Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, doing the intro thing. :) I got a Kona Premium for my wife just before New Year's, and then 6 days later I got this Veloster. I test drove the first NA units back in 2011 in LA, and I really liked the layout of the vehicle. Since I'm more of a turbo car fan (had a WRX I modified and autocrossed, along with my 2011 Juke that got a ton of mods before I traded it in for this) I was going to wait. I guess I'm glad I didn't get around to trading in my Juke until now. I was going to compete with the Juke for the Hell of it, but I had to wait until I lowered it (wound up being Eibachs) before I got the roofline height to within permitted spec. But the open diff, and the hassle I was getting from people that didn't want to see me competing in a turbo car again was, annoying. ;-)

Anyway, I came here to see what's up, and to see if there were any favorite OCC configs that were popular along with anyone having issues with oil slosh if using Redline (or similar) in competition. On the OCC thing, I had a nice dual Saikou Michi setup where I had extended fuel lines and quarter-turn drain petcocks that I mounted to the radiator support for ease of drainage. The engine compartment on this Veloster isn't as tall as my 2011 Juke was, and the engine compartment doesn't seem to be as "stuffed," which might make normal bottom-drain configurations easier to work with but I'm checking out the engine forum to see who's running what.

On the Redline question, I had issues with odd PCV leaks of oil when using Redline during autocross events. Since I'm going to a dual OCC setup with this car, I was checking to see if the nicer, ester-based oils got thrown around and wound up in OCCs more often than others.

Anyway, back to work and random searching. :)

Oh, and the obligatory picture...
IMG-0103.JPG

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will find most answers here if you search.
Yes, hence the "random searching" part, thanks to typical forum search tools and using Google limiters. And I did find that thread of yours of using alternate methods of evacuating crankcase pressure.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just ask questions... the more questions you ask the more traffic it drives into the forum. Thats my opinion anyway. There is a wealth of info already on this forum though, it is defiently worth your time to just thumb through many of the stickeys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man I really love the body lines on these things. Also, I swear that looks like "Performance Blue" which I thought was only available on the "N". Confirm?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the Hyundai Performance Blue is an N-only option for the Veloster N and i30 N. And it does seem to have the ever-so-slight pearl in the clear that causes a flip in the color. Where I normally park, the sun bounces around off some glass you get this weird pink color off the rear bumper. It’s a bit exaggerated with the nano-ceramic coating I put on it, and honestly I thought it was the coating that caused the pink hue at times by itself. But there are a lot of pics of this Space Grey where it has a stronger blue cast, even in the press release shots from Hyundai.

I really, really like the color and while I don’t normally like black wheels, the pattern and size seem to work great with the overall look of the car. I didn’t even think of the R-Spec at first, and therefore skipped the shots of it while looking at it off and on for about a month. When the sales guy pulled up the “Veloster Turbo Ultimate 6MT” he said they had and I was like “really?”, I was still blown away by how it looked. The two things I still really wanted were automatic climate control and an adaptive rear view mirror. But since the car drove great and looked perfect, I figured I’d deal with the manual climate controls for now and see if the control interface/module can just be swapped out later.

Basically, the N and the N Performance Pack (in the USDM version) add on the automatic climate control I wanted as the only additional “concession” and then start going into the engine swap and chassis mods. No HUD, no leather, no sunroof, no DCT, no power seats, and not even the blind spot warning (lateral collision detection) with the LEDs in the side mirrors. The NPP also adds more chassis bracing around the lower control arms to deal with the even stickier tire option (or eventual R compounds I guess) which just makes it that much cooler. It’s just nice seeing more options like the old Neon ACR and option packages that limit what can be slapped on there. It isn’t as crazy as the old 1LE Camaro from the mid-90s where it was a consumer “Law Enforcement” edition with A/C delete that I wouldn’t be extreme enough to do in a daily driver, but is a great way to go overall.

On a side note, why do so many OEMs get CarPlay so wrong? It’s just so good in this generation of Hyundai and Kia vehicles. Now don’t get me wrong, it isn’t going to win any sound-off competitions, but it’s super useable and the upgraded 8” display with the Infinity system comes standard on the R-Spec. Not bad for just under 2800 pounds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
i just traded my 15 r-spec in for a 19 N 250 hp version i was told the new tune for the 19 r-spec is really much better i am really happy with my N so much more things to play around with . Have a good one and ENJOY the velosters are great .

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my case, I’d get the blue. I like that shade of blue well enough, but it’s a special color for the car and is their base livery color for WRC and TCR competition. I typically favor the special color for a specific model or trim/package group, just because I love the idea. I just happened to get lucky with my R-Spec in that I really love the various “cement” and “glorified primer” colors. I do think the Arrest Me Red is gorgeous though, and as much as I don’t go for typical “black” finishes I hate “silver” even more. If the black has some odd yellow sparkle or flip to it, or the “silver” is a really deep graphite with a pearl, I’ll probably dig it.

The worst issue for me is the 2005 WRX STI. I had a silver WRX (and then a Honda Fit, the Kia Sorento, ugh...) and wanted to do some sort of color for the wheels. I ordered a set of 5Zigen FN01RC in this crazy gunmetal that was awesome, but never really looked right to me against the silver. If I got the WRX new (and had an actual selection) at the time, I would have gotten the World Rally Blue and been happy.

Then I saw a white 2005 STI with the gold BBS wheels.

I always like the WRB, and that blue with the gold BBS STI wheels just made sense. But if I finally end up getting another to build, it would be a 2005 STI in white with the BBS/STI wheels and (hopefully) get the DCCD controller from the 06 STI that was smart enough to decouple the center diff when the e-brake is pulled. But I guess that’s a bit specific... ;-)

On the R-Spec, I didn’t expect to like the (quite) black wheels against the Space Gray, but they look awesome. Once I weigh the stock wheel/tire combo today I’ll get a feeling for how desperate I’ll be to change them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2019 R-Spec USDM wheel with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (850 miles on them): 45.5 pounds over 6 different weight measurements. The scale sucked, and it wouldn’t register anything under 100 pounds, so my daughter and I took different measurements of each other with the wheel.

No, I don’t have pics because it was a clumsy and stupid process.

No, I’m not going to do it again.

Yes, I’m disappointed in the stupid scale I was stuck with as I planned on taking pictures.

Also, the spare tire was 25.3 pounds and the toolkit was 6.2 pounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts