Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I sent an email over to mandrel exhaust systems earlier this week about an exhaust for a VT and they responded with

Ironically,

We started a system for the Veloster afew weeks ago.

Its a tubing system only (without muffler/tip). You would need to have it installed with a muffler/tip from a shop... unless you can weld to save afew bucks.

Let me know if your interested in the tubing kit?

then when i asked about why no muff they said

When new model lines (like the Veloster) are released we generally start with Tubing Systems to help gauge interest in the model.

There is a considerable amount of time involved in R&D to make systems... and even more to build "bolt on" systems. If the system sells and there is alot of interest we usually revisit the system within several months to compete the bolt on process. Otherwise, it stops at the Tubing Systems.

The only other way we advance to a bolt on system is if a group buy is setup in advance before we prototype.

Not the best answer, but hopefully this helps.

I'm going to see if maybe they could do an axle back.. Their systems are usually pretty good they use magnaflow resonators/ mufflers (or borla muff)

I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to bring up to people as their tubing kits run from 120 (aluminized)-200 (stainless) and exhausts usually run under 500 bux fully decked out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm interested also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd be interested in a group buy for the bolt-on :smile:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Let's do this!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Let me get this straight... this will be for the piping cat-back correct?? So I would still need muffler, resonators, and tips?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me get this straight... this will be for the piping cat-back correct?? So I would still need muffler, resonators, and tips?
for the piping kit yes.. if we had enough people for a group buy on a bolt up catback they'd do that too and you wouldn't need anything.

You'd really only need a muff, the flanges and thats it (maybe a y pipe to fit into the stock exhaust exits)

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the price is reasonable and it sounds good, I'd be down.

Been thinking about the magnaflow set up seen on the NAV... but I would prefer a set up that's tuned for the VT.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the price is reasonable and it sounds good, I'd be down.

Been thinking about the magnaflow set up seen on the NAV... but I would prefer a set up that's tuned for the VT.
the magnaflow thats on the NAV would be too small for the VT anyways.

I mean the "cheap" route is just a resonator delete, and muff swap. since the exhaust is already mandrel bent and 2.4" ID

however you'll be able be able to get the piping for just about that price and make whatever setup you want and not have to hack up your stock setup

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
the OD is actually 2.4" (60.3mm)

I still don't see whats wrong with the 'cheap' route. Its not like anyone is going to keep their stock axle back sitting around (I don't know why they would) There would really be no reason to go back to stock if it wasn't sounding like a helicopter.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the OD is actually 2.4" (60.3mm)

I still don't see whats wrong with the 'cheap' route. Its not like anyone is going to keep their stock axle back sitting around (I don't know why they would) There would really be no reason to go back to stock if it wasn't sounding like a helicopter.
interesting.. so it's probably close to 2.25 ID.. that is smaller then expected a 2.5" ID could definitely help out a bit then

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
exhaust is typically always measured by the OD, no?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Turbosocks, all you did was a resonator delete correct?? Did you ever post up a sound clip??

I've been wanting to do mine, just haven't decide which route to take. I just want a deeper growl than the stock exhaust. More of a note to it.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
exhaust is typically always measured by the OD, no?
ID is what matters but some manufacturers go by OD.

I don't think the pipe is 1/8 inch thick.
60.3 mm is 2.37402" standard piping is just about .05" thick so 2 walls takes it to about 2.27" ;)

Turbosocks, all you did was a resonator delete correct?? Did you ever post up a sound clip??

I've been wanting to do mine, just haven't decide which route to take. I just want a deeper growl than the stock exhaust. More of a note to it.
he did muff delete not res delete I thought it sounded awesome but he said it was too loud under load.. I think res delete only might be the way to go for a cheap route unless you get a bigger exhaust.. and now that I'm seeing it's closer to 2.25" I'm thinking that a 2.5" would be a good upgrade with full bolt ons you're going to have close to 200 whp and on a TC car you want a much smoother exhaust flow. so the larger exhaust would probably be a better idea.. ESPECIALLY for anyone who plans on getting a tune ( as you'd probably be pushing around 230 whp with bolt ons and tune)

·
Registered
407 Posts
So $195 gets you all the 2.5" stainless piping for a CAT back system to the tips with no resonator or muffler?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts