Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I couldn't tell you what tolorences your 5.7 has as I didn't build it, so I couldn't recommend an oil for it either as I have no idea what is done to that motor.. but if your running a 20 oil I would think .001.-.002 max. But it also depends on what is run by oil pressures in that motor which I admit I don't know that motor. But what I do know is the 1.6 gdi turbo. I built this with my hands, measured the tolorences, ordered bearings, etc based on what I know. I built and upgraded the turbo myself and knowing the clearance on the shaft I can say with complete positivity this thing needed a 40 oil.. 5w 0w doesn't matter in my neck of the woods.

I built this motor with .002 across the board which I could run a 30 or 40. But because of the turbo itself I went with 40. My oil pressures at idle are about 15-20 psi and 60psi under load. Motor is still on break in oil which is Motul 10w40 mineral oil (some based on books and publications would not use this oil) I have Motul 300v 5w 40 sitting her ready to go in. Oils will be tested with new samples of each and used samples for comparison.. this motor will be torn down at the end of the season to see what wear issues I may have. Oil temps are 180-202 max which is perfect and no need for a cooler or added oil volumes. Which tells me everything is perfect.

My recommendations for this OP and hundreds of others in this car has always been a 5w40 based on what I've found with this motor. I don't really care about all the publications out as I know what works with this car. Other cars I'm less opinionated as I don't have the technical info on those platforms.

My gripe I guess in this thread is dropping a 0w-20 bomb on a new user which we both agree would not be used on this platform unless it was rebuilt as a tight .001 motor (for this motor). Which is why I jumped on it.

Now if this motor was Built with .001 clearances you could use a 0w20 oil which will allow you to squeeze every bit of power out of it with good protection for the reason you stated. That I agree.. in this case I would not recommend a 5w40 either.. but then the other variable is the turbo, also depends on what type of turbo used.. all things that need to be taken acct of. When everyone was running hard on 30 oils we did see a lot more blown and seized turbos.. we see a lot less now days. There was no update on these K03 turbos.. our still use a single feed bearing. Dual feed like the k03/k04 are more common and have less issues.. so this is why if a manufacture recommends something such as oil try not to sway to far off. These are all things to consider. Now if it's a NA car all this changes a bit.. I'm sure you know this but maybe someone else reading this does not

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
You can't just run any 0W-20, of course, it has to be true full synthetic. As long as the oil doesn't break down quickly, as long as oil pressure is 75 PSI at 7000 RPM, as long as wear is minimized, as long as oil gets up to operating temperature as quickly as possible, as long as fuel dilution is kept in check, the grade really doesn't matter.

That's what 540RAT and the BITOG Engine Oil 101 article say. Ultimately it's about anti-wear durability via boundary lubrication, minimizing windage and fuel dilution.

The V10 in the M5/M6 is legendary for using 10W-50 per OEM spec and constantly having worn bearing issues. Root cause? Tolerances too tight for the OEM spec oil grade. I ran PUP 0W-40 in my M6 so I wouldn't have to worry about that issue.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Future engines and eco regulations are going to mandate use of grades such as 0W-16 and thinner. Look at GF-6.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use Motul 8100 x-cess 5w40 on my '13 and it hasn't blown up (yet), nuff said.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To avoid confusion, panic and distress just simply read your owner's manual.
You know they spent $$$ on R&D, if Hyundai or whatever manufacturer says 5w-30 then stick to 5w-30 (unless you live on a crucial environment [freezing or hell temps]) . Though recently Hyundai updated the rating to 5w-40 for T-GDI engines if I am not mistaken.

I've only used 5w-20 on a 2009 Ford Focus because that's what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wrong thread

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guys can anybody link me to the bulletin Hyundai sent out about them recommending 5w40 over 5w30? I searched but can't find it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is this what most of you guys are running now? Found a good deal on some Castrol Edge 5w-40 and have heard great things about it.
Has anyone noticed the Hyundai Rally Team uses Shell gasoline ; that Shell is the official sponsor; and...., that they use a 'Shell Helix' oil? Is this available in the US?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I only use Shell V-Power 98RON fuel here in Australia. As for oil the Shell Ultra Helix is pretty good stuff, it's derived from Natural Gas.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hands down, the best performing oil ever...

Indonesia-Slide-2.jpg

I don't think the average consumer is going to argue over the overkill stuff.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Hands down, the best performing oil ever...

View attachment 79257

I don't think the average consumer is going to argue over the overkill stuff.
Maybe for well lubricated hand jobs :wink:

I use 5w30 .. it's in the owners manual and printed on the filler cap, 'nuff said

·
Registered
155 Posts
5w30 is on my cap as well, though I know that a manufacturer can change that later. Should I be using 5w40 instead of 5w30?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Guys can anybody link me to the bulletin Hyundai sent out about them recommending 5w40 over 5w30? I searched but can't find it
old stuff, but posting for reference ;)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts