Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning on installing an aftermarket boost gauge? Where do you plan on installing it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was just thinking about the same thing. Well, oil temperature, a/f ratio, and boost. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to mount a pillar pod on the left hand A pillar. It would be cool to see custom fiberglass work to mount gauges above the LCD display. Anyone planning to cut up their dash? :)

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
I plan on adding some sort of boost gauge without tearing up the dash or giving it the racey pillar look.

There will be no need to get any other gauges at this point like A/F and oil pressure unless you just like flashy lights.

The reason I will be adding a boost gauge is to see how new hard pipes affects the pressure output and adding check valves where I think leaks might be affect it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wonder how much people would pay for that... you could always hook up a Raspberry Pi to the VGA input, along with a USB CANBUS reader, and then sort all the values and details you need in a nice format like that... It wont be touchscreen though, it'll be display only.

Wonder if you can even pull all that information off the CANBUS...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm going to try and see if I can run Android on my Raspberry Pi, then use Torque on it. Just ordered the ELM327 bluetooth chip.

This is going to be awesome!

·
Registered
41 Posts
it does exist Zada Tech
i have been in contact with martin and they will be finishing development on a unit that does this with video out which means you will be able to use your aux in for the gauges or you can modify the camera input and the cam trigger also to display it this will also allow you to listen to radio cd what ever they also have a stand alone system it is really cool stuff

I know I'm dreaming, but come on, let me
I wish we could have all sorts of things like boost gauge, engine oil temp, voltage, oil pressure, all magically displayed in the big center screen, ala GT-R

Reactions: Turbosocks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone planning on installing an aftermarket boost gauge? Where do you plan on installing it?

I am installing the Innovate Motorsports OT-2 and LC-1 kit this weekend. I bought the LC-1 kit with the digital air fuel ratio gauge, but the OT-2 which can be read on the Iphone with the OT-2 Itunes app. will read boost on the Iphone. I don't yet know where I'm going to put the Air Fuel gauge, but pobably will opt for a free standing auto meter gauge housing.

ttwotees :cool2:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Get out of my head 3H2HI!

I was thinking the exact same thing. All sorts of data must exist in the ECU that is not being displayed. Hyundai isn't making 125hp per liter and 38mpg unless they are monitoring everything.

The dash screen must be running some sort of operating system because clearly it is a computer. The first thing I noticed about the screen was that it boots up and is not an embedded hardware system. Did you notice that while you are waiting for it to boot and you put in reverse that the rear camera is an embedded hardware system and it will display before the system boots? And that even though the camera comes on immediately it still takes the normal boot time for the grid to come up?

If you break it down there are only 3 OS's it can be running because Hyundai isn't in the OS business. It could be Android - but then it would look and act better. It could be Linux - that would explain its clunky interface. It is most likely Symbian. Wouldn't it be a hoot if you could stick a Symbian boot disk in the CD slot and boot it in to admin mode?

I'm dreaming here, so bear with me. If Hyundai wanted to complete their tour de force with the Veloster and stab Microsoft's SYNC in the heart they could provide a SDK that includes the APIs that they used for the display and the ECU. Clearly the engineers that designed this system have that SDK and API's.

A boy can dream.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
the head unit is based off windows CE.. i'm wondering if we could install palmer scanxl onto the head unit and run the cable from the usb to the obd

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would not have guessed WinCE. Sure enough WinCE 7.0 came out in 2011. The wait for WinMobile 7.5 was bad enough - but 5 years between WinCE 6.0 and 7.0?

Obviously there needs to be some middleware and it might need some hardware too.

What takes the ECU data to the gauge pack?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please keep talking! this is all very intresting! So what is the most advanced tech we have out right now to monitor all of this? A bluetooth ECU and Torque App?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I was talking to one of my tuner friends and they said theres a small chance that might work if we could access CE completely, since we have the ELU though it's something that should be able to work even if we're running the exe off the flash drive

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've installed a digital air/fuel ratio gauge on the lower left quadrant of the steering column and for me it's the perfect place because the light doesn't blind me at night. I'm thinking of installing a digital boost gauge on the opposite side.
I'd be glad to show it to you in Cedar Park sometime.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've installed a digital air/fuel ratio gauge on the lower left quadrant of the steering column and for me it's the perfect place because the light doesn't blind me at night. I'm thinking of installing a digital boost gauge on the opposite side.
I'd be glad to show it to you in Cedar Park sometime.

or you could just post photos/video here so you could save us a drive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts