Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I reached out to JCS-pods and they were needing some R&D for a single pillar pod.
I decided since my plan was to only ever install a boost gauge that a single pod was perfect.

so here we go... A-Pillar Install.jpg

I emailed JCS and they responded with in 24 hours, very nice guy also.
Above you will see the product itself, very nice, simple, light weight, its actually an OEM pillar that is custom fabbed.
I have read before here that some were going to paint the opposite side pillar black to match, I was thinking what i'll end up doing is painting this one and the other side gray to match.

A-Pillar Installinstall.jpg

On to the install.... At first you pop off the existing pillar at the very top right beneath the rubber trim, difficult at first but it'll pop.
Then it gets to the point where there is a safety type locking pin that actually just requires a bit more UMPH to get out.
When I popped it the first time I saw all the wiring and the packet that states it has explosives, that freaked me out a bit, but avoid it all and your safe, its not attached to the molding pillar but to the structure itself.
So really yank hard straight out and it will pop off on the top end then the bottom will have two tabs that slide out and up.

The install is the same, slide in the bottom portion, downwards then straight towards the pillar, then work on the top.
It might appear loose, push it hard and it will pop in all the tabs.
Make sure your rubber trim is properly fit with its own tab.

Vt.jpg

Very easy install, very nice product.
Jason at JCS-pods is a great guy to deal with.
He mentions on his site factory steering column covers being used with gauge pods.... so Turbosocks he might be the guy to get with on this.

Hope this helps someone out there...

Now to figure out which boost gauge to buy...

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
How much? Did he release that?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He hasn't yet, he wanted some R&D first, and some idea if there will be a want/demand for the product
I told him already yes to a want/demand... and as of now the fitment was perfect the placement was good.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wonder if these would negatively affect air bag deployment. I want the option to add extra gauges but not at the compromise of safety.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you re-read, you will see that part about explosives and the pictures show an airbag behind the pillar panel. So yes it has pillar air bags.

I would possibly be interested in this. I was thinking of trying to make something mount on top of the dash that is attached to the center speaker grill.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
If you re-read, you will see that part about explosives and the pictures show an airbag behind the pillar panel. So yes it has pillar air bags.

I would possibly be interested in this. I was thinking of trying to make something mount on top of the dash that is attached to the center speaker grill.
OH MAN that changes things. I would love to have this but like Sixspeed said, I wonder what would happen if in a unfortunate event something happens and the bag needs to deploy. I doubt the JCS-pod pillar gauge would react the same way the oem pillar cover would. I would assume the oem pillar cover is design to split open to allow the bag to do its job. where as the pillar gauge pod would not and get in the way of the bag being deployed. almost like if you are in a bad accident and if that bad deploys the pillar gauge pod would just cause even more problems. I could be wrong and over thinking this.

But I would like to see a gauge pod being made where the center speaker grill is as well.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Yea, this may cause some safety concerns depending if it was designed to split apart for the airbag. I plan to get a spare grill and gauge pod next month and start to mock something up.
AWESOME! Please don't be a stranger to this forum with this mod idea on your mind! now that would definitely be something I'd be looking forward to! Do a DIY and give details on how to run the wires through the dash board to run the lines to the center speaker spot :D how exciting lol

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
A) These are built from OEM pillars. So whatever the intended function of the OEM pillars is, these should not affect them.
B) Our airbags seem to be designed to deploy "past" not "through" the A pillars.

I looks like they lost the texture however.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey everyone,

so, a bunch of good questions, concerns, and observations.

From what I see, the pod itself is an OEM hyu part just with a modified fab pod installed and then they resurfaced the top and painted black.
If you look at the first picture and you see the yellow clip and the black clip next to it, that is used so that when the airbag does deploy it just
pops back far enough away from the pillar to allow the airbag to come out the top not through the pillar. The plastic pillar should not break or
split in two during deployment. Not unless something went wrong...(too much explosives :/ )

The item does have texture but not the same as OEM(probably due to the repainting process) my plan was to repaint both sides to grey to match again OEM.
Painting both black does seem to mess with your eyes due to the flow of colors coming from the roof downwards.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm looking for some pillar options myself. Am getting the car tuned at the end of the month and wanted to get a boost gauge. Can anyone direct me to a good site? Thanks :)

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
A) These are built from OEM pillars. So whatever the intended function of the OEM pillars is, these should not affect them.
B) Our airbags seem to be designed to deploy "past" not "through" the A pillars.

I looks like they lost the texture however.
I or It? I don't know if I can trust you with whatever you say....

hey everyone,

so, a bunch of good questions, concerns, and observations.

From what I see, the pod itself is an OEM hyu part just with a modified fab pod installed and then they resurfaced the top and painted black.
If you look at the first picture and you see the yellow clip and the black clip next to it, that is used so that when the airbag does deploy it just
pops back far enough away from the pillar to allow the airbag to come out the top not through the pillar. The plastic pillar should not break or
split in two during deployment. Not unless something went wrong...(too much explosives :/ )

The item does have texture but not the same as OEM(probably due to the repainting process) my plan was to repaint both sides to grey to match again OEM.
Painting both black does seem to mess with your eyes due to the flow of colors coming from the roof downwards.

...SOLD! Full of creditability here on this guy!!!! That one before...I don't know how far you can trust swordfish these days lol j/k

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would trust swordfish with my seeing eye dog if I was blind....you know better Z06 lol

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Big thanks to Dmilinare for this. Started talking to Jason about an RHD version - very prompt and helpful. As far as the gauge is concerned I'm going with the Glowshift GS-T701. 7 pretty colours including blue!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts