Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday afternoon I decided to drive out to the lake to go for a run. On the way there, I was approaching an intersection with the lights green. I was driving in the left lane and there was an SUV up ahead in the right lane. The SUV had stopped before crossing the intersection and it looked like the driver was going to pull in a bank parking lot. What I couldn't see was the the SUV driver was flagging another driver in the bank paring lot to pull out saying that it was clear to turn. The car that was pulling out was a 2003 Honda Accord and the driver wanted to make a left hand turn into opposite flowing traffic to my left. The Honda driver drove in front of the SUV and into my lane without checking to see if there was oncoming traffic. Needless to say, I had no time time to stop and our front ends collided.

I was traveling at about 35mph and was about 30 feet away when I saw the car pull out in front of me. The driver in the Honda Accord didn't even inch forward. She just gunned it to make sure that she could make it into the lane that she wanted before other cars came across.

The VT got hurt pretty bad and it feels like someone has murdered my only child. Bye bye for now VT, you will be missed.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Crash Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Hyundai veloster

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

BTW I think the tow truck driver scratched your front bumper! (trying to throw a little humor in there)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that! A friend of mine drives an Elantra. She got into an accident last week. Some guy swerved to avoid something and hit her. Now she's driving a rental and yesterday a lady took a red light making a left turn and hit her. I almost got into an accident on Thursday...a girl decided to make a left turn as I was coming and she stopped right on my lane. A lot of people out there should not have a license.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ouch, glad your ok

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I now have to drive a Honda Fit/Jazz. What a downgrade.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Sorry for your loss, or is it not a total loss?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive design
My Genesis with the damage you see above was considered a total loss after the adjuster came out... I think he has more damage and unfortunately I don't think Hyundai makes any cars that can withstand any damage from the front. Funny enough, the engine was completely fine. OP, I think you and I don't have any luck with Honda Accords... :\

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I hate idiots that do that , they think they are being nice and letting people cross into opposite lane but I had soo many close calls from this exact thing, it pisses me off every time I see it. Make the jerk wait his turn and stop putting other drivers at risk.
Thursday afternoon I decided to drive out to the lake to go for a run. On the way there, I was approaching an intersection with the lights green. I was driving in the left lane and there was an SUV up ahead in the right lane. The SUV had stopped before crossing the intersection and it looked like the driver was going to pull in a bank parking lot. What I couldn't see was the the SUV driver was flagging another driver in the bank paring lot to pull out saying that it was clear to turn. The car that was pulling out was a 2003 Honda Accord and the driver wanted to make a left hand turn into opposite flowing traffic to my left. The Honda driver drove in front of the SUV and into my lane without checking to see if there was oncoming traffic. Needless to say, I had no time time to stop and our front ends collided.

I was traveling at about 35mph and was about 30 feet away when I saw the car pull out in front of me. The driver in the Honda Accord didn't even inch forward. She just gunned it to make sure that she could make it into the lane that she wanted before other cars came across.

The VT got hurt pretty bad and it feels like someone has murdered my only child. Bye bye for now VT, you will be missed.

View attachment 1201 View attachment 1200

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Did the SUV stick around? I know from traffic school that in AZ the SUV would get in trouble for directing the accord to go.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I say buy it back and part it out to the NA guys or perhaps the Accent crowd. Someone may want the swap and certain parts out of it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The radiators/intercoolers are all smashed and that unique airbox where the turbo output meets the intake is done too. Without those parts converting an Accent or Forte is cost prohibitive.

All modern cars have those 2 arched box sections on either side of the drivetrain that are part of the unibody chassis that are designed to crumple and absorb the impact of a front end collision. Once you bend one of them they can't be straightened or replaced.

On a more positive note, the VT held up pretty well for a 25mph-ish front impact. It looks like the cabin was not compromised and all the doors still work and obviously you walked away unharmed.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The radiators/intercoolers are all smashed and that unique airbox where the turbo output meets the intake is done too. Without those parts converting an Accent or Forte is cost prohibitive.

All modern cars have those 2 arched box sections on either side of the drivetrain that are part of the unibody chassis that are designed to crumple and absorb the impact of a front end collision. Once you bend one of them they can't be straightened or replaced.

On a more positive note, the VT held up pretty well for a 25mph-ish front impact. It looks like the cabin was not compromised and all the doors still work and obviously you walked away unharmed.
The radiator is probably the same as the Accent and the intercooler would have to be customized anyway so why not just go fmic? When doing engine swaps, you'd expect some customization or fabrication of some sort is involved. If you were local and you didn't want it, I'd sure offer to buy it from the insurance myself.

·
2,385 Posts
Ok, ok. So this may be a bit distasteful, but I couldn't help it.
As soon as I read that it was a Honda Accord that rammed you off the road (sort of), I immediately thought of that stupid commercial they've got on in my market here.

Perhaps if the driver had this function:

They wouldn't have effing crashed into you!

Sorry again, people really need to look out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like you walked away without any major injuries. Though the bummer is the car is trashed, the upside is the car protected you. Hope all works out for you and you get back on the road with the VT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts