Veloster Turbo Forum banner

3m Di-noc Carbon Fiber Wrap on Rim Inserts

11K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  stevesleeve 
#1 · (Edited)
I hate Chrome, so the first thing I wanted to do when I got my VT was either paint or replace the rim inserts. I have used 3m Di-noc in the past and loved it. I had some left over from some interior project and figured it was worth it because this stuff is easy to work with and comes off pretty easy.

So first off I would definitely recommend a heat gun, it makes the application of the Di-noc really easy and forgiving.
Vehicle Machine Tool Power tool Car

This is the heat gun i have, Its a cheap one from harbor freight, and works great. Don't ask me why its called a drill master.

The first thing I did was remove the tire and figure out how to remove the inserts.
Alloy wheel Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle
Alloy wheel Wheel Auto part Rim Tire
Auto part Wheel Disc brake Rim Locking hubs

Each "Fin" is attached with 3 screws for a total of 15 screws. The center cap is attached with a clip that is pretty easy to figure out.

On a side note while your wheels are off I took advantage and cleaned my wheels pretty well.
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part

Then I used some left over prep spray to clean the inserts. This probably is not very necessary but it cant hurt.
Drink Liqueur Alcoholic beverage Alcohol Bottle
Knife Dagger Throwing knife Melee weapon Cold weapon

The rest is pretty simple to follow, and my biggest suggestion is buy extra di-noc because the more you use it and get used to the material the easier it becomes. Cut out rough pieces that will cover the inserts then heat and stretch the di-noc over the inserts. The di-noc is pretty forgiving so you can heat and re apply it multiple times if you have creases or bubbles.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle
Aircraft carrier Vehicle Musical instrument Metal Plucked string instruments
Glove Sportswear

See less See more
#17 ·
Dear OP...come to Halifax and do mine please. lol

Looks amazing!

#24 ·
I am totally impressed with this concept and how good it looks. I also abhor chrome and this looks like a perfect solution. Fortunately I will have most of the winter to make this transformation. My black alloys with Blizzaks come tomorrow and by the end of November I hope to finally have my Vitamin C turbo with said winter setup. I will let you all know how the turbo manual does in the snow.

I too would like to know about how much Di-noc was required to so the inserts. Thanks for the great write-up and pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.