Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I am going to try to tackle this because there are plenty of us that wants our own stance on our beloved VTs. And we all want our own rim design and size and when it comes to choosing a tire size, more than less people assume as long as the tire beads up on a tire their good to go. People are not aware there are rim widths that every tire can be mounted on and that is really what I am going to specify here for my fellow VT buds.

I am going to use me as an example for I have already went through this process and think is an easy process to follow and keep people out of trouble.

step one is usually finding a rim you like...... I like the XXR 522. I have to make sure they make this in my bolt pattern otherwise the wheel will not bolt up to my lug pattern on my VT. Which they do make the 5X4.5 our veloster have. Next see if they make that wheel in the rim size you want. You typically do not want to go with anything smaller than OE, but depending on the stance you want, you can get away with a smaller rim diameter. In my case I want to stick with the same rim size and luckily for me they offer the 18" wheels. Now the confusing part is rim width. You typically do not want to go with a smaller rim width that the vehicle came with from the factor, But like I said before depending on what wild look you are after, you can get away with a skinnier rim width. OE rim size is 18"(rim diameter)x7.5"(rim width). Going lower on either, though especially rim width, is highly not recommended. Going lower on rim diameter will cause you to make the rest up of the entire wheel diameter with your tire, thus having a higher profile tire, and unless that is the look you care going for, just make sure the tire load & speed rating meets the VTs OE which is no lower than 85V. Also keep in mind lower wheel diameter means your speedo will be off a bunch. instead of going 70mph your going less. By making your rim bigger (rim diameter AND rim width) it isn't guaranteed that your tire will rub. Back to MY rim width, according to XXR catalog, they make in a bolt pattern 5X4.5 in either a 18X8.5 OR a 18X9.5. Since I am trying to stick as close to factory as I can, mainly to make this easy for me and the fact I am not going with a very wide tire because I do not think it will fit, a 18X8.5 will suffice.

As far as offset, it always makes it easier to stick to the factory offset, which in our case is +47. Drastically changing this can cause trouble too, so ask around if going with a lower or higher offset is going to rub or if there is anything special you have to do to rock the offset you want like camber kit, spacers and what not. I am not going to touch too much on this because this is not what I am after. Luckily for me the rims I am wanting are +48 which is good enough for me.

So I got my rim. XXR 522 18"(rim diameter)x8.5"(rim width) +48offset 5X4.5 bolt pattern. Now it is time for me to decide which tire I want to rock. fortunately for me, I want to rock the OE size for now. Which is 215/40R18. This is where I want people reading this to pay attention because choosing tires is just as important as to selecting the rims.

Our vehicle minimum load & speed rating is 85V. Never go under the vehicle manufacture load & performance (speed) rating. For definition,
LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY:
Maximum load for which tire is designed under standard conditions.
SPEED RATING:
An alphabetical code (A-Z) assigned to a tire indicating the range of speeds at which the tire can carry a load under specified service conditions

By lowering these ratings you limit your vehicles capabilities. IE braking distance, steering response, acceleration, tires life expectancy..etc. You are more likely to have problems with your tires and the way they perform and the way your vehicle performs by dropping these ratings. SO BE SURE YOUR TIRES MEET OR EXCEEDS THE VEHICLES LOAD AND SPEED RATING.

Sticking with the tires OE fitment, you typically will not have any issues with the load and speed rating. So, when I look for 215/40R18 tires, I know more less that the load and speed rating will meet or exceeds the VTs specs. However, if I where to alter the size, I would make sure that the tires can meet the VTs load and speed rating, which are 85V AND make sure the tire fits on the rim....

....Ok so I want to rock the OE tire size on my rims. Next thing to look for is to find a tire you like. NOT SIZE BUT BRAND AND MODEL. Working at Costco I am totally biased to what I sale. Everything else, maybe a few exceptions, are garbage. We sale, what I think, are the cream of the crop tire brand; Michelins, BFG (which is owned by Michelin, though not made by Michelin) and Bridgestones. I want to rock the new Michelin Super Sport. And luckily for me, Michelin makes a Super Sport in the size I want; 215/40R18. Now what I want to make sure is whether or not the 215/40R18 Michelin Super Sport rim width range fits on a 18X8.5. So I go to Michelin website, look up the tire (Michelin Super Sport) and the size (215/40R18) and look at the catalog....AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW, the Michelin Super Sport 215/40R18 rim width range (min/max) is 7"-8.5". GREAT. Also from looking at the same data, the load & speed rating is 89(Y). I am good to go because my rim width size is 8.5" and it meets/exceeds my load & speed rating. PERFECT

I buy said rims from desired location, I buy said tires from desired location, I follow my TPMS guide and I am on my way to get it aligned at desired location to protect my investment. You do not always have to get an alignment done. but I do twice a year because the whole point of an alignment is prevent irregular wear. They don't call it "Wheel Alignment" for nothing.

For more answers, be sure to check out these helpful tips
Costco.com - Shop for Tires Tire Basics
Costco.com - Shop for Tires Tire Glossary
Costco.com - Shop for Tires FAQs
Costco.com - Shop for Tires Tire Tips

This is a lot to understand so if you have any questions, PM me or don't be shy and ask here. Asking a question on this thread would be better because I am sure if you have a question, someone else has a similar question.

This is more of a tire size guide and how to match it best for the VT and the rim of your desire. I choose the easiest fitment to avoid all the guessing games. but If you have any questions about what rims or tires fit on a VT, ask around here. There are thousands of choices to choose from between rims and tires. I can't tell you ALL the different combinations and what fits the VT. But do not be afraid to ask on this thread or on this forum. That is what this community is all about. And I am sure someone has the combination you want and that person can tell you yaw or naw.

Thank you =)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Very helpful post :)

Is Aust our rims seem to be sized in inches but stud patterns and offsets in metric, so I am assuming the 5x4.5 stud pattern you mentioned is the same as 5x114.3 here.

On the topic of offset, I understand the concept of what it is but what is the acceptable range that we can use for a given rim width to ensure that it wont rub. I have seen various numbers quoted on various threads for the Velsoter OEM rim offset ranging anywhere from +42 to +49, is the actual VT OEM offset +47? And given this what range of offset would be acceptable for a given rim width, example would +45 be OK on a 18x8.0? (without resorting to spacers or camber kit, etc).

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful post :)

Is Aust our rims seem to be sized in inches but stud patterns and offsets in metric, so I am assuming the 5x4.5 stud pattern you mentioned is the same as 5x114.3 here.

On the topic of offset, I understand the concept of what it is but what is the acceptable range that we can use for a given rim width to ensure that it wont rub. I have seen various numbers quoted on various threads for the Velsoter OEM rim offset ranging anywhere from +42 to +49, is the actual VT OEM offset +47? And given this what range of offset would be acceptable for a given rim width, example would +45 be OK on a 18x8.0? (without resorting to spacers or camber kit, etc).
AW YES I am sorry for all you other countries, I didn't even think about my measurement of unit lol You can blame a past president for that. Trust me, a lot of us do not like that either. But yes 5X4.5 us equivalent to 5X114.3.

Also, one of the main reason I didn't touch on offset is because I do not mess with that very much. At Costco, we do not offer rims, just tires. We do not work on custom rims much. And when we do, we always tell the member that it isn't guaranteed that it will not have any problems just for the simple fact that if they do have problems, we are not liable. We are not engineers and therefore altering all that is definitely gamble unless you've done your homework (which, this thread would be considered homework =D). Honestly, I do not calculate what offset I can use on a my vehicle. I go to bigwheel.net and enter my year make and model and it spits out rims sizes (rim diameter and rim width AND offsets) that will work on whatever said vehicle with out altering ride height, fender stretching or other mods.

If you are wanting a crazy rim size, like I said before, definitely do your homework. There are people here who has wide rims and wide tires and crazy offsets who will tell you yes they work or no they do not work with out doing whatever it is that needs to be done for whatever rims/tire combo you want. Yes, I am %99.99 certain the VT offset is +47. I got this online somewhere, I will check when I get to work today.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Anyone think the stock tire width looks too narrow for the rims they're on?

Great writeup, btw. Might as well explain tire sizing while you're at it (e.g. width, profile, diameter, etc.).

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Anyone think the stock tire width looks too narrow for the rims they're on?

Great writeup, btw. Might as well explain tire sizing while you're at it (e.g. width, profile, diameter, etc.).
EH, I mean hyundai engineered that vehicle so by their standard the vehicle should work in harmony. Tire size, suspension, weight distribution, power, break.etc. Who am I to say that the stock tires width looks too narrow for the rims. I mean, the tire is will with in the rim width range to be on that rim. By going to a 225 you might notice a little difference. exactly .39" wider from a 215 to a 225. By doing that the ratio changes, so its 40% of 225 now rather than 215 which is exactly .31" taller. I rather have a lower profile tire than a not even noticeable wider tire. So if you want it to look wider you might want to go with a 235. I heard someone here has that on their VT and he said it doesn't rub. But I don't know the rims offset or rim width or anything like that which is a big factor when trying to have a wide tire fit and not rub. I bet it looks and drives great. Better handling and what not. BUT your speedo might change and I bet the tires are probably more expensive too. As my everyday driver car, I will stick with as stock as I can and just change the rim design.

I thought about touching base on tire sizing and probably will when I have more time. It isn't that heard but it is good to know the tire size differences between the OE size and a tire you are wanting to upgrade to. I have a program on excel to calculate everything you need to know. But there are website, heck even freaking phone apps can do it for you. Plus those links I added on the bottom of that original post gives everything you need to know about that.

But thanks to all who liked the post =) took about an hour to type up and edit so it is easy to understand.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the information it was very useful.

One question - what exactly is a wheel spacer ? and how will it help our VTs or is it more of the appearance thing ?

I am presuming it is something to make the tires flush (or stick out of the car).

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information it was very useful.

One question - what exactly is a wheel spacer ? and how will it help our VTs or is it more of the appearance thing ?

I am presuming it is something to make the tires flush (or stick out of the car).
A wheel spacer is suppose to make your wheels stick out a little more on your car. I guess with out it the vt wheels sink in a little and people use the spacers to make them flush with the car. I seriously hope people are using them to make them stick out because that is ghetto.

I am going to assume that it will help your handling since it is a wider stanch. And I guess people like the flush look. I for one like to tuck in my wheels. Had a bagged accord, had this accord I am driving now tuck 18's which looked sick and now I am rocking these enkie that I am currently tucking the wheels in the fender. I rather my wheels tuck under my fender then sit flush. But that is how I like my stance. I am not all about auto crossing at all. I am more about looks. I don't race my cars. Nor do I show them off, that is just how I like my cars. I have yet to pay too much attention to the difference between a vt with or with out spacers. I think I have seen before and after and I have to say I don't see too much difference. But non the less, depending on how they look, I might myself add them to my vt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts