Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I heard a loud pop in my exhaust, specially at the time I though it was in the catalytic converter since then my car make a a lot more gurgle on deceleration and sometimes a low pop as well as the sputtering in 4th gear... I thought maybe it was clogged or worse the honeycomb material might’ve broken down... so I took a look but didn’t see anything from the back of the car ( I only saw what was on the side of the resonator) regardless I got some cats clean to see if it would fix my problem... car runs better now however I still have the sputtering... I thought okay maybe a spark plug? So I replaced them with the OEM NGK plugs straight from a Hyundai dealership...again car runs even better BUT STILL SPUTTERING IN 4TH... I have no idea what it might be and I don’t wanna have to pay to get my car inspected, people are charging $100 alone JUST FOR THE INSPECTION, unbelievable.... please someone help and let me know what it could be!

I’ve done a few mods so far:
K&N cold air intake
ISR catback exhaust (no muffler)
A racechip piggy back

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
3,904 Posts
Year model, miles on coils, coil part number, plug part number, plug gap, fuel octane used, codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2015 DCT, I got the car at 38k miles one now at 57k so I don’t think the coils have ever been replaced they still look pretty new... not sure about the part number for that...spark plug NGK SILZKR6D8E, haven’t checked the plug gap but I’m pretty sure they’re pre gapped, I’d have to look to see, I’ve been using 89 octane but switched to 91 octane after the incident... I had a check engine light when I was replacing the plugs but then I just switched them around and it went away, I then replaced the plugs entirely and still no check engine or codes that I’m aware of

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Need new coils as preventative maintenance now and better plugs than what you have and gap them properly. This may resolve the issue if plug or coil related as it could be. I can get those for you at a better price than the dealer. You have to gap them though.

You could be having a fuel line issue. Common in these cars. That can be easily diagnosed if you can datalog the car with an obd2 reader. This is a very likely issue if it does this under heavy throttle and no codes are showing up for misfires.

Only run 91+ octane fuel in the car.

Sell the piggyback. None of them are safe for the car. Tune from a good tuner or nothing.

15 VT is 6 speed auto or manual. No DCT until 16+ MY

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Qwik Tyme Performance or SXTH element engineering

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went ahead and touched the spark plugs, I re tightened them, I don’t feel it in 4th but now I feel it in 6th...first I re tightened the first 3 plugs, still had it in 4th, then I re tightened the 4th plug and now I feel it in 6th instead of 4th... I hand tightened then tightened with a wrench about 15% of the way... I did it this way with all the plugs... thoughts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also I believe you should torque the plugs between 18-21 ft-lbs and the coil bolt shouldn’t be to tight around 8 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
^^^^^Actually half of what he said is more realistic^^^^^

3-4 ft lbs on m6 bolts and 10-12 ft lbs on plugs.

You do need to read over and follow my suggestions or have me fix the car for you if close by.

·
Registered
93 Posts
^^^^^Actually half of what he said is more realistic^^^^^

3-4 ft lbs on m6 bolts and 10-12 ft lbs on plugs.

You do need to read over and follow my suggestions or have me fix the car for you if close by.
I’ve read in so many different discussions and they all have a different spec. Doesn’t the Hyundai manual suggest 21 ft-lbs for the plugs? Will it effect the performance of the product if they are off a little? Mine are set at 21lbs. Remember I have the same problem as him. If that could cause the problem I might want to lessen the ft-lbs. I just put the new coils in yesterday so I haven’t had a chance to really drive the car and see if that solved my problem.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
From the FSM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it looks like my problem has been fixed, looks like all it was was the torque specs on the plugs, I used the ones trdtoy mentioned and it seems my problem went away, I kinda figured that was the problem...so if anyone recently hears a loud pop and feel hesitation check your plugs!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like its time for me to change out some plugs and coils. TRD, what's the word on where to get coils at?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts