Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most forums you can search for words in thread titles only for better results. Am I missing something, or is this just not available with this forum version of VBulletin? Add-on avail?

I tried searching "turbo specs" to find out the size of the compressor & exhaust turbines, AR, etc., but got a mess of unrelated results =P

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
For me at least, the forum's search has been borderline useless.

My suggestion would be the use Google's site search syntax:
site:www.velosterturbo.org turbo specs

This still gives a lot of unrelated threads (since the words appear on their own in a lot of unrelated discussions), but you can do a little better by forcing the complete phrase to appear with quotes:
site:www.velosterturbo.org "turbo specs"

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Tapatalk's search capabilities are marginally better.

Always did like Starions.

I have the specs around here somewhere...

·
Administrator
174 Posts
For me at least, the forum's search has been borderline useless.

My suggestion would be the use Google's site search syntax:
site:www.velosterturbo.org turbo specs

This still gives a lot of unrelated threads (since the words appear on their own in a lot of unrelated discussions), but you can do a little better by forcing the complete phrase to appear with quotes:
site:www.velosterturbo.org "turbo specs"
What exactly is bad about it? Are you finding threads don't turn up when you search terms?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What exactly is bad about it? Are you finding threads don't turn up when you search terms?
Perhaps some user error on my part, since getting the right keyword is a bit of an art form -- but it still seems like the search results are "noisy", and certainly not sorted for relevance. Maybe it's just that Google has spoiled us all.

The main search function doesn't automatically zero in on individual posts, so you might get directed to the "What did you do/get for your Veloster today?" and start shuffling through 1300 pages -- unless you know to look for the "search thread" feature separately. This may be by design, but still a hassle to the casual searcher.

There are lots of 3-letter words and acronyms in this community. Several common search terms are dropped because the words are too short, aggravating the process. Examples:
"Catch Can" becomes a search for "Catch".
"Oil Filter" becomes "filter".
Pretty much all of the terms listed here are affected.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
short answer: "INTITLE"

A while back, I created a sticky-ed tutorial on how to effectively search the forums.
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/introductions/9458-forum-how-advanced-search-google.html

It assumes you know how to google. Google is smart enough to prioritize thread titles.
But, if you want to be specific:

intitle:{keyword}

exact phrase:
intitle:"turbo specs" site:velosterturbo.org

not exact phrase, but contains both words:
intitle:turbo intitle:specs site:velosterturbo.org

alternatively, you can use "allintitle" for the above search
allintitle:turbo specs site:velosterturbo.org

1 - 9 of 9 Posts