Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change at 2900 miles. It took me 2 friggin hours. The filter was on super tight and was too big for my strap-type filter wrench. I had to take off the the plastic undercarriage cover which has has a lot of screws and fasteners so I could get my channel lock style filter wrench on it - which I couldn't get to work either, but my husband got it. I let him have a go before I stabbed the thing through with a long screw driver. Anyway, now I need a new type of oil filter wrench, I guess.

Anyone out there know if this will work on a 2019 VT?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMUM1OG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the car on ramps, but it was still a very tight squeeze working under the car which made everything more difficult.

Can I replace the drain plug with one of these? Is this the right size? Anybody tried it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMXAUWC/?coliid=IL0ITNJUL50IX&colid=QSUTONY162IF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any tips to get this down to a more reasonable .5 hour?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The first oil change can be a pain due to the filter being on tight. After the first filter change you should be able to remove them after that by hand. The proper tools for the job make things much easier. Working smarter not harder is the idea. Do some searching here and you will find some answers. Do not worry about the time it takes to do the oil change. Focus more on doing it correctly and using the proper oil, filter, and change intervals.....

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
i've had great luck in the past with the fumoto oil drain valves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those adjustable filter wrenches are infuriating. Never have found a job were it would work. The filter cap wrench is the best way to go. I took my filter up to the autoparts store and tested each one until I found one that fit. I have never seen someone use a drain valve before.

On my VT, the oil filter leaks oil unless I tighten it up with a wrench. Hand tightening doesn't get it tight enough. Anyone else experience that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those adjustable filter wrenches are infuriating. Never have found a job were it would work. The filter cap wrench is the best way to go. I took my filter up to the autoparts store and tested each one until I found one that fit. I have never seen someone use a drain valve before.

On my VT, the oil filter leaks oil unless I tighten it up with a wrench. Hand tightening doesn't get it tight enough. Anyone else experience that?
Which kind of adjustable oil wrenches are you talking about? These?
https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-Removes-Filters-Ranging-Diameter/dp/B071JJ97NS/ref=sr_1_51_sspa?keywords=oil+filter+wrench&qid=1555627317&s=gateway&sr=8-51-spons&psc=1

This one is my favorite, but I can't use it on the 19 VT with the bottom plastic shield on. This is what got it off yesterday. I did use it to tighten a bit (my hands are pretty weak so I know I can't get it sufficiently tight by hand)
https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-inch-Filter-Wrench-Pliers/dp/B073C1SXZP/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=oil+filter+wrench&qid=1555627317&s=gateway&sr=8-22

I got down and dabbed at the plug and filter with a clean paper towel - no leaks. Ready for my weekend road trip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me too

I've had both problems described in this thread - my 1st change (used car), the filter was cemented on. I had the wrap around filter wrench and the cap type but neither would grab it. It is made worse by the awkward angle to access the filter. I had my car on one jack stand and i gave up pretty quickly trying to find all the screws for the stupid plastic shield that makes access to the filter difficult. I decided against getting a full size splitter because it would have to be removed every time i changed the oil. I ended up buying a SureBilt Oil Filter Wrench from Autozone that spikes the filter in order to get it off.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/surebilt-2-1-2-in-to-4-5-8-in-oil-filter-pliers/141500_0_0

I tightened it as much as I could by hand, which is the way I've done all my cars, and it started leaking in my driveway so I've since had to tighten it. The K &N filters have a place to wrench off the filter on the bottom so that makes them much easier to loosen:

performance_gold-th.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you cleaning the oil filter flange on the engine, and applying a thin film of fresh oil to the filter seal?

I have done the last several on my girls VT and it NEVER leaks, and i do not crank em beyond what i can do by hand, as if its a clean surface you never need to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did my second oil change yesterday (odo = 6200 mi) and here are some further thoughts...

I completed this oil change without removing the plastic undercarriage cover. A lot of oil wound up on the cover. I would not be surprised if there are small puddles of oil on the cover going further back than I could reach/wipe with a rag.

To avoid oil traveling back along the engine and dripping onto the cover, one would have to install one of those
drain plug replacement valves and punch a hole (like with a nail) in the bottom of the oil filter to drain before screwing off. That is the only solution that I can come up with.

I forgot to mention that I overfilled the oil by at least half a quart on my first oil change. This time I was much more careful. I checked the dipstick after putting in 2.5 quarts. The level was a little above the "LOW" indication on the dipstick. The engine was full with 3-3.25 quarts.

Lesson: It seems that the the amount of oil that is needed to bring the oil level from 'low' to 'full' on the dipstick is less than 1 quart - which is odd.

Lesson: Shorter oil change intervals are essential on this car since you can't remove 1.5 quarts of the dirty oil in there.

I got the cap type filter removal tool I linked in the first post (diameter=80mm + 15 flutes). It fits the OEM filter perfectly. The square hole that the ratchet attaches to is too short, so you will not be able to get cap on the filter with the ratchet pushed all the way in. Just push the cap squarely on the filter and then attach the ratchet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you changing the oil on completely level ground? I'm a bit lost on how you're not able to get all of the oil out of it. I'm at 5800 miles and done 3 changes on it, and 3 changes on my wife's 2018 Kona, and I haven't had issues with taking the full capacity of the change or not draining all of it.

I back them up a driveway at a slightly angle, and then level them off when I jack up the front end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st oil change: Sloped driveway with rear on the higher end of the incline, front on ramps.
2nd oil change: On rented lift in shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
lil_buddy
Veloster Turbo Forum
This is the Veloster Turbo forum where you can learn all the tips and mods to make your Hyundai Veloster Turbo faster and talk about the new Veloster N!
Full Forum Listing