Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very disappointed and pissed that my car started to rust at places where you don't expect to see any rust after two years let alone just two months of owning the car.

Here are some pictures of the front bumper, or rather the metal rebar behind the front bumper cover. Normally this area is not visible, you can only see it after you removed the front bumper cover. The are some visible rusts in the engine bay as well. Keep in mind that this is just after 2 months of owning the car in the summer. The car has yet to see snow or salt. I cannot imagine what it's gonna be like after a winter or two. This is not confidence inspiring at all!

In contrast, the underbody of the car is beautifully finished, especially for a car at this price point in my opinion. Nonetheless, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend the Veloster or Hyundai to people without at least mentioning the issue with rust or point out the awful orange peel on my car.

Again, just want to document and share my experience. It will be interest to see how the car hold up after a winter or two. In the mean time I will let the pictures do the talking.

20121010_153723 copy.jpg 20121010_153729 copy.jpg 20121010_153742 copy.jpg 20121010_160916 copy.jpg

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
That seems excessive..... you sure you aren't leaking water somewhere? .... Ill have to take a look under the hood to see if I see the same thing. I will say that my dealer got the OK to fix my paint defect under warranty so I suggest you have them check it on your next service. 7 year anti perforation might just come in handy hehehe.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some shots of the underbody. To be honest, I am rather impressed by the build quality considering the price. Which makes me even angrier about the rust hiding under my bumper cover, because it's only gonna get worse.

I understand that cost cutting is common among all automotive manufactures and sometimes even vital to its survival. But this makes me wonder where else have they've cut cost that I can't see. Frankly I don't care as long as the cost cutting does not manifest into a safety issue or repair cost out of my own pocket years down the road. I would even go as far as to say that I encourage it, if the cost saving can be passed back onto the consumer.

But in this case, somehow I can already imagine rust from the bumper end up on my radiator in the near future.

20121108_142123 copy.jpg
20121108_140941 copy.jpg 20121108_140921 copy.jpg 20121108_140835 copy.jpg 20121108_141524 copy.jpg 20121108_141558 copy.jpg 20121108_142012 copy.jpg 20121108_142203 copy.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That seems excessive..... you sure you aren't leaking water somewhere? .... Ill have to take a look under the hood to see if I see the same thing. I will say that my dealer got the OK to fix my paint defect under warranty so I suggest you have them check it on your next service. 7 year anti perforation might just come in handy hehehe.
I am pretty sure there are no leaks. The car is usually parked under a parking structure or basement parking garage away from rain and the weather.

What kinda paint defect did you have? Orange peel? Personally I rather just keep the original paint on my car. Gotta keep in mind that the paint job alone on exotic super cars like Lamborghini or ultra luxury cars like Rolls Royce can cost as much as a Veloster. So, my expectation on the paint job is not extraordinarily high.

On the other hand, you can see that the rust on the rebar are around the welding points. Which suggest to me that these area received poor paint or protective treatments. That's cost cutting gone wrong IMHO.

My friend's new BMW F30 3 series have similar rust problem with front seat frame and metal brackets around the front center console. Paying twice as much for a BMW and have serious rust problem inside the cabin, that sucks even more. Still that is no excuse for the rust problem on my car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
this just looks like some surface rust...really no big deal, don't be so hyper sensitive... you'll see this kind of rust on your rotors after a wash. if it really bugs you wipe off the rust and spray some enamel on those spots.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I will say I agree the paint process for the veloster leaves something to be desired. However I am comforted by the antiperforation
"body rust" warranty. Every car will oxidize in the undercarriage, and steel stock exhaust especially high temp turbo ones, do it fast. You could always get under there and rubberize the shit out of it and throw on a stainless exhaust kit. Is it worth the effort for a non show car... prolly not..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Corrosion or rust on TIG welds on cold roll steel like on the exhaust is completely normal. The little rust spots on the front sub-frame welds are a little disappointing but not surprising. I'd be tempted to hit them with a wire brush and a little Rustoleum spray paint just for good measure.

The brown stuff that has pooled on the bumper and tranny (?) does not look like rust to me. It's not red enough, doesn't show any coarse scaley texture and the little rust spots on the sub-frame welds couldn't produce that volume of material. The metal on the tranny isn't steel anyway.

The paint quality on my VT is outstanding. It still really shines and stands out among the other cars in a parking lot. I like how they added an extra coating on the hatch sill to avoid corrosion in this area that attracts detritus and is prone to rust. I don't have any chips yet and have bumped a Corolla and creased its rear bumper cover and taken a direct hit from a 2x4 piece of plywood square in the nose at 80 mph without any paint damage.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Doesn't it also depend on where you live? I always heard if you live near a salty ocean (or whatever) cars will rust fast and easier than where as a car is lived in a dry area live Texas or Arizona. That might just be the nature of your environment rather than Hyundai's choice of quality.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I figure Hyundai's 7 year anti-perforation warranty means they have a fair amount of confidence in their bodywork in even corrosive climates.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Seeing that the Veloster is made in S.Korea and shipped here on boats I feel that the salt environment while in transit can cause what is posted in the pictures. I haven't looked at my VT but am planning to give it a good hard look. I thought the rust warranty (rust through) was only for five years.

I don't worry too much since I will not be driving on salted roads and keep the VT in a carport all the time.

Still, the thought of rust does give me pause.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this just looks like some surface rust...really no big deal, don't be so hyper sensitive... you'll see this kind of rust on your rotors after a wash. if it really bugs you wipe off the rust and spray some enamel on those spots.
This.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts