Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know of any performance shops that plan on specializing with aftermarket turbo kits for the Veloster? I'm curious to see what this engine can handle :)

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wonder what will be required. From my understanding, the exhaust manifold and turbine housing are one unit? I suppose an aftermarket turbo exhaust header could be done though. Of course, maybe the existing turbo could be rebuilt as a hybrid (larger compressor wheel / stock exhaust section?)

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
companies will probably make CHRA upgrades like they did/do with the SRT-4s and the Gencoupe..

It will still utilize the integrated manifold but have an upgraded CHRA and ported/bigger comp housing..

My only concern with the ease of these upgrades is how the stock electronic WG works and how it will be modified to up the boost pressure and such.

·
Registered
51 Posts
companies will probably make CHRA upgrades like they did/do with the SRT-4s and the Gencoupe..

It will still utilize the integrated manifold but have an upgraded CHRA and ported/bigger comp housing..

My only concern with the ease of these upgrades is how the stock electronic WG works and how it will be modified to up the boost pressure and such.
this is the for the SRT4- Only staged turbo kits like what mopar sold (stage 1-3) had turbos that reuse the "turbofold" (manifold+ turbo housing combo).
most people buy turbo kits from reputible companies that design there own manifolds for a bigger turbo to sit on. Im sure thats what companies will do with the VT, unless you live in cali, then your SOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't tell you exactly what the plan is but I can tell you that TurboKits.com will be working on some serious upgrades for this thing. They have been in business for over 10 years and doing this even longer individually. I will be partnering up with them once it is released and finding out the true nature of the beast... Just hang on because it will be a few months after released before you'll probably see any products or info. By the very latest our hopes are to have upgrades ready for next summer, probably sooner though..

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
you could get CHRA NON-MOPAR upgrades for the SRT-4 AND can with the Gcoupe that use the stock turbo-fold. They use bigger internals and compressor wheels like with the 16G and 18G upgrades. Yeah, there are/were bolt-on upgrade kits that use 'shelved' turbos but you COULD upgrade by just the CHRA.

Since companies are doing it for the Gcoupe, I'd be willing to bet they also do it for the Vturbo. Not only do they do the CHRA upgrade for the Gcoupe but they offer about 5 different sizes that bolt into the stock turbo hot side.

My bet is both will be options. I would most definitely choose the CHRA upgrade route as you would not need to change your IC piping or your existing down-pipe setup. Hyundai owners are historically cheap which is why there will probably be both options. With a CHRA style upgrade you get most of the benefits of the bigger turbo with ONLY needing the turbo and not manifold + turbo + lines + IC pipe.

The only need for going the extra mile is if you are going for an all-out power car instead of a fun, quick DD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Turbosocks
Veloster Turbo Forum
This is the Veloster Turbo forum where you can learn all the tips and mods to make your Hyundai Veloster Turbo faster and talk about the new Veloster N!
Full Forum Listing