Veloster Turbo Forum banner

A great wax

8K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  AxisYellow@socalgarageworks 
#1 ·
Just want to share a secret I've been using for years and that's Collinite Wax. This stuff is great! It runs about nine bucks a tin it's. 100% Carnauba and it lasts a long time. Heck using regular dish soap on your car will not take this stuff off. This wax goes on easy and buffs out easy as well. I have tried everything else on the market and I have not found its equal yet. So if you are looking for a great wax, go with Collinite. It also works great on glass and chrome too.

#2 ·
If I'm not mistaken, 100% carnauba typically doesn't last as long as a synthetic blend.. Maybe I'm wrong..

#4 ·
#10 ·
This is probably going to come across sounding kinda rude, but you can do some research online.... 100% carnuba is hard as a rock. All manufacturer's cut them with softeners and other waxes so that you can actually apply it to your vehicle. Most over-the-counter waxes (Meguiar's, Mother's, Turtle) are all pretty much the same. Carnuba wax is made to protect your paint... not make it shine. You will probably notice more of a shine after waxing, but that's because of all of the filler's that are covering up your swirls in the paint.... thus giving you a deeper look in the paint. After a couple of washes (depending on the soap that you use) those filler's get washed away. If you really want your paint to shine all the time, you need to polish it first. And to maintain that shine, you must wash your vehicle correctly, and use better soaps as well.

I apologize if I'm coming across as a know-it-all, and I'm definitely not any kind of professional. But I have done a TON of reading and research on stuff like this, and after spending hundreds of dollars on products that claim to give you the best shine. I hate to see other people throwing money away (as I did) on products that aren't really needed.

The proof is in the pudding.... There is no wax on the car in this pic

I took this picture with a 3 year old point and shoot camera with absolutely no digital enhancements or adjustments.

#11 ·
No matter what i do mine is just a dull grey.......

#16 ·
The only way to prevent fingerprints is latex gloves and you in a chair next to it with a shotgun

#21 ·
10 bucks a can for collinite, you can even wash your car with Dawn Dish Liquid and it will not peel it off.

#22 ·
I've gotten into detailing over the past 5-6 years and after trying serveral products from multiple companies (pinnacle/meguiars/griots/menzerna/ etc ) and layering them, this is the combo i've found has given the best gloss / finish / depth.

After a full detail/wash
- Base Layer of collinite 845, this stuff is simply the best base coat i've ever seen. Goes on super easy and and tough as hell!
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

-After base layer fully applied and cured, top off with a wax, i personally go with Collinite 476S -
Collinite 476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax - 9 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

-Sealant. I use black fire wet diamond as a sealant.
This is the MAGICAL ingredient for me. The closest product to this is the menezerna power lock but this is by far much easier to work with and just made everything pop. While the collinite stack is more than adequate and will make your car pop, this just takes it a step further. Also applying this every 2-3 months or so will make water bead right off the car. not to mention this makes the car INCREDIBLY smooth.
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

once again you don't need these 3 stacked any 1 by itself will do the trick, but a base + wax is usually what i recommend, the sealant is just for additional peace of mind. Also keep in mind give it time to cure. I usually wait 1-2 hours in between waxes and apply sealant the following morning, or 6 hrs+ if im in a rush.

#24 ·
Thanks for the great information! I detailed 35 years ago but everything I learned is technologically irrelevant now.

Are you saying that you apply the base, wait 1-2 hours, and then apply the wax over the top of it, not buffing for an additional 1-2 hours after that? You being a close neighbor I won't ask too many trade secrets, but what type of buffing heads do you use after allowing that much cure time?

#25 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of lake country pads. I've used a few others and they all do the job but lake country was cheaper / and easier to work with, plus they offer a cornucopia of pads and applicators.
they look like this:

D.A. Foam Pads | Buffing & Polishing Products From Lake Country Manufacturing
specs:
Specifications - D.A. Foam Pads | Buffing & Polishing Products From Lake Country Manufacturing

I use the black ccs finessing to apply the 845 base wax, let it sit for 10-15 mins until it hazes and then use a MF towel to wipe (old school, break the wax and start going in circles)

wait an hr or so

Use another black ccs finessing pad for the 476S wax, let it sit for another 10-15 mins until haze, then MF towel to buff it off.

Wait another hr (if you're in a rush) or 4-6 hours if you've got time to kill.

then hit it up with the pièce de résistance. I use a red ccs finishing pad to apply the blackfire wet diamond sealant, a little bit goes a very long way, and then let it haze up and break it. If you do not have a smile from ear to ear as you're buffing it wrong then money back guaranteed! (jk i'm not refunding anything :p)

the wait times are approximate, if it's hot and dry then you will cut your wait time. Some people wait 15-20 mins between waxes, and others apply sealant right away but i just like to wait for the panels to cool and let everything cure. Waxes go on very very easy so it's a short process anyways.

#28 ·
I've used 3M's High Gloss Cleaner Wax on all my cars & will continue to use it. Leaves her beading for months :cool2:

#30 ·
^^^^^Sick!!!!!! That stuff is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 ·
I prefer Shine Supply products myself as well as Meguiar's M100, M105, M205. As of recently, I've been using Shine Supply. (shinesupply.com). Autopia.org is a great forum for detailers and product review.

The ShineSupply AIO MF Edition works really well with a Rupes 21 and a Meguiar's or Rupes MF cutting pad. The Classic Cut (compound) cuts really well and finishes off like a polish. They have sealant, was, soap, detail spray, carpet cleaner, APC, water spot remover, metal polish etc etc etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.