Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down a flat highway at 120km/2800rpm is this what you are getting? Just seems like a high rpm for a six speed. Mind you not being a gear head and understanding the gear ratio this could be normal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Driving down a flat highway at 120km/2800rpm is this what you are getting? Just seems like a high rpm for a six speed. Mind you not being a gear head and understanding the gear ratio this could be normal.
The turbo has to breathe. Will try to test this on my A/T if I get a chance.

My old 2005 Accent A/T (3 speed + OD) did some 3100 rpm while driving 140km/h down the highway and the VT does much better than the 81 Monte Carlo Turbo I used to take the driving test back in 1988 :)

·
2,385 Posts
"I" find it odd that first gear gets up into shifting rpm range SO freakin' quickly! I'm not used to how quickly I end up in 4t and even 5th gear when I try to drive "conservatively" in a 50mph zone. Am I just being a retard and let it idle around 3k anyways?
It should also come with lower end torque, I wish. Feels like it has almost 0 pull in 1st gear....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually like the gear ratio for limiting speed. 3rd for 50km and 4th for 60km, easier on the pocket book. Freakin speed cameras every where now :smile:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't like that too. Seems from a dead stop, after about ten feet of travel you gotta shift or your RPM's are screaming... not so reassuring when your trying to turn to a fast and busy highway.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hyundai says they drew inspiration for the veloster from motorcycles, too bad they weren't inspired by the gearing. Some bikes get to 60 mph in first

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hyundai says they drew inspiration for the veloster from motorcycles, too bad they weren't inspired by the gearing. Some bikes get to 60 mph in first
umm, if the VT did 60 mph in 1st it would be slower than a Prius... you would have to have a lot more HP and TQ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love that about bikes. Although, after revving it out in first gear, you have to up shift 5 time because you are already at cruising speed. I test drove my grandad's new Mercedes SL550 and it can do the same thing almost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts