Veloster Turbo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
These are also 20's on a Veloster.

This one must be lowered a smidgen. This is the wheel gap I want to run. I think the wheels and tires look nice at this size. I said it once but the fenders look like they were designed for 20's. The gap is the same all the way around the fender.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Don't understand the allure of running big wheels on a tiny car IMO.
Are 20's really that big. 2" bigger than stock. Around here big wheels are 24's and bigger. I respect everyone's opinion, I guess I'm looking more of the disadvantages of the size than opinions of what looks good or bad.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Don't understand the allure of running big wheels on a tiny car IMO.
I agree. 18's are as big as you should go imho. but everyone has different taste. Which I totally get and respect.

Are 20's really that big. 2" bigger than stock. Around here big wheels are 24's and bigger. I respect everyone's opinion, I guess I'm looking more of the disadvantages of the size than opinions of what looks good or bad.
You think 2" isn't a lot, but it is. it affect a lot. speedo, handling, acc and decc(abs). It can affect more than you think. Also, going with a bigger rim means a smaller sidewall in most cases in order to have it fit more properly. which means your rims are more unprotected, harsher ride, and you can run into the issue of rubbing.

I am not trying to convince you to not to do it. Just make sure you understand what you are getting into. Bigger rims like 20's can make your car drive differently is done incorrectly. However, if done correctly, you can have a decent enjoyable ride. Keep in mind it isn't JUST the rim diameter. Rim width, offset, and tire size is what separates ride quality and cosmetics. It is a lot to know. If just want to figure out what those guys are running, best thing to do is to PM them and ask. other than that, you have to get it right the first time when you buy rims unless they are going to let you try it on before buying. Make sure you ask questions. There are TONS of info on here that talks about wheel fitment. Most are for 18's, some are for 19's, I really don't know much about 20's here. I know there are guys on the nav forum.

Just search using google. not the forums. search using google by typing something like this in the google search bar "20" wheel fitment site:velosterturbo.org" OR "site:veloster.org". something like that. search and read A LOT!

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
This one must be lowered a smidgen. This is the wheel gap I want to run. I think the wheels and tires look nice at this size. I said it once but the fenders look like they were designed for 20's. The gap is the same all the way around the fender.
Nope!

I don't believe it. And besides, who is going to lower it a smidgeon?

I went out and looked at my VT and the distance between the door sill and the pavement looks identical.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nope!

I don't believe it. And besides, who is going to lower it a smidgeon?

I went out and looked at my VT and the distance between the door sill and the pavement looks identical.
I was basing my judgement off the other pics. The yellow one seems to have less wheel gap than the other ones. Besides the lowered one. So you're saying that the ride height in the yellow is identical to the ride height of yours? Sorry. Just a bit confused by your statement.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I agree. 18's are as big as you should go imho. but everyone has different taste. Which I totally get and respect.

You think 2" isn't a lot, but it is. it affect a lot. speedo, handling, acc and decc(abs). It can affect more than you think. Also, going with a bigger rim means a smaller sidewall in most cases in order to have it fit more properly. which means your rims are more unprotected, harsher ride, and you can run into the issue of rubbing.

I am not trying to convince you to not to do it. Just make sure you understand what you are getting into. Bigger rims like 20's can make your car drive differently is done incorrectly. However, if done correctly, you can have a decent enjoyable ride. Keep in mind it isn't JUST the rim diameter. Rim width, offset, and tire size is what separates ride quality and cosmetics. It is a lot to know. If just want to figure out what those guys are running, best thing to do is to PM them and ask. other than that, you have to get it right the first time when you buy rims unless they are going to let you try it on before buying. Make sure you ask questions. There are TONS of info on here that talks about wheel fitment. Most are for 18's, some are for 19's, I really don't know much about 20's here. I know there are guys on the nav forum.

Just search using google. not the forums. search using google by typing something like this in the google search bar "20" wheel fitment site:velosterturbo.org" OR "site:veloster.org". something like that. search and read A LOT!
All very good points. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'd say get what you want, but keep everything in mind everyone has stated, weight will be a huge factor and make the car slower. I wouldn't go any larger than 19's personally.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
True about the weight. Especially if it isn't a name brand (name brand usually means more expensive especially in 20's), non name brand wheels (cheap wheels) are not quality so expect them to get bent up easily and will weigh a lot more than top brands. AND 20" tires cost more too so if you decide to go the cheap route, again expect your vt to not handle as good in wet or dry weather. and expect cheap tires to be noisy too.

It gets expensive going 20's if you want quality stuff. Tires will be needed every 2 years with extremely low profile 20's. so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Name brands to me imo are Michelin, Bridgestone BF Goodrich(Michelin owns BFG). Mid grade are continentals, pirelli, yokohama, MAYBE goodyear. IMO.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I was basing my judgement off the other pics. The yellow one seems to have less wheel gap than the other ones. Besides the lowered one. So you're saying that the ride height in the yellow is identical to the ride height of yours? Sorry. Just a bit confused by your statement.
I'm saying the yellow Veloster doesn't look lowered to me. I already gave you the reasoning behind this statement, I compared it to mine.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
The 1st wheels look badazz, but please don't do 20's...I mean do what you want, but it's seriously going to look like a roller skate. 19's are max for this car IMHO & 19's are still too big, unless you want to roll at stock height & fill in the wheels gap a little. Good Luck

Reactions: MyDianaZ06

·
Registered
675 Posts
im actually considering going on 17 and light weight. trying to find the balance between looks and drive-ability. if anyone has an idea where i can get a nice set up and at the sametime light and strong wheels let me know.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
19's aren't too big..:) They are perfect

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
^^^^^^I stand corrected!!! Didn't know you were rolling 19's Bro!!! They look perfect, but 20's would seriously be pushing it...IMO! KInd of takes the Tuner feel away. Gens can slide with 20's but they look a little big as well. I saw a Gen last week with some 5 spoke Stance 20's & it looked a little overpowered by the rims. Your car doesn't look overpowered with the 19's.

Reactions: MyDianaZ06

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
^^^^^^I stand corrected!!! Didn't know you were rolling 19's Bro!!! They look perfect, but 20's would seriously be pushing it...IMO! KInd of takes the Tuner feel away. Gens can slide with 20's but they look a little big as well. I saw a Gen last week with some 5 spoke Stance 20's & it looked a little overpowered by the rims. Your car doesn't look overpowered with the 19's.
yep...I wanted slightly larger and lighter.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts