse to wear them in quicker and replace with a decent set.
I recently chnaged the stock tyres on my previuos Hyundai to a better quality (sort of performance tyre) and apart from much improved grip on cornering, fuel figures improved getting average 50km extra out of a tank. Used to get around 430km to 450km on average and now consistently getting around 480km without nursing.

#8 ·
I completely agree about the tires. Clearly these are the tires they used to get the 38 mpg rating.

I don't agree about 2nd gear. I couldn't care less about some arbitrary measurement. My VT will never see a race track or be timed. I need 2nd to be able to launch the car from a rolling stop and manage stop and go traffic on congested highways. 2nd gear barely does this now and if it was any taller I would have to go down to 1st all the time.

I don't agree about the steering either. Like you, I think it is fine for daily driving and that is my primary concern. I have yet to have any issues when turning in with weight or feedback. I do have a problem with the steering when I've pushed the tires beyond their grip and the turbo kicks in. It abruptly goes from a solid feeling to being very loose and the torque steer takes over. That's a FWD and hard tire issue and not a steering problem.

HID's would be nice but the stock lights work fine for me. If Hyundai had a $200 HID option I would not buy it.

#9 ·
I'd be all up on that $200 HID option.

Hell, if there's a $500 option for adaptive HID, or $1000 options for adaptive Bi-Xenon, I'd be on that as well!!

I drive a lot at night, and there's just no comparison. Have avoided many deers thanks to the BMW Adaptive HID system.

#10 · (Edited)
Tires - no turbo car should be equipped with the Solus.

The Kumho Solus KH25 is a good tire, if you don't want to routinely push the car to its limits. I actually think people bash on the tires a bit to much as I have taken corners quite quickly before they start to break loose.

The KH25 is also a relatively expensive tire for the size. Of course Hyundai gets them cheaper than us but that also means they would get any other tire cheaper also.

I'm not asking for a Ultra High Performance summer tire that most people would ask for that carries a premium and has sub-par treadwear. I am asking for a High Performance All-Season tire. They could even stick with Kumho (you know since Kumho = Korean)

For around the same cost, if not cheaper, to them they could have thrown a 225/40/18 Kumho 4x on the car. This would still appeal to everyone as it wouldn't need to carry a premium, has a good treadlife, good comfort charactoristics, etc. The Kumho 4x however would be a bit wider which helps handling right from the getgo. This would also help cornering and acceleration (where the VTurbo seems to really look less than adequate in reviews)

This tire (or others similar) would probably drop the 0-60 by a couple tenths and gain a few hundreths on the skidpad. It would also be night and day on the track and mountain roads as far as how far you could push the car before it wants to kill you.
I haven't gotten my VT yet, I hope to this coming up income tax season. But one of my main concern with Hyundai in general were their tires. I am a tire tech at Costco so I am biased AND picky with my tires. Earlier I already priced out some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and knew I was going with those as soon as I burn the kumhos out. But today (almost every week I do this lol) I went on Hyundai's website and notices for the VT there is an option for Michelin Super Sports. It's just an extra $1200. Honestly I know its a little more than anywhere else. I know I can get it for a little less. maybe like 200 bucks less. But to start out with isn't bad. I don't know if you have seen any of those YouTube videos where their trying to pill out and they get a lot of wheel hop and the windshield wipers turns on and what nots. I guarantee with the Michelin there will be no wheel hop and it will handle way better. plus the mileage warranty is 30k. not bad for top of the line sport tires. On the Hyundai website under detail on that option it says it improves the lateral grip from .82 to .94. I am no scientific sport tuner engineer but I think thats good. not 100% sure if that is a great improvement or what. But either way I am excited they are offering that tire. I have seen other cars coming out wiht Michelin from the factory.

For Michelin Pilot Super Sports I can get 215/40R18 89Y XL installed and everything at costco for $1209.04 ($1133.26 with sale)
Or I can get 225/40R18 92Y XL installed for $1001.20 ($925.42 with sale)

#13 ·
I would guess that they are not getting a heafty discount on the Michelins. The Kumho is Korean. The Michelin's are priced pretty much the same as what you can buy in aftermarket, so if youre not wanting to spend the $1200 to have the dealer install and cover the rotations and balancing, purchase them at another shop and hold on to your KH25s for a rainy day.

#12 ·
The summer tire option confused me. $1,200 means $1,800 when you consider the cost of the stock tires. This isn't an M3 or 911, it doesn't need $1,800 tires.

It just needs some softer tires.

I plan on buying some $600 softer tires in about a year - but not $1,200 gumballs.

#20 ·
Yeah, that is something I really don't get. The Ecstas or something would have been perfect. These Solus don't make sense on this car for what it strives to be.

And as far as the Michelins are concerned the $1800 option does not surprise me. They came stock on my Acura and first off, I hated em, and second off they were twice to cost of almost anythign else I could replace them with when it was time for new ruber.

#18 ·
As posted previously Australian Velosters are different thanks to additional steering and suspension tuning done by Rick Bates. We get a quicker steering rack and less power assistance for heavier steering, and firmer springs and dampers. My Veloster Turbo has much heavier steering than my previous Astra Sri, which was a typical German hot hatch. My Turbo came with Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tyres which I read a test on, and they rated quite well for dry weather grip but not as good for wet weather cornering. I agree with the dry weather grip assessment as they have similar levels of grip to the Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres I had on the Astra, but I managed to get the Veloster sideways the first time I tried some agressive driving in the wet. I was impressed that Hyundai have set up a front wheel drive to naturally oversteer, similar to European hatches. I will leave the tyres as they do offer good grip with low noise, and wet weather performance isn't much of an issue where I live because it doesn't rain that often. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the pick of performance tyres but are terribly, terribly expensive and there are better value performance tyres around if you do your research. The Continentals I had on the Astra out-perform the Michelin in some areas but wear fast, so are not good value. Auto Motor Und Sport did a comparison tyre test in 2010 and came up with Michelin first, Continental Sport 3 a close second and Hankook Ventus Evo12 a close third; and the Ventus Evo directional tyre could be an option for those wanting to upgrade their rubber. Although they are the same company, Hankook tyres are better than Kumho. This probably why the Ventus Primes my car came with are quite acceptable.

The Veloster Turbo produces 87db at 4,500rpm no-load, which is 2db under the Australian Design Rules limit (89db). It is close to the limit for a new car although if an after-market exhaust is fitted you can go up to 5db over the ADR limit (94db). My Triumph Bonneville 900 was also 87db, but I fixed that and it is now 97db which is roadworthy for a motorcycle (94db for motorcycle ADR + 5db allowance), and more than loud enough. I wouldn't mind if the Veloster had a bit of a note, but unlike the motorcycle where significant power gains can be had (the Bonneville's power was upped from 50kw to 55kw just by changing the silencers), car exhausts are basically inefficient and after-market exhaust power gains are minimal, and certainly not the 10% you would expect from a motorcycle. The 87db of the Veloster is much louder than equivalent cars (Volkswagen Golf GTI 81db, Opel Astra GTC 76db).

#21 ·
The Veloster Turbo produces 87db at 4,500rpm no-load, which is 2db under the Australian Design Rules limit (89db). It is close to the limit for a new car although if an after-market exhaust is fitted you can go up to 5db over the ADR limit (94db). My Triumph Bonneville 900 was also 87db, but I fixed that and it is now 97db which is roadworthy for a motorcycle (94db for motorcycle ADR + 5db allowance), and more than loud enough. I wouldn't mind if the Veloster had a bit of a note, but unlike the motorcycle where significant power gains can be had (the Bonneville's power was upped from 50kw to 55kw just by changing the silencers), car exhausts are basically inefficient and after-market exhaust power gains are minimal, and certainly not the 10% you would expect from a motorcycle. The 87db of the Veloster is much louder than equivalent cars (Volkswagen Golf GTI 81db, Opel Astra GTC 76db).

Wait wait wait. So not only did you guys get a substantially improved suspension and tire set up, but you have an audible exhaust note too?

WTF HYUNDAI!!! Y YOU NO GIVE AMERICANS COOL STUFF?

#22 ·
87db is quiet (my motorcycle at 87db sounded like a washing machine, with the loudest noise being the whine of the straight-cut primary drive gears). My Veloster now has a Jun B.L EVC exhaust and it sounds like a car. The Australian roadworthy limit I posted is 94db at 4,500 and I guess that my car would be close to that now (with a deep, throaty tone under load, but roadworthy tests are done with no load). The EVC exhaust is adjustable so I can make it stock-quiet by flicking a switch, so I won't have any legal problems with this exhaust. Also, when I sell the car and the next buyer doesn't like it noisy, just flick the switch. I don't know why the GTI and the Astra GTC are so quiet, but when running hard they would sound like nothing at all.

I would be quite sure that the American Veloster Turbo is also 87db. Therefore, if you fitted an after-market exhaust or muffler you would need to be careful you don't make the car unroadworthy. Or fit an EVC (it does have a nice note and it is beautifully finished, but it is expensive).

#29 ·
I can get 38 mpg if I follow the shift instructions on the dash and keep it under 65 mph.

But I don't do that. I didn't buy a Prius, I bought a VT.

I get about 24 mpg average and I drive my VT as hard as I can. The highways here on my commute average 85 mph and 100 mph is not out of the ordinary. Every on-ramp is an opportunity to air it out and hit 85 mph in 4th - or even 3rd. Often I charge up through the gears just to feel it pull and then leave it in a low gear just so I can feel it pull again in traffic. The last car I had that can pull like the VT got 10-12 mpg - so when I refill the VT and see that I got 24 mpg I'm quite impressed.

#30 ·
My 38 mpg was only once just to test out the fuel economy. I typically average about 27 mpg city/hwy, which is a lot better than the 17-18 in my old car. There's so much traffic and red lights in Florida it kind of kills the mpg but on the highway it's nice to get on it. I've done 100 mph in 4th getting onto I-75 and I've hit 140 mph at night in the middle of nowhere :)

Reactions: 13EliteVT
#32 ·
Damn! Where in Florida. I'm from Fort Myers and even now when I visit I can't hit speeds like that because of cops. But a few years back I did make the trip to Miami from Fort Myers (via alligator alley) doing 140 in my GTI. That's the only place I've ever been able to get speeds that high.

Back on track with the thread now.....

I've noticed all of this as well socks. I am about to hit 1800 miles and I've only had her for a day over 3 weeks. While I can't stop driving her, there are a few small improvements I'd like to see. I'm good with the tires though. They seem to handle fairly well around some S turns I have here where I take them at 70-80 and they are rated at 45. Roll is minimum and she feels awesome. Minor torque steer as previously mentioned at times but not serious. I'll update the tires when they show severe wearing but ill stay with these Solus jokers for now.

2nd gear.....wholeheartedly agree brother. I'd like to see a little improvement there but only if it doesn't sacrifice a whole lot.

My best friend just picked up a new Ford ST and we haven't run each other yet but plan to once he breaks it in. I'll certainly post up with the outcome. I don't think I'll even match up closely with him but it will be fun nonetheless. Lol. I'm seeing they were kind of built for tracking more than anything as they don't have a nav option or even satellite radio option. Fairly basic inside but a decent bi of pep so we shall see how the ole VT I have named "Gringa" performs next to it.

#31 ·
Thank you for the review. Just got to the 1k km and came to almost all of your conclusions. At least we are able to amend the issues and get an excellent fun car. Note on the HID, while replacing the OEM lights to HID we found that the left lamp starts and after few seconds stop working. It happend also in other VT's. Apperently there is a computer incharge on the lights and when there is a serge of power it does something that prevents the light from working. We bypassed it by connecting the left light directly to the battery with a transmitter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.