Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search the forum without success.

Is it just me, or does anyone else really dislike the much less aggressive styling of the current VT?

I have a 2014 and put the Sequence spoiler on as well as rims. It has a fantastic, aggressive stance.

The new model looks so blah that I won't even consider it as my next vehicle. Looks like so many basic sedans now, barely anything unique (unlike the previous body style).

Anyway, super bummed that they got away from the more unique / aggressive style. I would have considered the "N" as my next DD. Not now.

YMMV

g

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,439 Posts
Yes opinions go both ways on the 2nd gen cars. People on both sides of the fence for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure... would be curious as to what the majority prefer... and why anyone would prefer the 2nd gen design.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Does not matter what the majority prefer. Some go by looks, some go by what has a warranty, some on features, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
i don't like the look or the fact that i can't get heated seats without buying all the extra crap i don't want.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ trdtoy: Maybe try to not invalidate my inquiry, lol. It matters because I am curious. Just because you are not interested doesn't mean others may not also be curious.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Not trying to invalidate your inquiry. This has been asked before many times already from others curiosity. Some even made a poll for it. Check other social media outlets other than here as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, sorry for the mis-interpretation.

I couldn't find anything here on VT.org so I thought I'd ask.

Anyway, have a great Sunday!

Not trying to invalidate your inquiry. This has been asked before many times already from others curiosity. Some even made a poll for it. Check other social media outlets other than here as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the 1st gen suits being photographed much better then the 2nd. The first gen was also a much more ambitious styling exercise that really worked. One problem with continuing a generation is fitting it into the range. It is clear that Hyundai had a fair bit of artistic freedom with the first gen, but with the 2nd, they had to create a car to look more familiar with the rest of Hyundai's cars. The 2nd gen is still a fine looking car, but maybe it's trying too hard to be as unique as the 1st gen was.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the 1st gen suits being photographed much better then the 2nd. The first gen was also a much more ambitious styling exercise that really worked. One problem with continuing a generation is fitting it into the range. It is clear that Hyundai had a fair bit of artistic freedom with the first gen, but with the 2nd, they had to create a car to look more familiar with the rest of Hyundai's cars. The 2nd gen is still a fine looking car, but maybe it's trying too hard to be as unique as the 1st gen was.
yeah, the squaring off of the rear hatch and the removal of the bumps over the wheels for those sad lines they put on the fenders to replace them are just too little to make the car as agressive as the first one. the swooped down hatch on the first gen makes the car so unique and an awesome blend of coupe / hatchback, the gen 2 looks more like any hatchback. though i do like the taillights better on the new generation for sure and there's a lot of nice upgrades like the N package and the multi link rear suspension.

By the way, anybody know if you can swap the multi link rear end into a gen 1? Maybe @trdtoy ?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
yeah, the squaring off of the rear hatch and the removal of the bumps over the wheels for those sad lines they put on the fenders to replace them are just too little to make the car as agressive as the first one. the swooped down hatch on the first gen makes the car so unique and an awesome blend of coupe / hatchback, the gen 2 looks more like any hatchback. though i do like the taillights better on the new generation for sure and there's a lot of nice upgrades like the N package and the multi link rear suspension.

By the way, anybody know if you can swap the multi link rear end into a gen 1? Maybe @trdtoy ?
No, can't be swapped over. Different chasis between the two gens

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think any Veloster ever made is good looking. I don't care about warranty as I do all my own work. I bought the Veloster for the fun to drive factor. I am very happy with it. I have two other cars, both better looking, but they are a bit weak in acceleration. Actually the Miata is way weak in acceleration.

·
Registered
30 Posts

You're right about the accent lines over the fenders.

2017 vs. 2019 Hyundai Veloster: What's the Difference? - Autotrader

They are bit too concept-car like and break any 'flow'. I also found the rear to look a little pinched for the 2nd gen. but anyway, it is what it is. I too have had the thought of swapping the rear suspension for the new one. The two cars are on different generation chassis architectures however. A real shame. It may be a huge improvement for the 1st gen if a bolt-on swap could be done. I don't lose complete faith however, there was still a racing series set up for these cars were a lot of control/dynamic upgrades were tested and proven. It is not impossible to make this car good in corners, just at what sacrifice. The last US fiesta ST had the same type of rear suspension as the 1st gen VT and that receives raving critical reviews for hot-hatchiness. Improvements to the 1VT can be done, it just takes time, patience, and money.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Been using that proven knowledge in my own racing foray. My AX rival is a FiST. Great guy and fantastic competition.

Reactions: Rustbeltbrett

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
And driver mod lol.
I’m over a decade deep just doing as many events as much as possible. Keep the car the same and get more mods when needed. Parts wear out and upgrade them. It’s worked for me for 6 years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're right about the accent lines over the fenders.
View attachment 106184
2017 vs. 2019 Hyundai Veloster: What's the Difference? - Autotrader

They are bit too concept-car like and break any 'flow'. I also found the rear to look a little pinched for the 2nd gen. but anyway, it is what it is. I too have had the thought of swapping the rear suspension for the new one. The two cars are on different generation chassis architectures however. A real shame. It may be a huge improvement for the 1st gen if a bolt-on swap could be done. I don't lose complete faith however, there was still a racing series set up for these cars were a lot of control/dynamic upgrades were tested and proven. It is not impossible to make this car good in corners, just at what sacrifice. The last US fiesta ST had the same type of rear suspension as the 1st gen VT and that receives raving critical reviews for hot-hatchiness. Improvements to the 1VT can be done, it just takes time, patience, and money.
yeah, the more i look at it it's the wing design that throws the rear off for me. personally when i autox my gen 1 I get a little bit of the "nervous" rear end from the torsion beam deflection, but it's only for a split second. it's really not terrible. for what the car is - and the price it was offered at - it's a fantastic machine. That continues with the gen 2, it just doesn't do it for me as much aesthetically. it'd be interesting to see what it would look like without those "swoopy" lines on the sides. I bet bland, but better

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
FWIW, the gen2 is setup much better stock than the gen1. However if I’m gonna pay 20k+ for a new race car, better off for me to cage and logbook my VT and drive my old Kia as a daily or find an accent hatch or nav tech as my daily.

or buy a logbooked cayman, which is what I really want.

Reactions: Rustbeltbrett
1 - 20 of 23 Posts