Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just purchased some wonderful 18x8.5+35 wheels for my car today so naturally I now need some tires. I plan to throw on some coil overs in the next few weeks as well but first I need tires. I have a 2016 so currently have a 225/40/r18. I've got suggested maybe a 245/35/r18 or is that too big? I would like to go a little wider if I can just for grip and prefer not to stretch my tires. Also any suggestions for just which ones to get?

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,428 Posts
If you go low you will not be able to clear a 235 or wider without camber. 225 will clear until you go around 2-2.5" drop on that wheel. Better wheel specs you can run up to a 255 width tire.

Continental DWS06 or the plus is what you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go low you will not be able to clear a 235 or wider without camber. 225 will clear until you go around 2-2.5" drop on that wheel. Better wheel specs you can run up to a 255 width tire.

Continental DWS06 or the plus is what you want.
Ok, cool. Yeah I mean I don't really plan to slam it really just close the wheel gap some. Good to know thank you for your help

·
Registered
444 Posts
Both my wife (2019) and my (2015) Veloster Rspec have Continental DWS06 225x40/r18 from day 1. I had my first sidewall blowout with the Kuhmo's (with only 1,000 miles), so as I was in the truck I asked what tires he saw the least call on, and he said Continental.

P.S. I still have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with less than 800 miles on them.(can't seem to sell em here in PA)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've always had my eye on those continentals but I'm too cheap. In that category the best bang for your buck tire may be General g-max as05. They have great reviews on tirerack and they are the only tire that I've purchased for years (purchased sets on 3 separate occasions now) other than what's on my minivan (which are also General's).

The biggest differentiator between the continentals and the generals is probably grip in light snow/ice. The continentals are rated to have a bit better grip there. General's probably cost around $20 less per tire.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In the part of PA I'm in, snow doesn't happen to offend, but ice is a big problem. 🤔

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we get ice so I need all season. I wish we were a tad warmer in winter time but we aren't so I need an all season isn't worth getting a dedicated winter and or summer tire. Really though I think I'm sold on what tire really just trying to get size

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
where do you live?

you get ice and you aren't considering a winter tire? if you have any amounts of snow and ice in your area, it's smart to get a cheap set of wheels and winter tires. they are formulated for the temperature change and provide superior grip. even a cheap snow tire will be better than a good all season when the temps drop. it isn't all about the precipitation ;)

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where do you live?

you get ice and you aren't considering a winter tire? if you have any amounts of snow and ice in your area, it's smart to get a cheap set of wheels and winter tires. they are formulated for the temperature change and provide superior grip. even a cheap snow tire will be better than a good all season when the temps drop. it isn't all about the precipitation ;)
I live in NC, yes we get ice but very rarely. It mainly just get's cold. I've considered getting winters but I don't know any shop that even sells them. I've never used winters here neither does my family and most people I know. I think that is a question I'll ask in a specific NC group about. This last winter though there was 3 days which we had ice rain and ice everything else was just cold(under 40)

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,428 Posts
I've been in Central part of NC my entire life. Made my suggestion already but can make more recommendations if you wanted more options.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
i gotcha, i was thinking midwest or something or new england like me. yeah - may not make complete sense to buy winter tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i gotcha, i was thinking midwest or something or new england like me. yeah - may not make complete sense to buy winter tires.
O yeah it really doesn't. Sometimes I wish it did would be so much easier but no. Honestly the worst thing is I graduate soon and I plan to move even further south so if I do I'll probably get summer for all year round if I do

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
281 Posts
O yeah it really doesn't. Sometimes I wish it did would be so much easier but no. Honestly the worst thing is I graduate soon and I plan to move even further south so if I do I'll probably get summer for all year round if I do
Floridian here... lol summer for all year sounds good.. until your summers aren't fresh anymore and you hit any standing water above 40mph :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've always had my eye on those continentals but I'm too cheap. In that category the best bang for your buck tire may be General g-max as05. They have great reviews on tirerack and they are the only tire that I've purchased for years (purchased sets on 3 separate occasions now) other than what's on my minivan (which are also General's).

The biggest differentiator between the continentals and the generals is probably grip in light snow/ice. The continentals are rated to have a bit better grip there. General's probably cost around $20 less per tire.
I agree, I picked up the General g-max as05's for my Veloster NA stock 17 inch wheels and I've been very happy with them. The only thing is at 70-75 I heard a very slight hum from the tires but it wasn't bad at all. I don't notice it anymore. For the money they blow away the old Kumhos as far as performance dry and wet. Totally different ride and well worth the money! If you can afford the Michelins go for it, but I feel it's a waste of money if you have to buy all season tires instead of summer! I ran them in the snow for a day in Utah and they seemed to grip pretty good since the tread grooves are wide and they have sipes. I live in Miami now and they run good in heavy rain too, these cars are light so good wet weather tires are very important. Hopefully he gets the sizing correct.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree, I picked up the General g-max as05's for my Veloster NA stock 17 inch wheels and I've been very happy with them. The only thing is at 70-75 I heard a very slight hum from the tires but it wasn't bad at all. I don't notice it anymore. For the money they blow away the old Kumhos as far as performance dry and wet. Totally different ride and well worth the money! If you can afford the Michelins go for it, but I feel it's a waste of money if you have to buy all season tires instead of summer! I ran them in the snow for a day in Utah and they seemed to grip pretty good since the tread grooves are wide and they have sipes. I live in Miami now and they run good in heavy rain too, these cars are light so good wet weather tires are very important. Hopefully he gets the sizing correct.
Yeah ended up getting firehawks since I was able to get them and didn't have to wait for a few weeks. Says it has good wet weather so I'm hoping these do good as long as I use them. I move next year so I'll probably end up having a summer this time next year anyway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had winter tires on last winter here in CT, although not sure why , I usually went on the road when it was already plowed anyway, plus the covid stuff, I didn't go to work many times. The car looks weird with 16" wheels, reminds me of cars from the 90s.
I've been using 17s all year, since I do a lot of highway, my 18" wheels needs new tires. I got 3 different sizes now, I'm just gonna run down the 17s (not much left of them after 3yrs) and maybe buy tires for the 18s next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts