1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is my unbiased review of the intercooler kit from Kyle at 845

New vs old..
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's the story. I Recently swapped a turbosocks intercooler for a 845 Motorsports intercooler. Wow what a different. First off hot and cold pipes are beside each other on first one why ? Went looking into the hot and cold side there is a baffle but air can still go by the baffle, so basically air can travel past the baffle without being cooled. New intercooler has the cold on one side and the hot on the other, this makes sense. Air is now actual cooling. Installation overall was not that hard. Bumper comes off to access the intercooler. Kit was well put together. Old intercooler bolts on to bumper support. Kinda sloppy . New one actual lines up with the horn bracket and lower rad support bolt hole . Intake tubing was very start forward . Hot side from cooler to the turbo was not to bad to install, had to cut a piece of rad support off (tiny spot) to allow the hot pipe to clear the a/c compressor. Also had to cut a piece of inner fender to allow the pipe to clear i (clearly explained in the instructions). Under car the pipe lined up, shims/washers and longer bolt were used to give enough clearance for the hot pipe to clear the oil filter adapter and transmission bell housing. Which was no big deal. All clamp and rubber elbows were included. As far as power, what a difference between old and new. Pick up is incredible and engine has no problem finding power in any rpm. All in all the intercooler swap was worth it hands down. Next step turbo upgrade for me sorry no dyno numbers but well worth the money. Also Kyle has helped me with every little thing so far and has no problem just helping with support even if it is not his product. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any stats on IAT to show the differences?

Any #'s to show support for the improvements (dyno, Torque app screen cap) or just based on your seat of the pants opinion?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any stats on IAT to show the differences?

Any #'s to show support for the improvements (dyno, Torque app screen cap) or just based on your seat of the pants opinion?
Interested in the #s too. I like the 845 one but I also like how the turbosocks intercooler sits on the piercemotorsports tubular crash bar and how it doesn't need to cut things out to make it fit even though 845 is more efficient I would assume

·
Registered
44 Posts
that first kit was definetly not working. the endtank design was not spliting the fmic up to force the inlet to travel across, up/down and back across to exit. a significant increase in IAT's i bet were happening. fail. more pics please.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree Kyle has been an awesome help. He almost always emails me right away whenever I have questions. The other...not so much maybe days before a reply.... Defiantly 845 guy...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got a amazing deal on a used ts fmic maybe once I save up enough money I will get the 845 but first is a tune then the 845 fmic since they have ALL the piping included and not using the stock hot pipe

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Did not realize 845 fmic had all piping included.....
Thought you had to purchase separate.....
Not very clear on that on the website.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am excited to install mine too as i just ordered the FMIC from 845 last week.:wink:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah if I knew all the piping was included in would have bought the 845 fmic

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you're getting tuned, then get the FMIC BEFORE the tune. You want to cool that intake air prior to the tune so you're not Sr aping pennies together when she detonate and throws a rod out of the block.

I know, a bit crass and end of the spectrum. But IMHO, you should invest in that 845 intercooler before putting the tune in.

You having your factory ECM flashed or getting a spare?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got torque pro and my temp number are low so maybe I got a different fmic so tune then fmic for me

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
So, what are the intake Temps with the 845? My turbosocks fmic stayed at 30 degrees above ambient temp at 80 mph.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Going 80 mph isn't the question. What are the temps when going 40 or less or in traffic? Granted, no matter the FMIC, you're going to raise the IATs in traffic. But I'd be willing to bet you are getting at least 60-70 above with the TS.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts