Veloster Turbo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
'85 VW Scriocco 1.8L 8v, with the sun roof, and electric windows, and AC, and everything else heavy, except power steering. It was 2200 lbs (which was very heavy for that type of car) with 90 hp stock :). With cams and exhaust I dynoed 84HP on the front wheels. My previous car was a lighter Scirocco, and my first car was an '89 Golf (lighter yet because of no extras) with 105 hp. So until my VT every car I bought since my first was actually slower than the last.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I hated how slow my '04 accent was, but its strange that I miss it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The biggest turtle that I've owned came to me after totaling my beloved 85 BMW 535is days before starting a job where I needed to commute 60 miles a day - back in like 2003(?).

I was broke and couldn't get credit for a car loan and was way behind in my bills - I was desperate.

I went to an estate sale up the street from me and the grand turtle of them all was there in the garage. A 1981 Datsun Sentra Coupe "by Nissan" with faded paint and 30,000 miles on it that was a shockingly base model. It had no options. It didn't have power steering, windows or locks, a rear defroster or even a radio. It did have 2 great things - an eager 5sp MT and air conditioning. I wrote a check for $700 and it was mine.

As embarrassing as it was to drive it - it had its charms. It weighed nothing and between its comically small tires and 5sp it was actually fun to drive and fast enough to be viable on the highway. Its fuel mileage, on the other hand, puts the VT to shame - to shame I say! It got 30 mpg in the city and 42mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
96 toyota carolla. with 238000 on it when i finaly traded it for my VT 0-60 in 11 seconds on a good day when i clocked it with my stop watch on my phone.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I sold my ’84 z28 with a 383 when I graduated high school (this was in ’05). I needed something more reasonable and reliable while I was away at school. I bought a ’00 cavalier with NO options. It didn't even have a tilting stearing wheel. Talk about shell shock. That thing was slow, but I LOVED that cavalier. I drove it until I got t-boned and got the VT. I had some stellar times in that car. To start, it was black, but it was named “Red Car”.

One good story started while I was still in school. My roommate and I decided to hook a fuel pump up to the washer fluid tank. We routed it to spray out just above the rear license plate. It was good for pedestrians who wander behind the car, tailgaters, friends grabbing something from the trunk, and people that look down while stopped behind me at a light on a cloudless day. ANYWAY, the best part was that I was too lazy to use a fuse and wired it directly to the battery. Fast forward about 5 years: A buddy and I are driving down the interstate. We notice a burning smell. A few seconds later, my buddy says, “your center console is smoking!” I open the console (this is where the button for the pump was) and flames shoot out. I grabbed the button and RIPPED it out to hopefully break the short. I then slammed the console closed again. We didn’t even pull over. haha

That car was as exciting to drive as any super car. Just not for the same reasons. It never left me stranded though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most of the cars you guys talk about are still not as nearly bad a lifted jeep , about the only car that is slower then a jeep is a geo metro

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My previous car was a 2007 Toyota Yaris... 0-60 mph is around 9 seconds on a good day...when I switched to VT, I felt like it was the fastest car in the world...than I slowly got used to the power, therefore I blew a crap load of money to get it to go even faster... but today I came across this interesting video of somebody turbocharging their Toyota Yaris....and spoiler alert...this Yaris would destroy our VT stock lol
I had an echo before the vt, which is the same thing as the yaris. I had a decent number of mods in it. I could get that thing to move for what it was worth. It's not tuned or turboed but still for a little engine like that...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I drove a 2012 Veloster n/a... Not hating but driving up the 405 from the 101 was a pain. Had to downshift to 4th to get speed on a hill. I've actually never driven a car with under 200hp but, sorry if I offend anyone, the Veloster n/a will not cut it on hills. Went to my dealer and got the VT.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Slow but could chirp second, 4.88' n 35's locked...D44 rear, Alloy USA axle shafts...could climb like a goat..9-10 mpgs!

started life stock...like the VT...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
^^ aren't u driving a meth turtle right now AZG? (low blow, jk jk) lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
2006 SOLAR YELLOW pt cruiser haha it was not slow but it was no VT ! it was my "Show" car IMAG0252.jpg

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
amateurs...Im still beating y'all w a humongous toyota w 78hp.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts