Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,
I bought a 2016 VT for my lady,
I just picked up the X-Force 2.5in turbo back system for it and I'm looking at what would be the best option for air intake to be paired with the exhaust,
I'm sending it in to be tuned once the intake and exhaust are fitted but I just want to know my options for the intake before hand.

What would be the best high flow panel filter for it? or do I drop 5x the cash on the stainless piped cold air intake with a pod?

Cheers in advance.
SoggyJim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the exhaust will give a nice note, but when it comes to the air intake the aim is performance,
Don't get me wrong, a louder whistle of air rushing in would be nice, but mainly aiming for performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the best value for a full intake system would definitely be the basic Injen CAI or SRI, but if you want to get pretty close to a full system for cheap I would recommend taking out the airbox and swapping it with an AEM dry cone filter, which is what I did and cost me around $45 for the filter, 3" spectre pipes and some clamps. But if you are going for max performance I would definitely buy the Injen intake.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,315 Posts
You can make 230-240 whp area(+35-45 kw) without spending too much. What budget do you have total? Is this a manual or DCT car? Is the car all oem now? Odometer reading?

Key will be good maintenance first which most have no clue about including the dealers. Then figure out goals and uses with the car. Consider ambient conditions as well. After that the mods will be known. Budget will determine what is doable and how good it will look, sound, and perform.

Reactions: SoggyJim

·
Administrator
6,315 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
1ducks, I was looking at this intake for the ease of bolt off/bolt on.
Im not sure about the performance differences between the Injen and K&N (if there are any at all), but I do have a friend who installed an Injen CAI in his Jetta and told me that it took 15 minutes to put on and was very easy to install, so personally I would save the money and get the Injen intake, and put the extra money towards other bolt ons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trdtoy,
The car is completely stock at the moment,
It's has 63,000miles
Manual transmission
As for budget, for the air intake I'm happy to drop around $500USD on it.
The car has had every service done by the dealer on time by the first owner (who we bought it off)

·
Administrator
6,315 Posts
I suggest do good maintenance to the car before modification and tuning. Service by a dealer on time intervals suggested by the dealer or the oem is mediocre at best and not what you want the cars state to be in before modification and tuning.

Only mods needed to meet you power goals is gut cats, oem intake free mods with fresh oem filter, HKS M45XL plugs with. 024" gaps, high octane fuel, good tune.

·
Administrator
6,315 Posts
Someone brought up this intake the other day... no clue if the claims of +14hp are true but geez it sure looks nice!

Here is the dyno for that intake and a zoom in on the bottom for more details.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Art

The claim is up to 14 hp 12 wtq. Peak and avg under the curve was less than those numbers. These pulls were not done on the same day or same conditions either. The conditions were not even close to good for either pull seen by the jagged curves in the upper rpm due to ecu intervention.

These cars respond to mods and dyno conditions very easily which will skew the results some. So unless the runs were done under the same parameters with proof via datalog take them with a grain of salt as it is not close to an apples to apples result of just an intake being added.

All that being said I have done apple to apple tests on intakes with these cars and have seen similar or even higher results however it was usually due to the oem filter being very dirty restricting flow and thus power. When filter is removed or a new one in place the gains are usually much lower.

I have seen 5-6 hp from free oem intake mods and 2-3 more hp at times by installing a new filter or removing the filter for a dyno pull. And I've made 240+ whp with a free oem modified intake(but I do not recommend). This is in the same realistic area of aftermarket intakes. Now on cars that are pushing higher air flow and power numbers the power gains will be a little more especially if the flow of the intake is good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.