Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the posts on doing the 60MM throttle body mod. I went out the other day and picked up one from a 13 Elantra. I know I have to tap a barb onto the top of it. My question is and I want to double check before I pick up the drill bits and tap is do I have to pick up a 1/4" drill bit and than a 3/8" drill bit and than a 1/8" NPT tap??
The instructions say to pick up a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" hose barb. Am I missing anything??

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
You need a 1/8"-27 NPT tap, 5/16" barb with the same thread, and a drill bit for the tap size which is not what you mentioned. Since these crack easily I'd suggest get a TB spacer setup for this already or have someone who has done this before do the drill n tap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I picked up what you said. I would have gotten a tb spacer but I just purchased the MAP distribution block to hook up my boost gauge. Would it be to far to run the hose thats on top of the TB that goes to the fuel pressure regulator to the distribution block instead of having to tap the TB?? makes me want to do an experiment.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
No you cant go that route. Better to buy the ported TB spacer setup for this as it will do all you need it for. You'll also need a coolant bypass of some sort be it a fitting and clamps or a line and clamps.

Ask questions here before just buying things and we can save you time and $.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know how to do the coolant bypass. I used to do it to all my previous cars. I made the decision on buying the MAP dist block before I decided to do the TB swap. So I guess I will drill and tap the new TB. I'll just take my time on doing it. fingers crossed

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
It’ll be fine. Easier than you think!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Now I have to wait till the hurricane blows by and than I can install it along with my Injen SRI and lowering springs. Hope fully Fedex will be on time. Its like xmas all over again. except there's physical work to be done.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
nice work!

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
357 Posts
I did mi e different after hearing all the tales of cracking the inlet.
I did drill a 5/16 hole but instead of tapping I cut a piece of 5/16 brake hardline tubing, flared the end and pressed it into the hole I drilled.
It was tight so I know it doesn't leak and the flare on the end is perfect to hold the hose into the end. 😜😉

Old school still works. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️😎

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that the TB is in I need to make a new cold pipe or charge pipe going from the TB to the intercooler. is there anyone out there makes one for upgraded TBs?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
You can stretch the OEM over but can be a pain to do. Or get cold pipe from Qwik Tyme Performance on FB. 3D printed cold pipe with water/meth injection bung printed into it if you go that route later to not need a ported TB spacer. They've been tested to 180°F+ IAT, 26+ PSI, and 100% methanol no issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
Anyone have the STL? Lol

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
STL?

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
The print file for my
Makerbot lolol

·
Registered
2016 VT M/T
16 Posts
Now that the TB is in I need to make a new cold pipe or charge pipe going from the TB to the intercooler. is there anyone out there makes one for upgraded TBs?
Spray silicon lubricant (~$1.94 at Walmart) in the inlet boot and or throttle body lip for easier install. The first time I did the 60mm mod, I went in dry. Lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
i spit on it lol

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Little oil from the dipstick also works. Install on the TB before installing also helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts