Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of my 2014 VT

IMO, the new style (especially from the side and back) are hideous.

I love the specs (really would love the "N", but I cannot get past the less aggressive styling.

Anyone with me or am I totally off the deep end?

Greg

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
i can deal with the exterior but the interior is hideous, especially that half cloth seat crap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't really have any problems with the new look. Test drove a 20 N 2 months ago and was extremely close to trading in my 13 VT but the dealer got back to me 24 hrs too late and I'd already dropped $800 on a few more mods. I'm pretty happy it worked out that way. The N was really fun, but I didn't notice a huge difference in speed over my current. The dealer actually joked that there would be nothing I would miss but I gave him a whole list haha. Leather seats, heated seats, sun roof, grounded outlet in the center console. I think he was a little surprised. I definitely wouldn't be upset if I had to get an N but I'm really glad it didn't work out. With how well my engine runs right now at 113K I expect it to last another 100 or 2 easy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am over 70K in my '14... good to know yours is still going strong at 113K
Thanks! I've been using the same full synthetic oil and filters for the life of the car. Only thing I wish I would have known about sooner is installing oil catch cans. Definitely do that if you haven't already.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, have to research oil catch cans....what exactly does that do for the car? I have been putting in ethanol free gas, which supposedly is better for the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So Nate put some really great starter info together here https://www.veloster.org/threads/oil-catch-can-thread-for-us-turbo-guys.7584/

But basically with our GDI engines a lot of crap can build up over the miles/years on our intake valves. I would have done an OCC kit day one if I'd known what kind of residue can get in there.we should have 2. Most importantly, the breather side and then the PCV valve side into the manifold. There are different ways to set the cans up but you'll have to do some research to figure out how you want yours. I think this pic is also one that Nate uploaded but green is the PCV and red is the breather. The whole purpose of the can is to catch crap trying to into your engine and you drain it out every so often. It's really beneficial for any engine but especially for our turbo GDIs. I'm nowhere near an expert but there are a ton of good OCC threads on here!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So Nate put some really great starter info together here https://www.veloster.org/threads/oil-catch-can-thread-for-us-turbo-guys.7584/

But basically with our GDI engines a lot of crap can build up over the miles/years on our intake valves. I would have done an OCC kit day one if I'd known what kind of residue can get in there.we should have 2. Most importantly, the breather side and then the PCV valve side into the manifold. There are different ways to set the cans up but you'll have to do some research to figure out how you want yours. I think this pic is also one that Nate uploaded but green is the PCV and red is the breather. The whole purpose of the can is to catch crap trying to into your engine and you drain it out every so often. It's really beneficial for any engine but especially for our turbo GDIs. I'm nowhere near an expert but there are a ton of good OCC threads on here!

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. Have to do some homework!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, IMO they really screwed up the look. The front looks exactly like the Elantra and Sonata. I can't tell which of the three cars are behind me in the mirror now. Here's a post comparing 2016 vs 2019 https://www.velosterturbo.org/threads/and-here-she-is.29218/page-10#post-659538. The rear end is the best change IMO as the 1st gen was not as aggressive as the rest of the car, now it stands out, but it's the only thing.

The 1st gen was very unique inside and out. The 2nd gen looks like the rest of the Hyundai lineup. The interior is bland and looks like a downgraded Elantra whereas the 1st gen had the unique angled "V" styling. And even though it was mostly hard plastic as well, it has a texture that has a velvety feel to it. The 2nd seats look like a downgrade as well, I want leather.....and if you search around, the Korean version gets leather heated and cooled seats. US gets left out on that option.......I'd hated to give up my heated seats to "upgrade" to the 2020 version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't say its hideous but I do agree that its a step down from the 1st gen in the looks department. Love my 16VT because of the fact it catches peoples attention because of the shape and design. The new one seems too vanilla. Love the performance though of the N and I'd be willing to take that setup with mediocre body design if I was in the market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Veloster owner here...I actually do prefer the new look. I darned nearly bought a 2013, but the looks (and performance) led me elsewhere...but the 2019 got me to pull the trigger...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just came from the Hyundai lot (mostly to look at the Genesis G70). G-d's honest truth, I walked past the new Veloster (mixed in with Sonata, etc) and didn't even notice the V. This is what gets me. The older body style is so much more unique and aggressive looking - played down in the new version so much that it just blends in with everything else. So bummed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts