Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate Chrome, so the first thing I wanted to do when I got my VT was either paint or replace the rim inserts. I have used 3m Di-noc in the past and loved it. I had some left over from some interior project and figured it was worth it because this stuff is easy to work with and comes off pretty easy.

So first off I would definitely recommend a heat gun, it makes the application of the Di-noc really easy and forgiving.
Vehicle Machine Tool Power tool Car
This is the heat gun i have, Its a cheap one from harbor freight, and works great. Don't ask me why its called a drill master.

The first thing I did was remove the tire and figure out how to remove the inserts.
Alloy wheel Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel Auto part Rim Tire Auto part Wheel Disc brake Rim Locking hubs
Each "Fin" is attached with 3 screws for a total of 15 screws. The center cap is attached with a clip that is pretty easy to figure out.

On a side note while your wheels are off I took advantage and cleaned my wheels pretty well.
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part

Then I used some left over prep spray to clean the inserts. This probably is not very necessary but it cant hurt.
Drink Liqueur Alcoholic beverage Alcohol Bottle Knife Dagger Throwing knife Melee weapon Cold weapon

The rest is pretty simple to follow, and my biggest suggestion is buy extra di-noc because the more you use it and get used to the material the easier it becomes. Cut out rough pieces that will cover the inserts then heat and stretch the di-noc over the inserts. The di-noc is pretty forgiving so you can heat and re apply it multiple times if you have creases or bubbles.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Aircraft carrier Vehicle Musical instrument Metal Plucked string instruments Glove Sportswear

·
Registered
375 Posts
wow that looks great man. thanks for sharing. i have thought about doing something similar to mine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Was going to do mine flat black. Now I'm not so sure.

Yours look great!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I tried the best i could, I kept each insert lined up on the di-noc sheets, but the center cap dosnt exactly match up but its really hard to tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Really nice! After the heat gun, trim with a razor? How did you remove the center cap? I'm afraid I'm going to snap off the tabs.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
loooks VERY nice.. great job!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yea I tried the best i could, I kept each insert lined up on the di-noc sheets, but the center cap dosnt exactly match up but its really hard to tell.
I like that it doesn't line up, wouldn't look natural if it did! I would like to do mine in white.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dear OP...come to Halifax and do mine please. lol

Looks amazing!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you share info about roughly how much di-noc you needed to complete the job?

Im looking to order matte grey to match the paint =)
and I get my car tomorrow

1 - 20 of 26 Posts